does futsal really help football skills?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jtowns3, Jun 15, 2004.

1. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    I heard from my friend who went on vacation in Brazil that if you play futsal or futebol de salao (sp sorry!!) you can increase your skill level and ball handling as well as your touch significantly. he told me that brazilian players played this game such as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Pele, Romario, Diego, Robino...etc... i was wondering if i should invest in a futsal ball and if it really works. my guess is that it does because Brazilians have some of the best ball skills and mastery i have ever seen! let me know please!!!

2. European16

European16 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Koln
    what is the difference between a regular soccer ball and a futsal ball ???
    is it thata the futsal ball dosent bounce as much ???

3. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    that is just a big myth...

4. Americano e Orgulho

Americano e Orgulho New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    You're correct. A Futsal ball has less bounce and is heavier. And futsal can help ball skill to include passing because it is played in small space and requires good touch. A basketball court makes a perfect field.

Note to first poster: It only helps if you have others to play with.

5. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No way its a myth. Futsal signifigantly improves close control and offensive movement. The play is 2 times faster than futebol and you have to player tighter and more compact. Its only natural that if you grew up playing that you'd develop better ball control skills and faster speed of thought.

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I believe Giovanne Elber started out as one of the best Futsal players in the world. He has great control.

Its pretty much like Jawz10 and Americano said. You're in smaller space, from endline to endline, and its a more compact environment with a different ball. Your control has to be better, your passes more crisp and quick and you must react instantaneously to what's thrown at you. Its five a side like basketball and in the same amount of space.

Here is a USA website of the real rules of the game:

http://www.futsal.com/index.htm

7. Andre_Fla81

Andre_Fla81 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Oh the good old days. Physical education classes might as well be named futsal education . hehehe

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump

9. Lenin-LHP

Lenin-LHP New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    BRASIL
    I don´t know if it really does helps. At least I don´t feel it in my case.
    I think that in futsal the court is smaller and so the passes are more accurate, so you don´t have the same type of challenges between opposit players as you have in normal football.

10. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    As with anything, if you spend enough time time doing it, I can't see how it couldn't help. For simple ball control, 1 touch passing, etc. The size and weight of ball I don't think matters as much - even indoor soccer here in the USA can have the same effect. Just the fact that you are playing and probably see MUCH more of the ball in futsal or indoor helps. It's not going to replace the rest of the skills you need, but come on - it has to have SOME positive impact - like working numbers drills, etc.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    When I used to live in Peru, around the corner from my aunt's house was 2 basketball courts with that slick concrete that's shiny and gives you no traction. Their were basketball hoops set up, and below that were 3 posts welded together to form a goal. Wasn't that wide, really. We played 4 v 4 or 5 v 5 every day, and you couldn't score from outside of 7 feet (which was ingeniously marked off by street chalk, the kind that wears out after 2 nano-seconds).

It helps tremendously.

12. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    You should apologize for saying that.

Does it help, Hell yes it does.

Let me tell you my and my brother's story.

My dad taught us to play soccer since we were 3-5 (???) so he taught us to always kick the ball the right way.
    A futsal ball "puts a handicap" on you. It's small, harder and doesn't bounce. Besides, when you play futsal there's not long balls, long runs, big spaces, etc.
    If there's something that I'm 100% sure, is that futsal may my shot much better.

When my friends kicked the futsal with their toes, my brother and I kept on kicking "the right way" and after a few years people couldn't believe that we could kick that "medicine ball" almost as hard as a regular soccer ball.

We were the only people in our neighborhood that could do that. And even today people are amazed when they see us shooting.

13. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    hauhauahuahuahuha! What I said is the truth and I don't need to apologize for nothing. I never play Futsal in my whole life and I still play great football with amazing skills, It just a natural gift!

14. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    The futsal ball is smaller and heavier. You would not want one anywhere between the legs.

15. dbdb

dbdb New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    São Paulo
    Agreed. This has happened with me. When I practiced I played soccer very well and was skilled best in dribbling, passing and creativity. I used to play futsal many times, but was the field play that I most liked and which I could play better. But anyway I always thanked for having played in games such as futsal because I could dribble in a short space, not like many field players which can't and many times throw the ball and run. It's not uncommon to see them losing the ball because threw closer to an opponent or seeing the ball going out of the field. I never liked this kind of play, and in it the player doesn't have control of the situation. With the ball closer you can manage to avoid, mislead, and use your technique to surpass your opponents.