Does the guy ever let up? (Rome)

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by flanoverseas, Sep 5, 2002.

1. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    grrr, he makes me so angry. One day I might just stop listening.

2. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's so absurd it's funny... and I think that's how it's supposed to be taken.

3. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I thought it was pretty funny. I'm also picturing a guy leaning over to another at a bar, and saying, "You know, he has a point there".

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    And then puking on him.

5. I actually find that to be a pretty astute observation by Rome. It just shows how global everything in the world is today. I think its pretty funny too.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    why?

he just pimped US soccer as good and made a funny

i don't listen to him, but i also don't listen to any sports radio (aside from soccer and stl cardinal games)

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shouldn't let this of all things make you angry. That's just his schtick.

But I DID stop listening to him a few months ago, and I generally feel a lot better every day. :)

8. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! Glad to hear Romey's losing his mind. :D
    And his so-called followers. ;)
    Wrack 'em.

BTW is there an Argentine basketball announcer version of Jack Edwards?

9. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I'll try to be a little more clear. Then I'll go to the idiot proof smilies

If I hated him so much, why do I listen?

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "And the land of massive unemployment and run away inflation are on to the quarterfinals."

11. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I lose.

The over/under on a Rome thread after today's take was 4 p.m. EST. I took the under.

12. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Monster should be here soon to say:

Who's Jim Rome?

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know Jim Rome is jesting. But if you want to blame anybody, blame ESPN and Fox. Since ESPN and Fox became available in Argentina, kids got to watch Michael Jordan and all the other NBA stars and they all wanted to play basketball. Now basketball is the second most popular sport in Argentina, easily overcoming Rugby among the young people, and so we are developing a generation of pretty good basketball players. Not good enough to beat the dreamteamers on a consistent basis, but good enough to give them a game and beat them if they have an off-night. Hell, that is probably why Argentina cannot get past the first round in the FIFA world cup. It's all basketball's fault! (hehe)

14. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew someone was going to post it. :D
    Good one CrewDust.

"My economy have seen to be gloomy, Argentina beats USA."

15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    As far as I am concerned, Romey said nothing offensive. You guys are classic. I can't believe he would blame soccer. Of course its soccer's fault. :)

This was a compliment. It also was republishing our World Cup finish. Relax.

With regards to the Argentina post, I think he honestly has a legitimate point.

The globalization of other sports is going to undermine the "athlete" talent pool in these countries.

As a result, this inherently is going to help US Soccer which is building from a smaller "athlete" talent pool (in terms of the fact that most kids in Argentina/Brazil for the most part want to play soccer, whereas in the States, they could want to play football, basketball, baseball or any of those fricking X-games things, swimming etc.) and one which isn't ever going to dwindle.

So rack Romey for making some one start this thread and rack the Argentina poster for pointing this effect out.

This clearly supports the Project 2010 theory. :)

16. TRC Real Sociedad

TRC Real Sociedad New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Long Beach CA
    First thing first

If this is the "Dream Team" than I just had a three way with the Olson twins( yes, they are now legal).

Reggie Miller was the captain of the dream team, in 1988 PEOPLE( actually he wasn't the captain, who would make that moody freak the captain of anything), let that date just sink in for a second.

Ben Wallace does not play on the "Dream Team"
    This isn't our A team or B team or even our G team.

Hey Argentina, how do you like the "We didn't bring our best team" BS, don't like it do you, well maybe you will remember that next time we beat your ass at football.

As for Romey, well we will just let the little guy rant for now, he would make me laugh if I ever listened to his show. But I try not to listen to talk radio since some of the most idiotic people in the world make a living off that trash( Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reily, Dr Laura, the list goes on like a huge crap after a big meal).

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: First thing first

You are right. Scrubs like Baron Davis and Paul Pierce do not belong in the same court as talented players like Andres Noccioni and Fabricio Oberto. What the hell was coach Karl thinking picking them for the US team?

18. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    What I really want to know is how many times did he repeat it? What he said was pretty funny, Now we're good in Soccer when 2 months ago we sucked.

We all complain about the big three taking the best athletes away from soccer, but I just read an article by Steve Scott complaining that soccer was taking all the good track and field athletes. I find that funny.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    all this b.s about not bringing the real dream team and shaq and kobe and vince, f.that, no one told them not to play, they didn't want to, pardon the grammar but vince is a vagina and the rest just did not want to be on the first dream team that lost, shaq had a legit injury but injury or not he wouldnt have played, he played in 96 and got his medal, that was fine for him, but stop this crap about the real top players not being there, last i checked paul pierce, baron davis, jermaine o'neal and elton brand were allstars this year, ben wallace led the nba in blocks and rebounds this season and was the defensive player of the year, so they are a good team but all they needed was the franchise "stevie francis" on the team and they would still be undefeated -LOL..

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: First thing first

They were born in '86.

Unless you are just 18 you'd be in big trouble.

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Re: Re: First thing first

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Anyway, I'm glad most people haven't fallen victim to the proverbial mouthbreathing about this latest "tirade."

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: First thing first

I see somebody's got the Olsen twins birthday marked down!

23. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Columnists are paid to be idiots, literally. There job is to get people ticked off &, every now and then, score points with a reader to gain loyalty. I've always wondered if in real life these guys are this dumb or if they just churn out the crap to make a living.

25. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Actually whats interesting is there is a grain of truth in what he says.

I played soccer for almost 20 years but during those years I never had an inkling of an interest in the professional game in the US. Then in college I went to Europe and began watching soccer with some of my European friends and developed an interest as a spectator.

Around that time the US Dream Team were pounding people in Barcelona, and it was then that I began to hear the sour grapes about how some day European teams would be competitive and beat the US in basketball. Being open minded I conceded that it was a possibility but I also threw out the possibility that some day the US would be just as competitive in soccer. My European friends got a good laugh out of that, and were just as incredulous as any american might be about the US losing in basketball. When I returned to the US I found that I had gained a new interest in seeing the US grow as a soccer force to be reckoned with.

While I don't think there is a direct correlation, there are definitely two movements underway, and both of them involve the US vs the World.