Do we want a sub-forum for the supporters' group?

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by anderson, Jan 28, 2006.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss asked if we'd like to have separate sub-forum set up for the supporters' group.

Some teams have them, some don't. See the forums for DCU, Chivas USA, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Metros, and RSL for examples of sub-forums. See Chicago, KC, and LA Galaxy for examples without sub-forums.

Some of them look pretty busy, while others seem pretty quiet.

There may be something to be said for keeping the supporters group threads in this forum because it may help newbies learn about the group. Some people may not see the sub-forum or know what it's about.

On the other hand, having a sub-forum would allow everything relating to the group to be found more easily. Most of the sub-forums are also moderated much more strictly (same mods as the main team forum) regarding posts from fans of other teams - the idea being that it's explicitly a space for fans of the team.

We don't have to make any decision now. It's probably something that we should discuss at the next supporters group meeting. But getting a feel for what people think now may help that process.

This poll is public so we can see how Houston fans vote.

2. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if only to help organize the different conversations going on on the main page. I trust ours would be fairly active.

3. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    I would rather there not be a sub-forum for the supporters' group. Keeping the supporters' groups contributions on the main forum will be a good way to share the energy and enthusiasm of the group with other 1836 fans.

just my $00.02

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I don't think we really need one since we're planning on having our own site for the group.

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care one way or another. I do think that creating a sub-forum would make everything alot neater. And even if we are going to have our website up soon, we'll still have plenty of talk on here, because we'll be able to do polls and hear comments and things.

I say we go for it. I don't think that it'll be all that hard for newbies to find us in a sub-forum.

6. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe after things are more established, but for now I think a lot of general discussion is needed.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, it's just the opposite on the DC United board. The main board is moderated very strictly. It's the place for more or less "neutral" and serious discussion about the team. And anyone (in principle) can participate in those discussions - United supporters, neutrals, guys supporting other teams - provided they have the right attitude. Put differently, the main board is "topical" and it's there for anyone who genuinely wants to discuss the "topic" of DC United (as opposed to people who just want to, say, troll).

The supporter group sub-forums are "fan forums" and they're basically a free-for-all for whatever the fans want to talk about with each other. Most of the time that's something related to a supporters group, but anything could really go there. The Barra Brava board has even had its own mod - though that position is vacant at the moment. We've also got sub-forums for United almuni and non-local supporters. On that note, the Crew forum's got a NSR sub-forum.

I obviously don't have a horse in this race, but I saw what anderson wrote and thought I should point out that your sub-forum options (and even your main forum options) are even more varied than he makes out.

Oh, and thanks for the "I'm not a Houston fan but I just like to vote" option. That's first class.

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Chicago and Galaxy have active boards off site.

who do I need to kill for that? I don't really care to delete trolls cos they don't bother me but it would be usefull as far as stickies etc.

9. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to only have to discuss things on one site. Sub forums may help clean up the boards a bit - and most of us are used to the navigation, features, etc.

I figure we'll have something on the web site that's secure for members, in case we have any secrets to keep. Guess I should hold off on posting our new supporter's club logo until the press conference.

10. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just don't ftp it up to the site. Don't want anyone to guess at the filename and figure it out. ;)

11. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    I agree that it may be better to wait until we really get the ball roling with the team and supporters group. The numbers in the forum continue to grow weekly if not daily and we want to be as inclusive as possible to all new 1836 supporters. Just my two pesos.