Do we need a Futsal Forum?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Nov 26, 2012.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Futsal started in New Hampshire last year, and has exploded this year (new league, dozens of new teams).

There will be questions.

Question: What is the best method to carve out a place for Futsal Referee discussion/questions? A separate Forum (i.e. On The Pitch / Futsal Referee)?

Mods, please chime in.

I would like something in place before year end if possible, as I'd like to add this to the new referee doc I give newly stamped referees.

2. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Also growing like a weed here west of Detroit.

I don't think we have any futsal referees that are not also USSF. Heck, a wildly disproportionate number of futsal referees here are grade 6+, and the majority are grade 7+. Point of which is that if they are on BigSoccer, they are probably on the referee forum already.

One solution is to just tag threads with "Futsal:" or some such.

techguy9707 repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably the best course of action.

To my knowledge, there's not even a main futsal forum on the site, so I don't think you'll see a "futsal refereeing" subforum first. That said, to get a new subforum, there has to be a petition in the suggestions area of the site, with a set number (10, I think) co-signers before the idea is taken up by the admins. I forget all the rules, but there is a bit of a process.

Suffice it to say, I think Gil's proposed course of action above is the most sensible. Given the amount of traffic we've seen on futsal, I'd actually support a dedicated "NFHS" subforum before a futsal one. But I really don't think we need either.

4. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all points. Our SRC mentioned he was talking to a futsal league here that wanted to become sanctioned. Planning to take the indoor course in January and I think they cover futsal as well.

5. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm currently working two futsal leagues. It has exploded here in Chi Town!

6. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can you tell me where I can find more info on them? I'd be interested playing and reffing futsal as I grew up with the sport.

7. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Chicago Soccer runs a league out of their new facility in Melrose Park. There's also another league out of Joliet

8. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    The difference when compared to NFHS is that NFHS is close to "soccer", a few weird things, but unless you are a ref, you don't really recognize a difference.

Futsal has some pretty strange things in it (foul accumlation , 4 second, second PK spot). It is VERY different from "soccer"

I'd support a sub-forum.

9. Nashvillian

Nashvillian Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Isn't it obvious?
    I couldn't find the suggestions area. Where is it?

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    I think just a tagging of futsal would suffice for now. I haven't seen any futsal questions so far in the few months I've been here, so I think a sub-forum right now seems unnecessary.

SA14mars repped this.
  12. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I've followed the BigSoccer process to request a new forum.

Once it the request receives 10 votes in favor, the moderators will discuss it, and possibly approve and implement.

The thread and poll is located here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/futsal-referee-forum.1979014/

If you support a Futsal focused forum, please go and add a comment and/or poll vote by Dec.8.

Thanks.