Does Blatter and Platini have a point?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by verde-rubro, Mar 12, 2009.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    arent the nba at least going to be toning down the salaries?

atm theres players like iverson who barely play earning upwards of ten million dollars

i think a pay as u play contract is the best way forward with a lower standard salary

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    QFT. Why should I, as a Belgian, care if English teams win the next ten CL trophies? It's not like any Belgian team will ever get close to a final, regardless of how many rule changes Platini implements. Frankly, I've enjoyed several UEFA cup games far more than the CL this year, especially the earlier stages. (The group stages suck more each year).

3. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Limitng, or lessening the earnings of the top 4 will only serve to make it harder for English clubs to compete in the transfer market with Europes other big guns. Not 10 years ago our clubs couldn't compete. I'm not going to cry about it now just because they can.

If you go by the French League model and ban buy-outs and allow one side to wqualify for the CL you only make the problem more accute.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whether 1 team is permanently ahead or 4 teams makes no odds to the rest. They still have an unbridgeable gap that's just getting wider.

And again, you seem to be arguing against a point, namely limiting the champions league to one team, that absolutely nobody is making.

If you think having a top division where only 4 teams at all seem to have any chance of competing for, let alone winning the title is OK, and it's a reasonable trade-off for those clubs being very strong in Europe, then that's your call.

Personally I think it's something which people should try to avoid, but if the big clubs and their armchair fans are really all that matters in this day and age, maybe having them all leave their domestic leagues to play in european league is the natural progression.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's not earned, it's bestowed. As Richard has pointed out, the formula by which CL revenue is "shared" is skewed massively in favour of the brands in the big leagues, at the expense of the remaining competitors in the other leagues. When the fourth-placed English team can earn more by appearing in the group stages than the Champion of Greece can earn even if they went to the final, then you've got a problem.

The difference between top and bottom is 210%. I'd love to be there next time you're sharing something nice out, I could get a "fairly even" twice as much as you and we'd both walk away happy, by the sounds of it.

I wonder if Manchester United's Finance Director would invite the Chairman of Leyton Orient around to his house and then get every member of the Old Trafford Superstore, male and female, to gangrape him until he agrees to go into voluntary administration, sell the Matchroom stadium and the entire playing squad and write a cheque to Glazer Inc?

Not that it matters, as that's not a point anyone has been making/considering/mentioning in this thread, but your approach to discussion is, I must admit, great fun. In a free-wheeling, never-mind-real-life sort of a way.

Boo fucking hoo. Any football fan with any interest whatsoever in the game itself, rather than the sterile "elite level" TV spectacle would rather have an orderly, stable structure with a glass ceiling than a heap of shit with lots of fetid nothing above it.

6. andrew neave

andrew neave New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Las Vegas USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My My Platini looked pissed of at Old Trafford tonight and so did all his entourage how good was that
    I cant wait for Chelsea to knock Barcelona out next week, that will be even better LOL

Come on Platini lets see your next move against Premier league teams.
    cant wait really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling

Hello Mr Clark, what were you saying in the last Post, ???:D

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I dunno - in my last post on this thread, I was talking about revenue sharing in football. In my last post of any relevance to you, I believe I was commenting on what a complete fucktard you are. But I can't remember the details, to be honest.

8. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, you would. Because it fits in with your superior opinion on how football should be run.

Me, I like to see clubs be as successful and as good as they possibly can. If some clubs are currently struggling to acheive then they have to find their own answers to those problems, but to expect, no demand, that others compromise their own deserved success and stability in order to subsidise that is a little one-eyed. I strongly suspect that the rest of football would not bend over backwards and compromise their own success if Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal were ever in need of a financial leg-up or help to try and acheieve success.

The point I'm making is that in order to acheive what you're suggesting, the changes made would be impossible to govern. Whether you have one team or 20 involved in the CL, anyone not involved will moan about it still.

9. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    What would be impossible to govern about changing the way the TV money is handed out? Seems pretty simple to me, from an administrative perspective at least.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you really think having a big 4 head and shoulders above the rest, with no hope of it changing beyond a billionaire's intervention, is better?

...as long as it's your club.

I take it you are against clubs being restricted in their ability to achieve success? In that case are you not able to make the connection that the deliberate and largely unearrned tv cash the top 4 get limits the ability of the rest to get success?

How is CL market pool money earned exactly?

Why do you keep arguing against having just 1 team going into the champions league, despite nobody calling for it? Are you teaming up with Johan Neeskens in a "impassioned rants against imaginary arguments" tag-team?

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, I'm happy to agree that my views on such things are superior to most, but beyond that I'd also urge you to spend some time experiencing football through something other than a television.

A million people a week go to watch football. What's the capacity of Old Trafford again?

That's not strictly true though, is it? You actually just like to see Manchester United be as successful and as good as they possibly can be. And that's fine, you're a Manchester United fan, after all. But it does rather blind you to the simple facts being laid before you in this thread, which are to do with structural inequity of which no Manchester United fan has ever had cause to know much.

Talking of superior attitudes ... why don't you pop down to Bury or Stockport next time you fancy a football fix and discuss this view with the locals up there on the exposed bits of the Cemetery End?

No, what's one-eyed is the persistency with which you cling to the fiction that the money bestowed upon the leading clubs of Europe is "deserved". It's not. It hasn't been for nigh-on a generation. You're like those ultra-capitalists from around this time last year who were arguing that the City bonus culture wasn't sick it was a measure of success in a thriving market.

Don't see them around much these days, do you?

Well that's a suspicion nobody here will live to see tested.

They would be inordinately simple to govern. For a blueprint, we'd have to go back less than 20 years. But to reiterate, no one here is suggesting this can be made to happen. Because the prerequisite is that the haves abandon their greed and self-interest.

So, not going to happen, basically.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I don't see how it would damage football if the big clubs couldn't buy up all the best players. The top players would still exist, they'd just be playing for different clubs. In fact, it may improve the game as players like Tevez and Anelka would be starting every week where fans can watch them, rather than sitting on the bench.

It's not like the World Cup suffers in popularity because the rich countries can't buy up all the best third-world talent.

13. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    That's the part that really gets to me. I don't mind buying the best players you can find to make your team better; but buying for the sake of buying, buying them just so they don't play against you is petty. You have big name players going to those clubs like Real, United, Chelsea, Milan, just to warm up the bench. Why because the owners of those clubs even though they have no real need for the players on the squad, don't want these players playing against them.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This isn't simply up to the teams, though. These players willingly sign the contracts without serious regard for whether or not they'll be a regular starter. (Think SWP at Chelsea). Nothing wrong with teams wanting a deep bench, but it's a balancing act for both the team and the players finding quality talent that will also accept being part-time role players.

But this is another reason I favor equal shares of Premiership/UEFA revenues, so as to minimize the financial gap between, say, ManU's bench and Stoke's starting lineup.