Do you record games? Why / why not?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Sep 20, 2021.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Wondering if you as a parent record your kids games.

If you do - why? is it just for memories sake or to share with family/friends? Or do you review the footage and give your kid pointers? Do you review it with him, let him do "film study"?

If you don't - why not? just not worth the cost / the hassle? Maybe you do it partially - use your smart phone to record short clips here and there?
    Maybe you don't want to be distracted during the game (ie to record), you want to watch the game fully engaged?

2. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I don't, but in various forms starting in the 8th and 9th grades my son's club and school teams do. We've used the past year (from his club team) to cobble together a highlight reel, and he watches both club and HS teams on his own to some degree (I think both coaches do a little film work with their teams, too, but not a ton).

The club pays (well, parents pay) for an automated service while the school team is recorded by a dad.

Both also stream at least some games (also done in both cases by dads), which is great when only one parent can get to the game and for out-of-state grandparents.

Recording before those ages didn't make a ton of sense to me -- in almost all cases I would have been recording at field level, which to me isn't of much use (the above video is all recorded from either elevated booms or on top of bleachers or a press box to provide at least some elevation).

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    I don't - mostly because I'm just too busy watching the game. I'll pull out my phone from time to time to record a free kick or corner in the hopes of catching something good, but it never works out that way.

Our HS team streams all the home games and they use Hudl as well, so there's usually a video of most games we can go back to and watch if we'd like. The team usually does a brief video session once a week to review games (usually the day after a game).

NewDadaCoach and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    I've never once gotten my son doing anything when I try to grab a clip here and there (so I've essentially stopped trying). There's a dad whose son has played with my son across a couple of different clubs over the years who has his phone out constantly and manages to grab a lot. Thanks to him, I have a handful of clips of free kick goals and nice assists from over the years. I think I owe him a beer or two before we're both out of the youth soccer business.

Fuegofan, NewDadaCoach and soccerdad72 repped this.
  5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I started recording club games in 2019 for one reason... to have highlights for recruiting videos. Other parents had been videoing, but they only focused on their child or didn't let other parents have access to the video.

When I started in 2019, I created a YouTube Channel for the team, and let the entire team know it was out there. They could then download the video and create their own highlights.

I started doing HS varsity last year (2020). Because of Covid and limited number of fans allowed, I figured out how to stream the games on YouTube. YT also records the stream, so players can go back and watch. I figured out how to add a scoreboard and a clock on the stream for home viewers to easily keep up with it. I also record in the camera and upload to Hudl after the game. That version is "clean" (no graphics).

My son will go back and watch games on his own. To pick out highlights and critique his performance. I've never gone over a game with him. We might watch a highlight or two.

6. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I have some footage that I would like to share with parents but not sure the best way to give it to them. Did you make the YT channel private (ie they need a link) or public? Was the purpose of the YT channel just to share video or also for other reasons like marketing? Did you need/get permission from the club?

This sounds really cool. Are you comfortable sharing the YT channel here? I would like to see how it looks with the scoreboard.

Good for him!

7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Honestly I just did it. The YT channel itself (both of them) are public. The individual videos can be public or private. The HS coach likes the current year videos to be unlisted so future opponents can't use them to scout. But once the season is over, I go back and make them all public.

HS Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9dLsmJYLAWs7ASpZefHqTQ
    Club Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/LFCBoys2003White

The HS Channel you can see last year's games. I had a scoreboard then, but simplified it some for this year's games. The senior night ceremony stays public. YT records the live stream. If you want to see what this year's graphic looks like, look up mc_boys_soccer on Instagram. The assistant coach does a great job updating live scores and will clip out some highlights to post.

I also found out the bench players/subs have realized they can go back and watch a highlight while the game is still going on.:D

The Club channel was just uploaded games (wasn't done live).

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    The HS soccer quality was better than I expected. HS has really stepped up since I was in HS.

9. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    We have a pretty good team (and gotten better this year). I'm not sure which game you've watched, but there are some teams that are not so good. We've had three "mercy rule" (leading by 10+ after halftime) games this year. One of those was 11-0 after the first 40 minutes.