Does the guy ever let up? (Rome)

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by flanoverseas, Sep 5, 2002.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Re: Re: Does the guy ever let up? (Rome)

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Columnists are just writers who express opinions. There's smart ones and dumb ones.

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I think this Romey speech is pretty funny myself. We all need a little humor now and then. Flame me now.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columnist is not a word I would use to describe Rome. Pretty funny guy if you are into that sort of schitck though.

4. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Entertainer is the word to describe Rome. Whether you're entertained by him or not, is a whole another issue.

Personally, I'm indifferent.

5. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    There are so many Jim Rome threads on BS I'm starting to think he deserves his own forum/board. What do you think? ;)

IMHO, I thought his comment on USA B-ball's loss was funny.

I'm just glad that as far as I know, he doesn't broadcast on the radio in my area. If he does I'll be glad to stay ignorant of when he does come on and which station. Why listen to this guy if you're only going to get ticked off?

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: First thing first

Actually, since the Olsens' come from California, I believe, unless you are under 18, you'd potentially be in big trouble.

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VOTE...

...with your remote.

:)

8. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    The question on my mind is will rome say the same thing about the US bball team as he said about france.

"Did Pepe la pue and Frenchy la rue suddenly forget how to play football errrrr soccer."

I wonder.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first rant of Romey that I found entertaining. He is satirically recognizing the globalization of basketball and comparing it to soccer's globalization. From xenophobia to globalization, that's a mighty big jump for Romey.

I won't jump to new opinions about Romey because the odds are 20:1 that his next rant on soccer will be completely negative.

11. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Guys at Sportcenter most have listened to Romey the other day.

After highlights of the USA's loss against the Yugo's, the Sportscenter announcer says, "Congratualtions America, you are now a soccer playing nation!"

If sportscenter says it it must be true. Rejoice BigSoccer members!!!!! ;)

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Re: Re: First thing first

Sarcastic? You mean like that Rome guy?

Actually, I have being saying for a while that it will be impossible for the USA to continue to be good as basketball if all its best athletes are now choosing to play soccer. (hehe)

13. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    A thread about Jim Rome or Sportscenter is as likely to recieve "relax, just ignore him/them" comments as is a thread about MLS attendance scoring a "pathetic."

MOVE JIM ROME NOW!!!! . . . It looked like a lot fewer highlights on TV.

14. RoHo

RoHo New Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Actually, listening to the Tony Kornheiser show the other day, Tony read some emails and one of them was from a guy from Argentina who wrote "Mine eyes have seen the glory" in spanish.

It cracked the guys on the radio up.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ou know, I've been forced (through lack of cable and being new to the area) to watch MLS games at bars, surrounded by rednecks making snide comments about my manhood and other issues, making it mighty difficult for me to enjoy the game, at least without watching my back. Forget that it was only one of many TV's, forget that I was a paying customer and was there first--these guys were drunk, in a herd, and mighty pissed off that there was a soccer game on the TV, and I was the guy responsible.

Uncomfortable moments like that make Rome AT HIS WORST seem pretty harmless to me.

16. IsItSnowingInSpace

Mar 20, 2000
    Orem UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, soccer is to blame for gymnastics' decline in this country. Take Jason Kreis, for example.

17. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    he said that? thats pretty funny.

i personnally find romes statement funny, and i rarely find him funny.

and geordienation, i don't think prk166 comment was offbase or dumb.

18. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Just what sports are being "globalized" Basketball has been popular in Argentina and lots of other countries for a very long time. And even if they don't play things like baseball they still have volleyball, rugby, cricket, etc. in other parts of the world. It isn't as if people in other countries don't have alternative outlets for sport already. I don't think there will be much impact whatsoever

19. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: First thing first

I was referring to your calling Baron Davis and Paul Pierce scrubs when they are real good NBA players. They lost in the WCs because: they didn't seem to care and have that drive, and teams around the world are constantly getting better.

Not a huge fan of Rome but I laughed at his "take" on this.

20. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Who's Jim Rome???

21. Jam Econo

Jam Econo Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Left of the 405
    Here's an update after the Yugo loss...

http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=652566

An excerpt:

"This is absolutely mindboggling: let me see if I have this straight: we're good at soccer but bad at basketball. Are you kidding me? My entire world is upside down. My belief system has been shattered. Up is down, black is white, right is left. I don't even know who I am anymore. I'd like to congratulate every member of team USA. Take a bow, fellas, you earned it. Because of you, the youth of America are going to think we are a soccer-playing nation, dabbling in basketball. Never mind Team USA gear, I'll see kids wearing Clint Donovan's jersey, or whatever one of their names are."

22. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    That's why I got cable -- no more potential "Fight Club" situations to deal with when watching MLS or any other soccer on the tube.
    With you, it was rednecks; with me, it was some brothers from the hood preaching the "soccer ain't for black people, black people don't watch soccer" mantra. It sucks when you go somewhere thinking you're just going to relax and enjoy yourself and you end up feeling like you're going to have to fight your way out (or get carried out while you pick up your teeth on your way to the door).

23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Ouch! Nice shot. And now the Yugos are dancin' on our coffin, too. Takes more than arrogance to win the Gold in this one -- or even get past 5th place!

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you are a military officer, you can hump anything 16 years old or older.

- Paul

25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the game. Did Argentina's basketball players climb the ladder?