Does Zach Need to Go on a Diet?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Thomas Flannigan, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I am just offering this as a possibility. Last year, he got some flak early in the season for being overweight. He seemed to lose some of it and was more effective. He has not been very effective lately. It is not all his fault, but he may play better at a lower weight.
    We will have a nice, long offseason to think about it after giving away the winning goal in the final 2 minutes 3 straight games, and losing a 6th consecutive game to LA.

2. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Zach's fault. Why not just line up 10 people on the goal line?

3. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I said it was not all his fault that we are in a tailspin. It is his fault if he is overweight. The guy may be the best US keeper but not when he is is this fat.

4. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't look tubby, but I know he is overweight.

5. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still better then Henry Ring

6. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    As a Chicago sports fan, I am a little sick of watching gifted players eat themselves out of a career. Soccer is one sport where you can't be fat. Frank Thomas may get away with weighing 290 pounds and hitting .231, but in soccer, the margin of error is much smaller. Greg Luzinski retired when he was 33, with a good 5 years left, but he had grown the fattest ass in Cook County. A shame, really. Zach has great talent, a great work ethic and is a good role model for the young. But he is too fat to play effectively in the MLS.
    Zach played stellar football when he lost weight last summer. He is not playing stellar football now, and there is not much time left to go on a diet.

7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of those goals tonight was Zach's fault.

8. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in my house he doesn't. I change the channel when Frank is up.

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Zach is, if I recall correctly, on a pace to stop more shots this year than any previous year. I don't think his weight has anything to do with anything.

Later,
    COZ

10. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Entering yesterday's game he had the 2nd best GAA in the league behind Joe Cannon, 7 shutouts (only 1 behind Cannon, good for the second in the league), and only two keepers (Rimando and Howard) had faced more shots. So, I have to ask, why exactly do you feel he's not playing effectively in MLS?

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I think that because of the way he has played in the last 3 games. We had these discussions last year. His wieght seems to fluctuate quite a bit. I think we have a great keeper but I think he is a bit overweight and it is hurting his game.

12. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
    what happened to unconditional love? would you tell your wife she was fat? if you answered yes, you are a member of the pen 15 club.

13. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I think there is a conspiracy that is putting too many good restaurants in the city of Chicago and thus making some of the best athletes in the city eat too much and get fat. Zach must be traded to another team or the US will never advance to the WC semi finals.

14. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just needs to stop cooking for himself or find a girlfriend to help him eat what he cooks.

15. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe share some with DaMarcus. Kill two birds...

16. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Okay, now *this* is funny.

Later,
    COZ

17. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This debate always kills me. The best example revolves around baseball player Terry Pendleton.

In 1990, he batted .230, and everyone said he was fat.

In 1991, he weighed the same, but won the NL MVP. Suddenly, nobody was calling him fat anymore.

18. Thank you GoHawks4

Funniest post I've seen here in ages! Almost clued the boss into the fact I'm not working right now...

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are you talking about Thorton or Kebzach?

:p

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Man, I already went on mine.

down from 222 to 206.

21. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may not be surprised to learn that Chicago guidebooks advertise the Windy City as "The" city to visit if you're overweight and like to eat.

Maybe share some with DaMarcus. Kill two birds...
    My vote for Post of the Year!