Domestic Leagues 2023-2024 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2023.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really feel like we've had this. I just can't quite remember.

Also, to be fair (or accurate) in the Serie A situation above, he does show them sequentially at first. He just then re-raises the yellow to make the point that he got both. I like the mechanic, if you start from the general acceptance of how quick cards can be in Italy.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think this is generally accepted as correct. Though I'm not sure policies on this are written down anywhere, honestly.

I am more wondering about whether or not this is accurate. How did she show a player yellow three minutes after sending her off? There's no VAR in that league, so it's not like an OFR happened and then there was dissent minutes later after the call was unchanged. I'd be interested in video here.

3. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
  4. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    https://football-italia.net/lotito-serie-a-needs-a-third-institution-forced-defeat-for-lazio/

Lazio President said this dramatic nonsense

I wonder the reaction if an MLS coach said this dramatic soliloquy about the performance of one of the replacement refs.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Pretty ironic that of all people to suspend a referee for giving three cards in a match and/or "losing control of the game" it would be Gianluca Rocchi.

Just do a YouTube search of Napoli vs. Inter Milan Gianluca Rocchi.

6. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
  7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying the ref was wrong but multiple people sent off after the final whistle and Real Madrid is incredibly pissed off. By default it's controversial.

10. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are not shy are they?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, the politics are such that any call that goes against either RM or Barca is considered to be a major conspiracy :cool:

12. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    This one (Valencia vs Real Madrid) was charged before kick-off given what had happened the last time the two met for league play in Valencia in May 2023.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Unprecedented? :rolleyes: But I do think the R could have done better on timing. The better time to blow would have been as the attacker hadn’t reached/controlled the ball. Those extra 2-3 seconds make it look worse.

StarTime repped this.
  14. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not quite Clive Thomas in the 1978 World Cup blowing for full time right after the ball was struck on a corner kick.

15. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    dadman and Deacon_ repped this.
  16. Deacon_

Deacon_ New Member

Chelsea/Portland Timbers
    United States
    Jan 3, 2024
    Had anyone in the states been able to watch Match Officials Mic’d Up for the last 2 months? I haven’t been able to find either of those episodes.

17. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Spanish Primera Federación (third division) today, Sestao River Club vs CF Rayo Majadahonda. From around 2:18 (83rd minute of the match), when the home club scores to make it 2-1. Keep an eye on the visiting team's goalkeeper. After he was sent off, Rayo Majadahonda walked off the field and refused to return. The referee suspended the match in the 84th minute. His report is here.

18. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Two save everyone a few clicks (translated via Google Translate):

19. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
  20. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Would you let this goal stand? From 1:14.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If seen correctly, yes.

StarTime and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  22. ShayG

ShayG Member+

Celtic
    United States
    Aug 9, 2021
    I guess it’s already in the net by the time the keeper spots the second ball?

StarTime repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two pretty big ones from the Marseille : PSG match:

1:28 of video - DOGSO red via VAR; somehow, despite already being on a yellow, the defender didn't get a 2CT live for this. Bastien did give a dissent card to a different player before the OFR (for protesting the foul) and then another one after the OFR (for protesting the red). So this ended up being quite the event.

2:49 of video - offside decision to annul a goal. I get it. I guess you have to give the offside. But under the "would anything else have changed if the attacker wasn't there" framing, it would be hard to answer the affirmative.

24. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    First foul without at least yellow is the type of oversight that if it happened the last 5 weeks in MLS would say "typical replacement ref". I don't get how a Ligue 1 ref doesn't give minimum yellow, or no AR advice for one.

For the offside one, I feel like I've seen that said here a number of times with goal-nullifying offside calls because of the offside offense "likely not changing the material result of the play", but to my memory most games where this type of thing happens calls this live, or VAR intervenes to remove the goal. Seems much more accepted and "what the game expects" to call goalkeeper interference as offside rather than trying to bend over backwards with reasons to not call it.