Diving (R)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Ted Cikowski, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    anyone else sick of San Jose's diving? Donovan, Graziani and Derosario fall down anytime someone breathes on them.

2. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Graziani is the absolute worst! He falls down faster than most leaves do, and then he'll get up and walk away swinging his hair. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

3. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Anyone remember one of the Burn's games last year, when Graziani faked an injury and went off to the side, then came right back on and scored a goal?

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graziani dove in the penalty area against the Sounders in the US Open Cup this year and got a penalty called against us. We were up 3-2 at the time with less than 15 minutes to go.

I like Graziani. But I think he deserves some stick for his diving.

What are some chants that opposing supporters have for him?

- Paul

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I do--although, to give him credit--it was a pretty finish. One touch, off the outside of his left foot. It was so good I forgave him.

6. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Now there's a real fan of the game. Not enough of those around here.

7. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Flame bait.

Prideaux should have had a second caution ...

8. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Re: Re: Diving (R)

Agree.

9. Dennishz

Dennishz Member

Aug 8, 2002
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the diving done by many players throughout the league, even though most of the time there doing just to get a call. BUt what I do mind and can't stand is when many players fall and roll around like they've been shot or something. Case in point, Faria last night against Dallas, was fouled right outside the box and started rolling around like four times. My girlfriend who was watching the game with me and knows sh$$ about soccer said it seemed so fake. Not only does it seem so fake it makes them look like wusses. Thats what I can't stand.

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Donovan falls, he reminds me of a rag doll. I think two players that should leave this league (for the better) is Graziani and Diallo. Both play the game always looking for the easy way. I get sick to my stomach when I watch them. It degrades the game.

11. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    The diving doesn't bother me that much. If the refs are stupid enough to call it, so be it. It's the rolling around looking like wusses what bothers me the most. Get up and play. I played on plenty of injuries, and never once did I roll around no matter how much pain I was in.

12. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    I once broke my ankle while playing in the first half of a game. Yup, broke in half. It hurt, but I finished the game playing (which was about another 50 minutes). It totally screwed up my ankle and my ankle will never completely heal, but I didn't roll around in pain.

The people who dive and cry, and then the refs that call the dives, make the game harder to watch. That's why a lot of people haven't jumped on the soccer bandwagon is the US, because they think the fake "Oh my God, I'm in so much pain and now I've ruined my career which has ruined my life!" dive, roll, and wince is pathetic. I agree. Refs need to be on top of that more, especially if players with a reputation (a la: Graziani) are playing.

13. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    I played on a pulled and sore hamstrings many times. I'm paying for it now because they are very tight and hurt alot. They are even sore after I ref a game. I also played on a broken finger, but that doesn't really matter in soccer. Not once did I ever roll over and cry. I got up, limped, and kept playing. Soccer bashers love that aspect of the game because it makes the game look bad. I also can't stand players turning to the ref and waiting for the call. You can't stop playing if the whistle is not blown. I see it more in the international game then in the MLS. They are not going to change the style of play for the USA's benefit.

14. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    you pansies make me sick. I once got shot in the first half of a match and then had my head severed at halftime while protecting innocent children from a street gang. I not only finished the match but I also had sex with most of your girlfriends before going to the hospital.

pussies.

15. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I once had a triple bipass at halftime and went on to score a natural hat trick in the second half.

16. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Oh yeah, and I think the play-acting stuff is what seperates somebody like Graziani from somebody like Twellman. Twellman actually goes down quite a bit, but he doesn't fake the injury, he just gets right back up if nobody calls it.

17. eagleterp

eagleterp New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    washington, dc
    dude, you're pretty tough.