dissapeared 20'x30' US Flag

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Brushes Sand, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was , in fact, tongue in cheek. I certainly would have mentioned something earlier had I had any contact with the flag. All this "plan B" and serving of summons' to the Storm office seems a little... I don't know... drastic. This just seems to me to be something that can be worked out with a few phone calls, emails, and possibly a quick search of Soccer House.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Oh, say does that....."

3. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
  4. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    I'm sorry to be so out of the loop, but who the hell is Fonsos? Is that his real name and is it a 1st or last name or is it a stand alone like Pele or Madonna. It sounds like something from a Greek Happy Days. And why is he commissioning reports on fan support? In any case, he seems to be a man of mystery.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He's a jerk if it's true that he demanded this responsibility and then has abdicated his duty to pass on the flag to the next USMNT location. It's really frustrating to read that he apparently promised to send the flag to New England, but it's still mysteriously missing.
    No mea culpa, no "I'm working on it", no nada from this guy.
    What I'm also curious about is the lack of venom from the other Chi Town fans towards this guy that is, by association, making all Chicago fans look bad. Right now, it's the city that lost the Baby Big-ass flag, and I don't understand why, even if they're not directly responsible for that, more Chicago folk aren't upset about that. Especially the posts about, "I know Fonsos and I'll ask him when I see him, but I'm kinda busy with other stuff." The Poland game was months ago - the flag loss is a big deal and a complete break with U.S. soccer tradition.
    I'm not going to go overboard and blame Section 8, but I'm frankly disappointed in them anyway. Not because I think they lost it, but because I'm puzzled that they haven't done more to find it. You're the ones in the city. You could, presumably, pay FOnsos a visit, pay U.S. Soccer a visit, pick up the flag if it's at either location, and mail it to Ed, the rightful owner if there is any.
    Smacking Fonsos upside the head at some point is completely optional, though it would make me happy.

6. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I think it's hilarious Fonsos is considered mysterious by some here. Anyone who doesn't know who Fonsos is wasn't around Section 8 much from about 1997 to 2000 or so.

7. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Actually, he is related(somehow) to the Marlboro Man... which is why earlier I suggested that we bring Mulder & Sculley into this.

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Rattler was at the game, it stays at Barra Brava member's house in VA as far as I know. That big flag was lifted after each goal and after the game by Eagles/Barra, Rattler was on Sam's Army side. I think it might have gone up once before game ;)

9. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, its all because of me...

:cool:

go easy on the guy people. you're all starting to sound like elitists (we're so smart and everyone else cannot grasp our smartness).

;)

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, quit beating around the damn bush. It's Frank Klopas.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This thread just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

I would like to thank everybody for contributing.

Thanks!

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Was this another attempt at internet humor? Anyone who doesn't know Fonsos sure as hell shouldn't be posting about him in a thread like this, in the way that you're posting.

I currently stand by my original post in this thread until I see some civility.

13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140192

Does that thread have anything to do with this thread? If so, Wacko4Burn, "FU" 2. Or "too", if you speak english.

If that other thread has anything to do with this thread then I've contacted Fonsos about this before. I also spoke to him about it after a game a while ago. At the time I had no idea it was a controversy, it was just idle conversation.

From what I can remember, because the flag was shipped to him in such terrible condition, he wanted to get a proper container for it, something like a giant tupperware container you can get at a Target, WalMart or whatever. It seemed like a noble goal. But somewhere in the pre-game/post-game process he was forced out of the loop by others (details elude me because it wasn't the focus of the conversation and he was talking about people I didn't know) and I think has basically washed his hands of the issue.

Again, we talked about a lot of things and this was just one minor reference in an entire conversation. It could be that US Soccer muscled him out of the process prior to the game, and that would explain the flag being picked up by someone in US Soccer, but I don't know.

I can again get in touch with Fonsos and ask him to either contact someone or get me a story. But that wouldn't detract from how a few of you here are acting like big dick heads. And if you want to give me bad rep (whatever that means) like Wacko4Burn, I'll STILL try and get in touch with Fonsos or have him get in touch with someone else. Why? Because I'm not a dickhead.

I still stand by my original post in the thread, and that essentially says if you're going to be a big dick to people who weren't involved then blow it out yer pie hole.

14. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    We need to find the headpiece to the Staff of Ra.

15. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom

What's a headpiece?

16. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    [​IMG]

17. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Even in US matters, it never fails. HOLY ********, DALLAS SUCKS

18. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Whereas, coming onto the Fire boards, making wild accusations, and not know what the ******** you are talking about makes outsiders look good on the Fire boards?

I see a fire in your futures, and I reccomend you try dieing in it.

19. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Meet me in the map room at Tannis.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    you stole my post!

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Sam's Army does not exist. Or was that Project Mayhem?

22. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ladies and Gentlemen, here's Comic Book Guy.

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Fonsos posted on Big Soccer about the need for a tupperware container. How about the need to take care of the flag? The flag was in excellent condition the last time I saw it so I think this is a cover story. You could have thrown that flag out of the Sears Tower and it would still be intact. Didn't it survive a number of Minnesota winters on top of a Perkins Restaurant? It smelled a little bit from motor oil but I did not think it needed washing or repair.
    To be fair, Fonsos did tell me in the parking lot, in the presence of Reed Swanson, that the Sam's Army banner was in terrible shape and he sure didn't have anything good to say about Sam's Army either. He started talking about tupperware, or a plastic bucket of some kind, to Reed Swanson. At this point, I was not surprised by anything, but where was Reed supposed to get a plastic bucket in Soldier Field? You are lucky if they let you in with a toothpick.

It does not surprise me that he has washed his hands of this. I think he checked out 30 days BEFORE the game when he was having "computer problems" and planning for out of town visitors was in chaos. Finally, Kerstin jumped in and organized it, like she always does. Had she been "lead coordinator" things would have gone much better, in my opinion.
    I will ask this question again. Who appointed Fonsos "lead coordinator" and what are they doing to clean up this mess?

I don't know if someone from the USSF overruled Fonsos but if they did, it would be the first time in the history of the republic that the USSF showed any interest in fan issues. Remember, if fidlerre and jjayd had handled this, like we had arranged, none of this would have happened.

24. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    And if Ante, Justin, Logan, Chris, and Jesse didn't hurt themselves we would be going to MLS Cup 2004.

25. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I think the person that sent him the flag in the first place.