Do we want Dema?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by carpediem175, Dec 14, 2005.

1. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    It seems DCU is not picking up his option for next season. Would we want him, fairly solid, hard nosed player. But has the rep of being too much of a goon.

2. jpc

jpc New Member

Nov 21, 1998
    i would definitely want him. i always felt he was underappreciated. he is a very good player and would give our midfield a nice hard edge to balance the likes of eddie, amado and all the other finesse midfielders we have

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisi for Dema sounds about right.

4. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    If they're not picking up his option, then I don't think we have to give them anything for him. I personally don't want him. He's got some ability and is effective at what he does, but I just don't like him. Kinda in the same way I didn't like Diallo (though to a much lesser degree).

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well we didn't like it when Diego Serna was acquired and I remember someone at Nathan Hales screaming, "WELL HE'S OUR DIVING ***** NOW!"

So do I want a hard nose player who can intimidate the other side, you better believe it. The players your grew to hate, you would love to have that player on your squad. Bring in Dema. More toughness on the field and a freight train with no conductor ready to take out anyone in his path.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like Mo's type of player...

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been screaming for years we've needed a player with bite like Dema.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The refs allow too much physical stuff in MLS. That being said, I would rather have Dema with us than against us.

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    As I understand it, the team retains his rights for one year. See Dante Washington and Columbus. This is of course unless MLS changed their rules again.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'd take him, but keep him away from the scrimmages against local college & high school kids.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want him. He's too expensive salary wise 165K or more i think. DC is trying to unload him for a reason, lets not repeat our past moves of being DC's player recycle bin.

Now if he wants to come here for 50K a season well, welcome to NJ.

12. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Dema has good skills and he's a local, which is nice... Anyone know how he's recovered from his injury?

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    That was Stoitchkov

14. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same difference.

15. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Well I didn't like having Diego Serna on our team either. I will agree that we need a tough player like Dema, I just don't want Dema to actually be that player for us. But hey, I'm used to having players I've hated on the team so its nothing new for me if we do get him - it's tough to be a Metrofan.

16. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    MLS is so small and the talent level not that deep, that we're bound to pick up players we hate in the general process.

Dema is hard, tough and intimidating. He's played in a number of CONCACAF Champions Cup matches over the years so he has some international experience. He was on loan at Kaiserslauten for a spell too so he has some European savvy. He's Ukranian and a product of Dinamo Kyiv which could help a little in the stands.

Metro sorely lacks players in that 26-30 range and he fits the bill perfectly. If we have to overpay a little, so be it.

The Mets had to overpay to get Wagner, but they filled their need. Maybe we have to overpay a little to get Dema, but what he adds to the team when looked at our strengths and weaknesses would be well worth it.

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, i can't wait to see Dema exploding down the wing and watching him either shank a cross or drive in on goal and mis-hit the ball into the side netting.

I can't wait for Dema to get red carded 4 times a season.

I can't wait to pay him money that we could use on something or someone else.

He can stay in DC as far as I am concerned, there is a reason they have been looking to unload him for a season or so now.

18. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We had an old DCU hack in Agoos. Why repeat that history?

19. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I would take him. I think the most important thing stated here is that he would compliment Guevara, Gaven,etc..We dont have that enforcer or motor and we could use one. His passing is not great but the guy never quits. He might rub off on a few guys like Gaven that could use some spunk in their game. Although 6 figures does seem high for a motor with few skills.

20. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Question:

Who can we get at his age, his salary and having to give up little for him? I think thats the big question....

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a true competetor and aggressive as can be. I would love to see him wipe out "Joey the Hack" when we play New England if he even looks wrong at Gaven, Amado or Youri. We need an enforcer like this somewhere on the field. I say Yeah!

22. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    2 players I never want to see in a Metro's uniform: Dema and Franchino. I like good, tough defenders. I don't like hacks. The idea is to end the offensive play, not the other player's career.

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it weren't for the incompetent refs in MLS, these 2 thugs would not have a job in soccer. But as long we have to put up with these refs, I think it would be best to have some "enforcers" of our own, so that our skill players are afforded some "protection". Bada bing!

24. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped. Since when did this become ice hockey? Why do we need an "enforcer"?

It's stupid to think that having a hack on your team is going to prevent the other team from fouling you. It will actually increase the odds of both teams incuring injuries. Retribution is a cowards game.

25. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Two points:

1.) Refs worldwide are incompotent and their are plenty of very physical leagues around the world...players earn a hardman reputation like Keane and Jeremies and they are not only playing in top flight leagues, but are national team caliber players.....

2.) Dema is a tough player and had a bad foul on O'Brien, but he isn't dirty, he's just a fighter. I want Dema's passion on this team, but beyond that, his positioning is superb and he's a fairly good distributor and also holds the ball well under pressure.