Dmn

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Belo has lost me for good after the paternalistic Saving Private Ryan ****************. Hansen is a dumbass blowhard of the highest order. Their front section news is little more than grabbing stories from NYT, WPost, and AP. And most of their good reporters end up being signed away from somebody else. The Goose being the exception. And their soccer coverage is a joke. I don't know if Davis is just lazy or the Editors don't care, but when was the last time there was something interesting in their FCD coverage?

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bandwidth is certainly an issue, but keep in mind that both he and Tobias can't really write for the people who read these boards... ie the hard core.
    They have to write for a much bigger, and less informed, audience.

4. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I agree Hansen is a blow hard and nothing makes me change the channel (either TV or radio) quicker than the sound of his voice. I dont like tha affiliation that WFAA ch 8 has with the DMN. The two promote each other instead of delivering the story. NBC ch 5 does the same thing with the Ft Worth Star Telegram.

That aside I think the DMN is a good paper. Perfect? No but a very strong paper never the less. Their sports page is consistently voted one of if not the best in the country. Buzz is spot on when he says the soccer coverage is a victim of bandwidth. If it was up to Steve Davis there would be a full page or more everyday. Several of us approached the DMN about doing a Burn (at the time) / MLS back page special once a week. Similiar to the pages done for the Stars, Mavs, RoughRiders, and even Lone Star Park during their respective seasons. The answer was they would be interested if they could find a sponsor.

Before you complain about the DMN I encourage you to pick up a copy of any other paper in the southwest from New Orleans (Times Picayune) to Oklahoma City (Daily Oklahoman) and all points in between, compare it to the DMN. I think you will find the DMN delivers a more comprehensive take on almost all subjects.

5. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That was one hell of an interesting article 3rd. Perhaps we should start directing our rants about soccer coverage to the editors of "Quick." ;)

6. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    What do you mean the CueCat failed? :p

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    While you are right, particularly about SportsDay, this issue has more to do with the 'harder' news elements at DMN. Specifically Metro coverage. There was a time when the DMN was as good as any big city paper when it came to investigative journalism. Those days are gone and to hear it from the folks in charge, there is not emphasis on this for the future. So, enjoy more stories culled from the newswires, more coverage of Frisco city council meetings and more "light and funny" stories about the church picnic.

8. SoccerX

SoccerX Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Republic of Texas
    Softtackle get a grip.

The DMN coverage of soccer is about as good as it gets. Far, far batter than any other daily paper in Texas.

Check out complaints of poor soccer news coverage on other BIGSOCCER boards and you'll discover just how lucky we are to have Steve Davis.

We can count on at least one major article a week on soccer. Anything else is gravy to me. The DMN even publishes the standings for for youth soccer each week! NO other major daily in America does that!

When the ULHOWA opens and starts selling out, the DMN will have a story. I agree with the media on coverage- why write about a team that can't draw more than 6,000 to the Cotton Bowl in the middle of east Dallas. Hell there are that many people at the Galleria every night at 7:30 and that doesn't make the news does it?

The dirty little secret of media coverage is that there is a direct link to paid or bought advertising and "reporting". Several professional soccer teams over the years had to buy space to get coverage in their local paper.

The DMN isn't stupid. They view reader "interest" by comparing attendance. Announced crowds of 8,000 (actual is half that) at the CB when the Rangers/Cowboys/Stars/Frisco RoughRiders/Mavs are double or triple that.

When was the last time anyone was scalping a Burn ticket?

9. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The DMN doesn't even do the best soccer coverage in the Metroplex. That distinction would go to Tobias Lopez and the Startlegram. Whether it is motivated by lowest common denominator or not, the Morning News (Steve Davis) consistently just rehashes what is said elsewhere, whether it be locally or nationally. A unique take or even some "news" would be nice every once in awhile.

And I shouldn't just pick on Davis, because it happens in other sports coverage too. The Startlegram beats DMN in baseball coverage too. Likewise, the Morning News consistently gets their ass kicked in Cowboys scoops by national reporters. Here's an idea, if you hear rumors about a certain Cowboy QB in drug rehab, aggressively investigate it until you can find corroborating evidence.

I suppose after taking down my alma mater's football program, the News, who also took down the competition (Dallas Times Herald for those of you somewhat new to the area), decided they could coast for a decade or two.

I suppose I answered my own question. It's an editor problem.

10. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Of course if you're a regular reader of the Observer, you'll have the distinct impression that Belo's primary agenda is controlling downtown Dallas, if not the whole city. (Although they couldn't do a much worse job than the inept city council and the lying, backstabbing Mayor Miller.) It also seems like they're more interested in establishing a media monopoly, rather than breaking news and delivering a superior news product.

That said, however, I do enjoy Steve Davis' work and I think he's a decent soccer reporter.

I really like T Lo's writing at the Star-Telegram too, and he does seem to get the scoop more often.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget to write to papers and editors.

I know for a fact that reader requests for soccer have specifically led to increased coverage in this market.... in relative terms of course...

but reader feedback is like gold to them
    Write and write often... and not only negative.
    If they do something good tell the editors too.

12. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1. DaMN is rubish. I hate having to find the sports section and the tv guide(on sundays) and then throwing the rest away.

2. DaMN does not have to try and find every single story in the dfw area. Stick with the stories that deal with everyone ie tax cuts, road work, etc...

3. The sports coverage is absolute crap. This is not just for soccer, but most sports in general.

4. Make it one big paper where people can go through everything and find what they want ie The Times, Daily Mirror.

5. Hire 3rd to cover Soccer and pay him 3 times what he is paid currently. :D

13. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Find me a better sports page then we will talk. And I mean sports in general not just soccer coverage but name an overall better sports page.

