Does Anything Not Offend Muslim's

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Exit16W, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't know if I had any buddaist on the team. What did they have to get done before they could play?

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Does Anything Not Offend BS Posters?

Your pithy & insightful posts have not been accepted by your peers? For shame!

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Re: Does Anything Not Offend BS Posters?

I have no peers on this site none. There are a few coaches here that I like. Like Benji who has the goal keeping site he is very good for new Keepers to use.

And a few others here and their, but that is it man.

Your not one of those are you

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all real choked up about it, too.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know which is more troubling:

The US military didn't know what was on the Saudi flag or the US military knew but didn't think it would piss off Muslims to put it on a ball for kids to kick.

I believe it was done with the best of intentions and was a great gesture but if higher ups couldn't figure this out after the last 6 years...

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's more troubling to me is the resort to hysterical outrage at each and every perceived slight of Islam by a radicalized and organized minority. Yeah, the US military should have thought this through, but blasphemous soccer balls are pretty far down the list of Things Which Are Wrong In The Muslim World.

7. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Re: Doesn't anyone think of the children?

Oh,no.I don't rate that "work of art" at all.I wouldn't even call them artists.But Rudolf Giuliani specifically said that he was a catholic and he wouldn't stand anything that degraded Jesus' mother.

So 1)he was not judging it as a piece of art,2)his anger was similar in its intolerance to the ones by the Muslims in the article.

Now,do I get your respect or not?

8. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Big don't we love each other anymore?

Read my answer to your post. She wrote forget what she wrote tell you the truth. She said something to the effect I got 7 points for racist trolling. That was an excuse to give me some points I realize that.

That was a joke not a troll and it was not racist. I will put my lack of racism against yours any day and twice on sunday.

But there are plenty of racist here hidden ones I have no doubt about that. To bad we can not see who they hire and who they rent their appartments too then you would see. Can't see nothing on this.

Get rid of this political part of the site. Politics does not go with anything especially sports. This is after alkl a soccer site.

A good piece of advice which you will obviously not take too bad.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But that is exactly the point.

Everyone should know the overreaction and feelings of slight something like this could generate. This should never have even been an issue.

And they're not angry at blasphemous soccer balls. I'd say they're more angry about putting part of their sacred text on a ball to be kicked around.

Most Christians wouldn't be very happy with people kicking a Bible around and plenty of Americans wouldn't like seeing their flag desecrated.

10. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those balls are all over the place every World Cup year. I've never heard any Christian groups complaining about the fact that they have English, Danish, Swedish, etc. flags on them.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Holy crap.

READ WHAT I WROTE.

12. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    lol

The point is not that there's a certain national flag printed on the face of a football but that there's a sacred text printed on something that is to be kicked around.

13. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    ........lol

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Does Anything Not Offend BigGuy?

I certainly can't or won't match your abuse of the English language!

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be honest - while this particular problem is minor... it has a hell of a lot more merit than this annual bust-up we have to suffer thru here in the States.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a mod, I should probably be careful about engaging in banter with someone who's just received an infraction from. I'm not piling on you, I promise.

I'm not the thought police, I can't guess at everyone's motives. You wrote what you wrote, and based on what I've seen from you I assumed you meant it. If it becomes evident over time that you're not that way, then a post like that would get different treatment--context and past history do weigh in on these things.

Sorry, this forum is here to stay. It's not my decision to make, but since I volunteered to moderate it I obviously don't have a problem with it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know all this. All things considered, it shows a remarkable lack in insight or plain common sense on the part of whoever made this decision.

But it still boils down to this--the people who authorized these soccer balls are guilty of not being fully attuned to the sensitivities of people who riot angrily over something completely silly. Yeah, it was bad judgement. But this is the 21st ********ing century. I'm tired of tiptoeing around the religious sensibilities of angry mobs.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well I'm afraid we better get used to it for now, because I don't see that changing any time soon. Muslim civil servants now are suing a municipality over here because they want to remove Christmas trees and easter eggs from their workplace.

If we've come to a point where a chocolate easter egg has become offensive, than it's pretty much almost game over, as far as I am concerned.

19. mmk786

mmk786 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    so because we are in the 21st century we should be allowed to disrespect the beliefs of others and they should like it?

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if they like it or not. It's the 21st Century, and we should have stopped deferring to sensitivities of the extremely religious a long time ago.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yes. As a Catholic I'm confronted almost weekly with people mocking my faith and I don't really care. Just because something is sacred to you doesn't mean it should be sacred to everyone else as well.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Perhaps they should really be angry at a government that puts sacred muslim text on the primary political symbol of their country. By doing that, they invited the desecration- both intentional and unintentional.

23. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Re: Doesn't anyone think of the children?

Yeah...I believe that would be.

I thought this thread would be about "Opus."

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are you high?