Domenic Mobilio 1969-2004 :(

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Native Aztexan, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Domenic Mobilio passed away

Soccer great Mobilio dies of heart attack

And he was only 35. This really scares me. :(

My heart and prayers go out to Mobilio's family and Canadian fans out there.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/index.asp

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apparently he was driving home from a soccer game in the Vancouver area when he had a heart attack and crashed. He was only 35 :(

Shocking news to see a guy in athletic shape (and young) die of a heart attack.

I will never forget hearing Vic Rauter saying "Mobiliooooooo" after he scored in CSL games and with the national team. I believe he was the all time leading scorer in the CSL.

My thoughts and condolences to his friends and family. Certainly a sad day for Canadian soccer and everyone who knew Mobilio.

CSA Press Release
    Canadian Men's World Cup team Head Coach Frank Yallop tonight offered his deepest condolensces to the family of former Canadian international Domenic Mobilio, who passed away on Saturday.

"I am shocked and saddened at the news of Domenic's death and wanted to express my condolensces to his family on behalf of the Canadian Soccer Association. I had the privilege of playing with Domenic and he was not only a terrific player but a great person. This is a terrible loss to the Vancouver, British Columbia and Canadian soccer community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Yallop heard the news late Saturday night while in Los Angeles attending the MLS Awards Gala.

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mobilio had 25 caps for Canada from 1986-1997. He scored three goals for the national team:

1993 (WCQ) scored versus Honduras in a 3-1 victory for Canada
    1993 (WCQ) scored in El Salvador in a 2-1 Canada victory
    1993 (WCQ) scored the winning goal in a 2-1 victory for Canada over Australia.

He didn't score a lot of goals for Canada, but everytime that he did... it was an important goal.

His last cap came on November 9th, 1997 during a WCQ against the USA in Vancouver.

4. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    didn't he used to play for the baltimore blast in the old misl?

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes he won the MISL newcomer of the year in 1989. As far as I can tell, he played until 1991 or 92.

Domenic Mobilio's stats with the Vancouver 86ers/Whitecaps:

1987 22gp 12 goals
    1988 30gp 22 goals
    1989 16gp 12 goals
    1990 26gp 17 goals
    1991 31gp 26 goals
    1992 11gp 4 goals
    1993 17gp 11 goals
    1994 18gp 7 goals
    1995 9gp 1 goal
    1996 25gp 14 goals
    1997 29gp 22 goals
    1998 17gp 6 goals
    1999 17gp 7 goals
    2000 12gp 6 goals
    -------------------
    280gp 167 goals

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

He would have played the 2001 season for the Whitecaps as well, unfortunately the Whitecaps couldn't find (or wouldn't) the $15,000 to pay for the insurance that his indoor team (detroit) wanted to guarantee they'd be re-imbursed if he was somehow injured playing for the Whitecaps. His deal will the Detroit team would have paid him $100,000 a year for three years, the Caps were offering him $25,000 for the season and he desperately wanted to accept that amount. So he had to announce his retirement from the outoor game at the age of 32 because the Whitecaps under their new owner (who nearly killed the team) didn't think he was worth a total of $40,000 for one season. To top it off I beleive that the Detroit team folded soon after.

Shame.

7. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I have the press clipping from the 2001 retirement announcement. It claims Mobilio scored 170 goals and had 25 assists in 285 games. Perhaps they included playoffs or something.

8. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Perhaps, but I got his stats from a soccer player history website. Chances are they are wrong.

9. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Yes, he played with us back in the 80's. He was very popular with the fans. He might as well been an Oriole. I posted more about his popularity on the Canadian supporters' site (Voyaguers).

My sincerest condolences...

10. Becks23

Becks23 New Member

Jul 4, 2003

i remember that goal quite well, 9 years old @ Commonwealth :)

RIP