Does Anything Not Offend Muslim's

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Exit16W, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    The soccer people that I deal with I have no idea how they feel about politics. We talk about the game and really nothing else. It seems to be enough.

But not here :)

2. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Is the Eastern Bunny religious. My daughter in law seems to like opening gifts under our Christmas tree. She doesn't seem to have a problem with getting stuff.

Other Moslems must hate her evil ways :)

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I asked her again today to do it.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Nope but it sure would make this thread go down easier. I'm just a big believer in the separation of church and state, even when it isn't my church and my state.

Seriously. Google "flag products" and wallow in the number of potentially unflattering uses of everybody's flag. I think it is a very poor forum for somethig that someone would hold "sacred" for religious purposes. They are big boys and girls who can make their own decisions (well, I guess at least the boys can make their own decisions) but if it were me, I wouldn't go putting sacred scripture on a flag representing man created borders.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What decision? The US military didn't have these balls specially produced. US service men simply put out a call for people to donate soccer equipment in good condition that could be distributed to Afghan and Iraqi children as part of a hearts and mind campaign. I’m sure they also regularly hand out beanie-babies and other small toys that they’ve collected. Who’s to say a small stuffed pig graciously donated by an American child won’t offend the fragile Muslim sensibilities.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If you were more astute you'd notice all the flags listed are adorned with crosses... The point being Christian's and other religious groups don't get their burkas in a bunch over such trival nonsense.

8. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Re: Doesn't anyone think of the children?

The religious version of "but Clinton did it!"... Your losing your touch, we went past a whole page of threads before anyone mentioned the Christians...

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

'Cept I'm not trying to do anything but make fun of the OP.

It's clearly silly that anyone would choose to get worked up about about "allah" being written on a soccer ball (inadvertently)... but it's equally silly for people to be trying to score anti-Muslim political points about it too. I mean, this is a culture where slapping someone upside the head with a shoe might be the most disrespectful thing you can do, and we are (again, inadvertently) "encouraging" kids to kick religious iconography - that it's blasphemous to even reproduce.

Reasonable people wouldn't get too worked up about it, and reasonable people would understand why it might be viewed as insulting. I'm just pointing out that the OP is being just as unreasonable as those "insulted" by the inadvertent error.

FWIW, I understand why Western people might find the dung painting of the Virgin Mary "blasphemous", but I also think the people who would want the art banned are being ridiculous.

Your concern warms me. :)

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta

They're not wanting it banned, they simply don't want it funded with public tax dollars.

11. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I should be allowed to disrespect any beleif I want. If I want to kick anything with Allah's name on it, and I own it, then that is my right.

12. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002

What crap. Oops I'm sorry. Instead I should say "link?"

13. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I must tell you if you want to give them soccer equipment like a ball it should just be a ball. Brand name size and that's it, and throw in a pump.

14. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Try again. They were English, Danish, Swedish flags. Think kid.

15. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    How come that never happens to me? I am a catholic. What people is that mocking your faith? Why don't I believe this?

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not consistent with Giuliani trying to evict the museum. And it completely begs the question of public funding of art, and even the definition of art.

The funding Giuliani tried to remove is concerned with museum operations, not art creation. I'm uncertain how travelling displays pay artists, especially when admission is charged, much like it was for Ofili's work.

Really, you might as well admit the Taliban were correct in bombing those ancient Buddhas into oblivion. It's almost entirely equivalent.

17. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002

Oh yeah. I was saying the same thing over lunch today. It was like this, "Hey AM, Could you pass the mint tea?" and I was like, "Sure! You know, I was thinking, regarding taking away public funding for art, I might as well admit the Taliban were correct in bombing those ancient Buddhas into oblivion. It's almost entirely equivalent."

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on--I know those flags have crosses, but that doesn't make them religious symbols. I know you now better.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe he dresses like a nun? That would do it.

:D

20. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
  21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Heh? Secularists are mocking Christians on this very board every day. TBH, I think atheists are even thinner skinned than Muslims. Thankfully they are less violent.

22. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that it's not just religions although they're the primary whiners about things like this. Try publicly burning an American flag in many parts of the US. Man, does anything NOT offend those prickly whiny Americans?

23. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, he can thank the fact that America is primarily secular materialist consumerist for his continued existence. Now if secular materialist consumerists here ever start getting easily outraged then we're in trouble!

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're too busy getting high.

25. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Umm. Are you paying attention? The Saudi flag on the ball had a quote from the Koran. Those three flags have protestant crosses. Explain to me the difference.