do lot of people play soccer in aussie?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by athena20, Jun 24, 2006.

1. stralian

stralian New Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Indiana, USA
    I like how this has become an AFL vs. NRL thread. Personally, I would take Rugby Union any day of the week... and im from Nth Queensland.

2. Ragnarok14

Ragnarok14 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Queensland
    Oh no you didn't! You didn't just bring Union into a AFL v NRL thread? :p

Personally I like em all in one way or another.

3. Steven_W

Steven_W New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Haha you know I personally don't disagree with you that much. It's just I think it's a tad better than AFL.

4. Yaxley

Yaxley New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Funny thing about this thread is the fact that the nations participation numbers for the 4 sports (soccer league union and aussie rules) was re-leased yesterday in Tasmanian media, not sure about the rest of Australia. It was in the Sunday Advocate. It looked like this, (Could be a few thousand off in each as I havent gone for an exact number)

Aussie Rules- 550,000
    League - 150,000
    Union - 140,000
    Soccer - 350,000

Soccer dominates at the younger level, then completely falls off the map in the older generations. Where I'm from all boys play soccer at primary school at some stage because there's no organised Aussie Rules leagues for juniors, you have to go through Auskick and that's not very popular. When you hit grade 7 (highschool) you're allowed to play footy and that's when most kids give up soccer. I remember going to a highschool of nearlly 900 people and we only had 3 soccer teams. 7/8 boys 9/10 boys 9/10 girls compared to 10 cricket teams and 5 footy teams + a girls footy team. Even field hockey was more popular. Every 4 years though, during the world cup people start playing soccer for about 2 weeks, as soon as it's over it all stops and you don't play soccer until the next world cup.

Anyway, I'm in no way knocking any of the sports as I enjoy them all. Just hope this doesn't start more pointless bickering.

Cheers. :D

5. stirrer

stirrer New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    I'd like to know where those stats came from.

The official statistics
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/scorsresearch/erass2004.asp
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/scorsresearch/ERASS2004/ERASS2004_table10.pdf
    Aussie Rules- 450,800
    League - 172,200
    Union - 144,700
    Soccer (Outdoor)- 659,400

I know there was one survey where soccer only included registered players in weekend competitions and Aussie Rules included players that participated in the schools program, as well as registered weekend players.

Swimming, tennis, cycling, running and golf all are much larger

As for leaving at high school
    http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/ass...or Rugby League@1127@@@@@@11@@7@&action=COMPS
    http://www.shirefootball.com/ssfixtures.asp?Round=1&Age=15&Grade=&Club=

The above are the fixtures that are played by Soccer and RL on any weekend. There is less than half as many League matches as Soccer in any age group and when it reaches all age, there is no comparison and that leaves out senoirs. The number of teams is very area dependent.

The Bill Turner Cup, under 15 competition is the largest school sporting event.

6. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Utter crap.

The Brisbane Lions & Sydney Swans are very well supported in both your wanker states.

Gold Coast and a 2nd Sydney side over the next decade will only further grow the game.

7. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    No :mad: :mad:

Nothing like that moron sport.

8. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Depnds what 'rough' means. As far as injuries go: more so knees/ankles and above all else ACL's then AFL is pretty bloody 'rough'.

It its 300 pounds morons running into each other then rugby is a tougher sport.

If you want to be 6 foot 2, 90kg, run 100m in 10.5sec, get smashed for 2 hours - running 20kilometers.. and still have the balls to run backwarks into a pack where a Jono Brown or Richardson is going to clean you up with your eyes never off the ball, after you hit someone on the chest 65 meters away from you with a odd shaped ball.. then AFL is the sport with courage.

Rugby is good if you enjoy big blokes sticking fingers in each others asses.

AFL is just brillant.

9. sherrinator

sherrinator New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Australian football is a trully wunderbar sport. i find that people who are fans of the AFL give other sports a chance whereas NRL folk just disrespect and treat every other sport like its junk. i believe if a rugby person went to an AFL game at a PACKED stadium (something they will never understand) and see all the individual tussels, they would actually appreciate it for the skillfull, awesome spectacle it is.

i went to a dragons v broncos 'blockbuster' at suncorp last year (full capacity too! first for everything) and i found it lacklustre, and any action is sooo far away, and i found it a very, very 1 dimensional sport live. it looks better on tv. 52,000 people in which 70% were dragons supporters (noone can say broncos are trully well followed) and it was a game of poor skill, immense ammount of handling errors, and so many bogans with missing teeth and feral language, not a family event. its a sport of run forward, fall over, run forward, fall over, kick, and barely any kicks are decent, or pin point.

i feel sorry for league people, in hating the indigenous game, and the world game, you are trully missing out on real spectacles. i hope you come to your senses and give others a go.

10. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I take exception to this. Gridiron may be slow and boring, but it's a much harder game than rugby league. That padding is for a reason, the tackling is very hard, players would probably be killed without it. Hard tackles in rugby league are very rare, and still not as hard as the hardest gridiron tackles. Rugby players are not as big and powerful as gridiron players.

Also tactically rugby league is behind, it's generally just run tackle run tackle run tackle run tackle kick etc. Union is probably even worse, a dull procession of collapsed scrums and penalties for obscure infringements.

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Drop-kicked to the Aussie Rules/Rugby forum.

12. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    :rolleyes:

Good idea seeing as the thread is named ' Re: do lot of people play soccer in aussie?'

13. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    I'd like to see some sort of proof of this..

14. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Yeah, that one. What's a gun player?

15. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Quick, somebody start talking about Gaelic football, then get the American gridiron and the Canadian gridiron fans arguing with each other. We'll have a six-way hand/football flamefest, and the association football fans who actually started this thread can heat up some popcorn and enjoy the show. :p

16. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It won't heat up man because theres no comparison between AFL and rugby.If you want to see a sport played by elite athletes who can run like the wind, jump 20ft in the air and maintain precise hand and foot skills at the same time, AFL is for you.If you want to see a sport derived from animals, for animals with the excitement factor of watching grass grow, and played by illiterate, idiotic fink and fort butt sniffing boxheads, then you're a rugby man.ABSOLUTELY the most terrible sport in this world.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    :rolleyes:

It only took a page and a half for this to turn into a pissing match between Rugby, League, AFL and Gridiron. Partially thanks to you.

Thread stays here.

18. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Wow, and I thought the US sports fans were truly messed up in the head. Thanks for demonstrating that I have things better here in the States than I had thought. Best to count my blessings. :D

19. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    A 'very good' player.

20. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Then you'd be right.

21. 0497

0497 New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I remember in my time at high school; there were more soccer teams than anything else during the winter months however, Rugby and Cricket matches were always considered more important than Soccer.

There would be more celebration when a Rugby or Cricket player was selected for a representative team than for Soccer.

22. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It seems to me that this is the difference between soccer growth in Australia and in the USA. In Australia, the sporting landscape & culture is fragmented roughly across state lines - and soccer, with it's global reach & appeal and a season that doesn't conflict with the others, is in the perfect position to become a code that is relatively popular across the country. It's a game that appears to be little threat to the others but with the ability to unite the country.

But since this is a pissing competition between the major Aussie sports, here is my take on them:
    Union: "kick and clap". Can't argue with its relatively interesting large gloabl presence but as someone said earlier, the flow of the game too often gets broken up by baffling penalty calls and is becoming increasingly dependent on having a good kicker. i.e. if you can't kick your penalties, you won't win.
    League: "run tackle run tackle". Fairly boring at times but high fitness levels are required for sure. But there does appear to be little subtlety and craft involved in playing which puts me off, as does the unfortunate lack of appeal for the game globally. At least in Oz you have the best league in the world by far even if there is more money over here.
    AFL: Never been to a game but looks like it could be fun, and the athleticism is to be admired. Too bad about Fitzroy (who were once my team from afar) merging with Brisbane but you can see why they did it. If I ever emigrated to Melbourne, I know I'd happily get into the AFL scene.

But soccer is king. It's beauty is in its simplicity.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, thanks, mate... more like a torpedo kick to me. ;)

With all the debate since the World Cup started over all the footy codes in this country, and Melbourne being a microcosm of it all, one fundamental truth has come out...

Soccer can co-exist quite nicely, as a niche sport or otherwise, with all the other footy codes, whether it be Aussie Rules, rugby league, or rugby union.

It's a wonder this argument never comes up in the context of cricket or basketball, or whatever other sport -- in terms of the "no way, sport 'x' is going to take athletes away from sport 'y'" blanket statement that always seems to come up in this sort of context.

24. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I thought cricket was overall the most popular sport with all Australians.

25. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sydney have 1 of the biggest fan base in the AFL.