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap compared to what?

I'm not a big fan of the Dallas Morning News -- it's too reluctant, for one, to break local news stories that don't fit into its conservative political views.

But I think it's sports section is way better than most. In fact, next to the Boston Globe, the Dallas Morning News may have the most respected sports section in the country.

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    VW and TA I direct you to

1. USA Today

2. The Times:Bigger for Sports

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree USA Today has a good sports section, but what is "2. The Times:Bigger for Sports"?

17. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some UK paper. They had soem brillent ads on the telly.

18. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earth to Arsenal, Earth to Arsenal - please pick up the red,white, and blue courtesy phone....

Dude, I wish I wasn't so lazy - I'd go look up all the national awards the DMN Sports section has won. I am not ecstatic about the DMN as a whole, but I subscribed for several years just for the sports section. :cool:

Also, I'm fairly sure that the request that you name 'better sports section' came with an implied claus :rolleyes: that it be a paper anyone could have fairly easy access to purchase/read.

Wile I'm at it - I have a great deal of respect for Steve Davis' writing - been reading his stuff for years and years - I promise you that he is among the cream of the crop nationally for soccer coverage. I've read a lot of other writers for other papers and few are even near his level of insight (Boston Globe is up there too) ask any LA fan or San Jose fan what their coverage is like.

19. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a couple of phrases in the article that came to mind. One "Market Share" - brought on by the consultants, the other more wire services coverage. Newspaper biz is not about content, awards, or the revenue the $0.50 daily tag brings. Newspapers are about circulation or the number of subscriptions sold. Circulation is what brings the advertising US Dollars which is the true revenue source. DMN is the only paper in town; thus they already have the market share and for the content the most cost effecective sources are the wire services. Wire services do not go on vacation, do not get sick and do not need retirement packages. Thus if you are able to garner market share and reduce your operational expenses = Proffit. Has anyone noticed that our local newspaper is begining to look more and more like the USA Today? The color schemes, the short abridged stories on the front page above the fold? We see more top ten lists and pie charts than ever before. DaMN recognizes that the majority of "readers" (using the term lightly) need their information quick and short. When was the last time you saw "...see Gol on Page 6C" or "...more page 3E". You still see these stories but they are becoming a thing of the past More space is being devoted to adverstising. Newspapers are in the business of making money while informing the public... in that order.

20. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yes...and while the consultants continue to push these changes that supposedly appeal to the light reader, readership is down across the board. At USA Today, at big city locals, at small town dailies.....across the board. Circ is down. Internet usage is up. The problem with the wire services is that I can get the same story a good 12 hours before its one the page either on the internet or on CNN. What they fail to realize, and what the DMN staffers are trying to say, is you have to give people original content....meaningful original content. One way to do that is to provide strong local coverage. And the most interesting local coverage is investigative journalism and sports. Well, despite ArsenalTexan's opinions, they've got sports covered. But they are trying to sideline the journalistic elements at the DMN and that's a huge mistake.

21. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree w/ you from the reader's perspective, but from the business end they are doing the right thing. Belo is no different than what broadcast TV is currently doing. Meaningless, unimaginative, inexpensive tripe that is currently consumed by the masses in gargantuan proportions. "Reality" TV and your two line punch run of the mill bad sit com. The average TV viewer attention span mirrors that of a Newspaper reader. 15-20 minutes is all you are going to get. If you cannot get their attention fixed for the next 15-20 minutes the audience will tune out. You can forget about plot & character developement and matters of substance vis a vis a detailed newspaper story. Those who want content in the news go on line those who want qlty. programming go to cable or PBS. Sad but true. Belo is doing what their viewers & readers want.

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been 17 years since I lived in Dallas - but when I come up for Burn games and see a paper - their coverage of the Burn is pretty darn good, especially when contrasted with the teams lousy performance and attendance the last 2 years.

23. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    And in a world that is ever moving toward the 'executive value' mindset - that "the simple facts" are "what I want, so I can make the most informed decision possible, within a given timeframe"...

Look at the examples that are relevant.. Internet, mobile devices, CNN-type broadcasts that cover a plethora of data, delivered to you in that limited timeframe where you are 'on-the-go' and don't have the time for 'in-depth' analysis - where, if any specific interest may be covered in more depth on the information super-highway...

Is this the direction that we're going toward, and papers like DMN (consider the forsight USA Today had when instituted; short, concise, hard-hitting data in a far-less-clumsy format.. bold, colorful back page for sports depicting eye-catching motion..) are well-aware of this? Is this also a tribute to Diversity - where they're not solely dependent on one source of revenue?.. where, poignantly, have you witnessed similar diversification and investment, in general - AND specifically (fashioned for your personal experience); toward wider-and-unique inclusion?

In a world-on-the-go, be a diversified flow.. and stay flexible in this exponentially progressive world.

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Great....but readership is still on the decline. They are loosing readers, not gaining them. And every major newspaper in the country (save the Washington Post and NY Times) has gone this route and continued to lose readers.....which turns into lost subscriptions....which turns into less revenue.

25. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. Do you remember a mo. or two ago? DMN was writing checks to advertisers because they falsified circulation numbers. I still read the newspaper for its sports content, some of the biz, and tv guide not much else. The electronic medium as news source has far surpassed the newspaper for quite a number of years for me now; however, it will be a long time before I give up my SprtsDay over breaksfast.