Does anybody care about the Toyota Cup?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by The Potter, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003

It is more of South American cup because of all the Influx of S. American players who have based themselves in Europe over the years. One example out of many stand out: 1992 Barca-v-Sao Paolo. the fact that Romario played for Barca which was on a roll in the early 90's, yet lost that match.

Ok, hmmm 2000 Real Madrid-v-Boca. the fact that Roberto Carlos was playing for Real!!!

This is not say much, but generally there have been a trickle of Europe based sides that have S.Americans playing. But usually the financial aspects help alot of S.American clubs that usually run on little or no moneys.

2. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003

I do remember a few matches that were close contests, but really It should go back to a 90 minute, golden goal affair. please dont' go to penalties,

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Why not? - in the 1970's no European Champions that took part in the competition lost. Feyernoord 1970, Ajax 1972, Bayern 1976 were the only European champions to take part and they each won. Overall record for the 1970's South America 4 wins Europe 4 wins - hardly South American dominance.

I think the tournament does have quite a bit of significance for the European teams, it just ranks behind their domestic league, European competition and in some countries the domestic cup. Any team generally wants to win any tournament they enter, it's just this trophy is quite low on the list (although I would say it would rank noticably ahead of the European Super Cup).

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Wow, that's two teams each with one South American. I don't think that makes it a "South American" Cup. Of course, South Americans come to Europe but the reverse isn't really true because of money.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I forgot this thing existed. Didn't ever think it ever mattered much. More of an exhibition match really, just to make a bit of money. It's never on TV here, if anyone cared it would be. I mean even the confederations cup and super cup are on TV here. It's not one of the main competition so no-one in Britain or even in Europe will care too much. Like the Community shield Charity... (whatever the heck it's being called these days) in England and the European Super cup. It's nice to win but you won't lose any sleep over it if you don't.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's usually on TV in the country of the CL representative, but you are right - TV exposure has been a bit of a problem in Europe. I think that will change once FIFA takes over the tournament next year. A station like EuroSport might pick it up...

We'll see.

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Even then, if it's not even on mainstream TV (in UK, that would mean Sky, ITV or BBC) that's usually a good indication that nobody gives a ********.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    On the other hand immediately after that period South America won six straight.

But really, I shouldn't be fighting with you. Most of the time Europe and South America have been very even. It was only that period plus the late 90s (when Europe was winning) that one side was superior.

Don't get the idea that this cup is more important than the Libertadores either. It's sort of like a nice one time match.

What was nice about that tournament is that the games were usually quite competitive and there have been very few blowouts.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Look, I already said it hasn't reached CL or Uefa Cup status. The ones that care about it the most are the fans of the teams involved and those of us that enjoy good football and a comparison between the two continents.

No, it's not a Champions League replacement, but IT IS a nice additional reward for winning it...

10. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As a Porto fan i would like to see them win it but i won't loose any sleep if they don't. BTW Porto also won it in 87! :cool:

11. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    This Championship is important and only UEFA Teams claim its not when they lose.....But when they win its very important.... I love the intercontinental cup... as far as FIFA taking over and letting every one else in It was only a matter of time and that time has arrived.. I only hope that fifa was or is smat enough to buy the rights of the actual tropy awarded.. The tropy is hands down recognized world wide as the world championship of clubs...

As far as UEFA saying what they say about it I wont blame UEFA I blame the G14 who are motivated by greed not so long ago they said the champions league format was stupid now they say they love it.... as far as the top clubs say they wont go it just proves again WHAT COWARDS THESE SO CALLED BIG CLUBS ARE... They use to be cowards traveling to south america and to japan they did not want to lose to a south american team.. but now that they have lost time and time again its okay but to think that their millions cant beat say AC Africa or dear god DC UNITED or the wizards they look for a way to down play it... The fact is that a Team like real madrid with all their millions might lose to a DC UNITED with no millions is an a knock on their egos... just because they have millions dont mean they are the best in the world they claim to be the best but Boca won 2-1 and were crowned the best. If you want to be #1 go out and prove that you are..

I love the intercontinental cup..

12. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's one of the best parts of the game. You get to see better play than some other competitions because the teams are in mid-season form.

Of course the entgertainment quality suffers when they go to penalties, but that's sometimes a product of a hotly contested game between well-matched teams.

13. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    well while the toyota cup is a decent little sportscar, ive always preferred a 4 door sedan like the toyata avalon.

14. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Last edition of the Intercontinental Cup saw Porto FC of Portugal take it in dramatic penalties 8-7 against Once Caldas of Colombia. Porto won its second Intercontinental Cup and the 21st for Europe. The tally ended with South America 22 vs. Europe 21.