Does Morelia need to adavance to keep 'liga interesting?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by RedBulls, Aug 1, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Going into the final round of games tonight, there is a chance that DC & Dynamo will advance - giving MLS 3 of 4 spots for the semis.

Will it take away from 'flavor' of the tourney? Will it decrease interest from south of the border?

As much as I want an MLS side to win the tourney, I think it would be good to have 2 MFL sides in the semis.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, its already been interesting and the best game of the tournement has benn an MLS v MLS match anyway.

Let the best teams win, because it was FMF fans saying it would be an al Mexican knock out group. At least with 3 MLS teams you are guarenteed an MLS team in the final.

That said i want Morelia to advance ahead of DC, just cause i hate DC. So i want to see a Houston win and a Morelia win tonight.

3. Clearly MLS is surpassing the FMF

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that 3 MLS teams advancing is actually better for the tournament in the long run. The worse the FMF teams do, the more likely they are going to be pissed and make a bigger deal about it next year. And the fans will be more upset and interested in getting revenge.

Yes, they'll be a sement of the FMF fans who will do the opposite and proclaim SuperLiga a "joke" or "exhibition" -- but it's only because those people are deep down annoyed to see Mexican teams play poorly against MLS sides.

5. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Lets hope it does put a fire under their a$$

6. geofftrojans

geofftrojans Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love this to happen as much as the next MLS fan, but can we really take these few SuperLiga matches as evidence of that. I mean, several USL division 1 and 2 teams beat MLS teams in the US Open Cup, does that mean that the USL is surpassing the MLS? I am not making a real comparison here between the two competitions, just pointing out that a few results does not necessarily mean a drastic change in talent.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    It's bigsoccer, of course we can.

8. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

I know, That was obvious when D.C. and Houston went into Mexico and won in the CCC....:rolleyes: Friggin' jagoff!

9. jaa1029

jaa1029 Member

Dec 29, 2005
    H-TOWN
    I am willing to bet the president of the Mexican Federation called Club America people and told them to let Morelia win. What do you all think?

10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    For shear entertainment value, I would like Morelia to come in second in their group, giving us 2 interleague semis. I am also concered about attendance without Chivas or America advancing.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check your sarcasim meters.

12. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    There's no I in sarcasm..... Or team......:p

13. geofftrojans

geofftrojans Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is sarcasm?

14. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

He's saying that RightHandinLube was being sarcastic...

15. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Between the CCC and Super Liga… I don’t think FMF is superior in anyway to MLS teams. The only thing that has been prove to me is that a FMF team can stomp a Pre season MLS team at 8,000 feet with smog… I don’t think you would see the same result with say.. The Rapids where they are use to playing at high altitude.

16. geofftrojans

geofftrojans Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being sarcastic. ;)

17. locster

locster Member

May 16, 2006
    Ditto.... I bet two rival tv stations would love to put aside their differences just to eliminate an mls team

18. locster

locster Member

May 16, 2006
    Smog at a provincial town...:rolleyes:

19. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Your our obviously kidding right. This has been a good showing by the MLS but to say they are superior to FMF is far fetch.

You did notice that all the games were played here in the USA. You can argue that most the FMF vs MLS games have been heavily supported by Mexican but they are still away games. And if you make that comment do give the MLS fans some credit because they have supported their teams and made some nouse. Also FMF is in preseason alot of the players havent even trained with the teams for weeks until mid last week. I know the CCC is the same for MLS but they still play one game home which makes a difference.

Also one thing that largely seperates the leagues is money. The FMF teams are very well funded and are able to buy very good players well into their prime. I know this sounds like alot of excusses but its just fact.

I love and support MLS, especially Chivas USA, but I can notice that their are huge sircom stances favoring the MLS teams. Enjoy the Cup but untill these sircome stances are balanced we still wont know where MLS stands against FMF. Although MLS is improving every year.