Do you care about your national team?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by RiverGaucho, Apr 10, 2013.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Simple question. I was born in the USA to Argentine parents and grew up for most of my childhood in Argentina. I couldn't care less about either side.

Sure, I will celebrate if Argentina wins the world cup... I hope they do... But it doesn't really matter. It will end in a month and no one will care for another 4 years.

Club football is a week to week thing. If we win the league, we will sing at the other teams and it will be great fun. It means so much more. Ni hablar de una libertadores...

I just think think national team football is useless and national team fans are stupid. Football was founded on clubs, and nationalism has ruinied so many countries especially argentina, the country i am a citizen of.

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    NT above all else

however I do find National Anthems stupid and a waste of time

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gaucho going off again, lol.

You may not care about the selección, but surely all those River players that play for them surely do. Now don't start with "If I was a player I would care as well". If they didn't care like yourself, then they wouldn't even accept the call up. Wonder why they do? Is it because nearly all players will trade in their club trophies for a mundial?

4. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    I would like to see Brasil winning the WC14, of course, but not exactly care about that. If don't win, that's okay. There isn't a feeling like what I feel for my club. But NT are still important and World Cup is a magic tournament, something remarkable in life.

5. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can tell you all I live more than confortably and i don't give a shit about the naitonal team. I only hope RIVER wins the league and bosta goes down. Thats all i care about

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    not quite sure if "nationalism" and being a club fan are all that different

your still hoping your team beats the other one, only main difference is that you want to beat your countrymen...that kinda seems more damaging

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a thin line, but at the end of the day you pick and choose. A club represent a subgroup, a country represents all. There are those that want nothing to do with the team and will sing la selección se va a la puta que la parió, but if somebody is wearing my national team colors I get behind them and support them. It could be once every 4 years for most, but for others it's nearly a daily struggle even though you do not see them once a week. You could pick the club you support(or it could be passed down father-son), but you can not pick where your country is from.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For many countries (not Argentina) qualification is a battle and the national team plays many important games outside the World Cup. I pay attention to World Cup Qualifiers around the world and I count down the days until they happen. I like the USA.

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Finland, no, but I watched first game for a long time against Spain, which raised interest for a short while. But ultimately I've no interest until NT starts to have even a chance to qualify to international tournaments, only masochists want to watch games when you lose to everyone.

So for me it's problem about results, rather than national pride.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Unfortunately for you in recent times it's been the other way around. :D

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry, but in my neighborhood in vicente lopez everyone is a river fan. I'd rather be a River fan than be a boca fan who voted for cristina

Boca fans are the scum of the earth. Sorry. They are not good people, and they are capable of murder

12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Have you seen the league table? I can't wait until we give you a baile in la bostanera. Do you remember the last time Ramon visited your "stadium"?

I hope your stadium can stand up until then

13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am from two countries, and I love them both. i love argentina for the food, my family, futbol, the women, etc I love the USA for the stability, the financial security, the safety, but I am talking about what football you support, not what country you like. I support River. I am a socio and I will be one til i die. Maybe the bosteros have abandoned their club since they have no chance of winning anything, but we will not forget

14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why do you feel that way? Care to explain? We are talking about what football team you support, not what country you support.

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I just don't see the point of them at a football game or anywhere for that matter, and some just drag on and on...(like the South African one for example)

21. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    this is kinda what I mean

how is this a healthy outlook?:confused:

22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Argentina wins the next world cup, i'll celebrate. if they lose, and a boca player ********s up, i will celebrate even more and burn bolivian flags in the streets. You should have seen Bs As when bosta lost to corinthians. It was a party. We HATA boca here

Solo quiero ver a river campeon y quemar la bombonera

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca fans= Cristinistas
    River fans= Sensible people

Just look at a map of the last elections of bs as...

Belgrano, Nuñez, Palermo... 3 areas where River fans are from, voted 83-17 against Cristina.

In Zona Norte, I think it was something 80-20. In Bs As in general it was 66-34.

BOCA=Stupid, uneducated people. Most of them can't read

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I Honestly wish Argentina could be just provincia de buenos aires and then we can give the south back to the chilenos, and the north to the bolivians and paraguayans. We'll keep santa fe, entrée rios, corrientes, and missions....

but the rest is for the bolivians, chileans, etc.

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

ok I just dont follow at all, on one hand you say nationalism has destroyed countries

on the other you want to burn bolivian flags