Doctor's Beliefs & End of Life Care

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Sakatei, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100826/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_britain_doctors_and_death

Two things.

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Empirical evidence that atheists are better docs. Nice.

3. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er, what? Seems intrusive to me, I don't care about the religious beliefs of my provider unless she/he starts to defer to them before my own wishes for care.

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    What I would take from this is that many religious doctors are letting their religious beliefs getting in the way of what's best for the patient's. This should be looked into.

5. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my question:

Of the 3000 doctors who responded, how many of them were self-described as "religious"? was it 8% or 50%?

And what does "religious" mean within the context? Does that mean Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan?

If you follow the other link in the news article, this emerges:

i think "somewhat more likely" suggests statistical insignificance...

7. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    firing squads?

8. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we all agree that end of life decisions are very complex and tricky?

There are more than a few ideas out there on how these things should go, and as of yet, I don't think (thank god) that there is a decided upon metric for deciding how these decisions get made (save for maybe in Holland), although I don't know the laws in the UK.

Interestingly, I know many believers who would be horrified if they were in the same situation and an atheist doctor was counseling to pull the plug so to speak. It cuts both ways.

With that said, I do believe that all doctors should be sensitive to their patients wishes and beliefs, as long as that doesn't infringe drastically on their own freedom of thought and belief.

Frankly, I am not sure how you can eliminate any bias or leaning in this case, unless we stop allowing humans to be doctors and just have robot doctors.

9. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I was being a wee bit facetious.

Of course these are always horrible and difficult decisions. And doctors will be subject to the same thoughts on this subject as the rest of us and some will undoubtedly have personal biases one way or the other. As long as families and patients are given the full range of options and help I doubt many sane people will mind if individual doctors err one way or the other slightly when there's tough calls to make.

10. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can live with that.

As always very fair and balanced from you.