Do you hear that cracking sound? (NHL)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by RedBulls, Jul 21, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Its the ice of the NHL - as it drops to the 5 spot in national prominence in the US - Becks has put MLS over the top!

Gretzky: "All my kids talk about is wanting to see David Beckham"

2. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Re: Do you hear that cracking sound?

5th!?!?:eek:

You give the NHL too much credit.

3. RoboChrist

RoboChrist New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Up a sheep

And Bettman is too blind to see it. Good. I say leave the NHL to wither in the southern U.S. and make more room for MLS. It'll only make both leagues stronger in the end.

4. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD

Not after this game, boring, I don't know how a team could have so many high paid players and play such boring football, jeez it should've been Barca or a team Arsenal, teams that play sexy football, so the American public can see why we love this game so.

5. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To keep the NHL talk going it was like watching the New Jersey Devils play. Yeah they are good but they are exceedingly boring.

6. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thing is, I don't think one match will ever show to an outsider why people love this game so much. That comes with an entire season following a team and league.

7. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD

Yeah I know but it would've been nice for the American public to see a team that plays more attractive football. I don't care if Arsenal has'nt won anything in 3 season, at least they give the viewing public a good show.

8. marighand

marighand New Member

May 12, 2007
    USA

Ahh life in this country as both a soccer and ice hockey fan. Can't we just eliminate baseball? haha.

9. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD

It'll just be more coverage for Nascar and Golf , also even more NFL coverage.

10. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora

In order for this one game to change people's minds about soccer, then the Galaxy would've had to be the Houston Dynamo and actually had a chance to play something that resembled soccer.

11. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto

Landon Donovan sucks major balls man. How could you miss that header? I'm honestly embarassed to know that he is half Canadian.

P.S. Xavier was good. If the game ended 0-0, he should have been the man of the match.

12. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't realize that anybody would put NHL in the 4 spot? I would assume that NASCAR or PGA would be there. NHL is too regionalized. Hopefully the NW and SE can get a MLS team and we won't be that way too.

13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

for a second I thought you were talking about Beckham's foot after the Sidwell challenge.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. NASCAR and the PGA are similar in that they only come to town once or twice a year. You can't really compare that to a sports league with multiple teams playing many games.
    2. This talk is always about team sports anyway. Tennis and golf and turning the steering wheel aren't even on the map.

15. peregrine1988

peregrine1988 New Member

Sep 27, 2006

And NASCAR and the PGA aren't regionalized? NASCAR's as regionalized as the NHL (and, I should point out, the NBA), geographically speaking. Their region is just bigger. The PGA may not be regionalized, but we all know they get attention because it's a relatively upper-class sport, and so advertisers love it. Unfortunately, Tiger's not dying any time soon, so the one player who keeps casual fans interested is sticking around.

But at least we all know NASCAR will never be truly respected as an actual sport.

16. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo

OK, NHL is no longer on ESPN. That does not mean its gone away. The cap next year in the NHL is 50 mil. minimum 34 mil. Average Gross for the NHL is like 80-90 mil. Think La Liga or Bundesliga in comparison.

Does that mean its in the main stream like it wanted? NO. but they still make serious money. It will be exceptionally hard for the MLS to catch those numbers. But I think they will in 10-15 years. Merchandising and international tv rights maybe. Because I don't see them blowing away anyone with national tv.

17. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

For real. Both get shit on so then they shit on each other. What gives?

18. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY

Sorry to say this ,but NHL gets a lot coverage from our local TV stations here in NY during NHL season. I wish MLS got that kind of coverage. Same goes for the print media around NY.I am sure it takes time for ugly Americans to change the sport land scape and include soccer in their daily life.

19. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA

there is a great chance that Messi would have laid a 4 spot on LA and that would be BAD for MLS as it tries to gather in a larger segment of the non-knowledgeable soccer fan base.

20. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Yes i was referring to team sports leagues in that ranking

21. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Your right - the NHL is still #4 in team avg revenue & payroll, but their rating s are starting to be eclipsed and in due to the financials will as well - I would say 5-10 years instead of 10-15

22. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

what about the pretty ones?

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hear ya, as I'm both a soccer and a hockey fan (as well as football, baseball and basketball, to boot). :cool:

Besides, I would hope that the NHL will be fine as the San Jose Sharks now reportedly (depending on the source) holds a minority ownership stake in the San Jose Earthquakes.

-G

24. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RELAX, Most NHL are playing infront of 18,000 week in and week out. 1 game dosen't change the fact that DC UNITED maybe moved UNLESS a SSS is built for them and that this league is still in the red with this year being the 1st year more than 1 team will turn a profit.... MLS is holding firm but no where near a place where common americans will watch soccer high lights let alone a match.

25. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan

I agree. Someone should make a montage of all of his on goal missed opportunities played to the Benny Hill theme son.