Do we change the players or the system?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by futbol2ot, Mar 16, 2014.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh. Queuing JDEsq rant in 3...2...1...

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You weren't the only one that noticed that. The comment was made by quite a few people as I was walking out.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contrast that with Vancouver who applauded the handful of supporters in the far end for supporting their club. At this point, sadly its expected Heaps will ignore the Fort (home or away).

4. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What should I be ranting about?

5. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Which is really odd because as a player he would literally jog around the entire stadium and thank everyone for coming. He came to The Fort after every game.

6. fundip

fundip Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Really!? Are you really that upset about grown men not waving to other grown men?

Also, I felt like last night they were a little too eager to shoot, especially fagundez. If they picked up the ball anywhere near the 18, they shot the ball instead of maybe looking for that one final pass they often did last year.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be new to soccer, welcome. Acknowledging the support by a simple applause or thumbs up from a manager and players is commonly done by virtually every pro club in every league, worldwide. When you're used to something and it's not done, it's noticeable.

8. fundip

fundip Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not really, been around it my whole life. Love the game but really couldn't care less if they acknowledge me. If they win and entertain me, I'm happy. I just find it funny that the previous poster was defining the class of a man by whether he was acknowledged or not.

rkupp and Soccer Doc repped this.
  9. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    the 4-5-1 has had success with what team?
    the revs need to switch to a 4-4-2 with caldwell, rowe nuygen, faguendez, in mid with Sene and Imbongo up top.
    when you actually look at the talent the revs having a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 would make more sense, putting faguendez teal on the wings with Sene or Imbongo up top but heaps wont do that.

most sense would be a 3-5-2 but again, never happening.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was expecting something along the lines of this:

like you have posted so many times before...

11. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, I won't make it into a rant but I've watched plenty of sports and players and coaches play the game then they leave the field of play. For instance, in the March Madness tournament, fans travel great distances to support their teams. From what I have seen, when the game is over, the players shake hands and then leave. That seems to be the norm when I watch NBA and NFL games too.

I just don't understand why people 1) bother to notice the lack of acknowledgement, and 2) are offended by it. You paid to watch a soccer game, you watched a soccer game. Go home.

Soccer Doc and fundip repped this.
  12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Do you watch soccer games from around the world? Did you watch today's El Classico? Both teams applauded their fans.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that you're talking about other sports right? What we're talking about isn't tradition in other sports (even though you do see it in hockey, college specifically where the home team does a stick salute to the fans).

RevsLiverpool, Crooked and BrianLBI repped this.
  14. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nope, didn't watch the El Classico. If the teams applauded their fans then good for them.

Did I really write about other sports? Wowsers! You guys want the team to acknowledge supporters at away games. You guys want the team to acknowledge supporters at home games. You want Jay Heaps to send you chocolates and roses on Valentine's Day too?

rkupp repped this.
  15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's tradition in soccer to thank the fans for their support, both home and away. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, why are you comparing a tradition in soccer to how NFL players treat their fans?

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mocking recognition is awfully ironic for a guy with "JD Esq" in his big soccer screen name.

18. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think it's also true that this board has, as a community, aspired on behalf of the Revolution to aspire to some of the qualities that make some European clubs transcend profit-oriented entertainment, and become part of the community - "Mes que un club", as they say in Barcelona. It start with small gestures that cost little or nothing, like acknowledging the fans, which says "We're in this together". So it's less about hurt feelings, and more about a 17+ year pattern of missed opportunities.

[​IMG]

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monty, Don't take the JDEsq09 bait. There are never any ends to his arguments as he never acknowledges fair points.... even when they are right in front him. In maddening fashion he will always kick the can down the road in any discussion.

revolution1776, Crooked and huskydeac repped this.
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! You never fail to deliver!

I guess they should just stop playing the National Anthem before the game as well, right? After all, it has nothing to do with watching a soccer game. I'm sure no one would notice.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually don't. I just didn't get the response.

I also find it amusing that people are upset that others are upset about something else.

Minutemanii repped this.
  22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? After all these years I know you understand that the majority of those who post here just LOVE to bitch, moan, pick a fight and find fault with anything posted by others that isn't exactly what they believe to be the facts. There is a reason this Board is aptly named --"BS"--because we know that doesn't really stand for Big Soccer. ;)

patfan1 repped this.
  23. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Broad brushes are awesome for dismissing issues.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife. One of the first times this happened was on a rainy Sunday night in New Jersey, where Heaps was the only player to come over, when all the others ran to the tunnel at the other end as soon as the whistle blew. I mentioned this at the end of an article, and I got a call the next day from 2 front office people asking me to 'splain. I put forth the usual argument that fans didn't get home until 2 am on a a work/school night and the least the players could do was acknowledge the traveling support, like they do everywhere else on the planet.

"But.. but but the Metro fans are really mean-spirited (you know how those New Yorkers are) and they say mean things to opposing players, so our guys wanted to walk off with them, because the locker rooms are in the same area, so this way they wouldn't get verbally abused" was the excuse.

Seriously, I just don't expect a whole lot from the Revs these days, so at least I won't get too disappointed. But what's the matter with Heaps? Did he let Stevie Wonder pick out his clothes or what!!??"

25. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is God save the queen sung before every premier league match?