Disgusting

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by appoo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Absolutly Disgusting

Just one more reason why there's nothing better than being a fan of American soccer. Our guys don't do this crap. You never really hear anything bad about our guys actually. you do hear about our own stars taking the time to appreciate their fans constantly.

2. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    ur an american and ur shocked? i agree this is bad but it happens all the time in america. im not saying straghit rape but sports stars in america get ACCUSED all the time.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with halfnelson here, how can you be shocked about this. I mean this is a terrible crime that has been done, but this happens all the time in the US, maybe it's not always done by an athlete, but this stuff happens all the time here. I know it's bad that I'm not shocked about this, but that's the way our society is, we see this happen so much that it does not affect us anymore.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It might not affect you but is sure as hell affects me. I hate violent rapists more than anything else on this planet. And its a point of pride that you don't hear about any American Soccer players involved in these things.

5. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I don't believe I've ever heard of anything resembling this kind of gang rape in american professional sports. Yes, Kobe is on trial for rape, and other athletes have been as well, but this is a truly amazing (and disgusting) charge.

6. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    A few years ago, A woman accused a group of NY Mets players of the same thing. A woman also accused a DC united player of raping her.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The media storm will be something else when the name of the clubs are announced (or leaked).

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never say never, y'know? Sure, it's a point of pride that MLS players haven't been involved in something like this - yet. But do you really think it's because they're all Really Good Guys, and It Could Never Happen Here? I'd bet - and I'm hoping I'm wrong - that you'll be surprised someday.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Rumor has it that the 7 are Newcastle players...not sure of the names.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link or a source or something to show this? I'm just curious.
    I know I may have sounded like a jaska$$ by saying that this doesn't affect people. Trust me it pisses me off that a person or group of people would do anything like this, rape is one of the sickest crimes. I was just saying that these violent crimes happen all the time in our society.

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I was listening to the bigsoccer radio show and they keep referring to it being Newcastle players, as did Tommy Smythe when he was on. I don't have any links, but any links that people do find will be rumors because no newspaper wants to open thmeselves up to the legal problems from publishing the names of those players, only to find these allagations false.

For whatever team those 7 players belong to might as well start planning for First Division Play.

12. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If found guilty by a court of law, the players should suffer any punishment that can be thrown at them (raped goes right after murder in my book of the worst things one human can do to another).

However, we should also remember that this is only an allegation so far, and nothing has been proven yet. Until that time, I hope this thread, and others like it, do not become a place to hang 'em now and ask questions later.

13. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I don't remember the players, but last year sometime some guys filmed themselves raping a chick they had given GHB to. NFL players maybe?

And the some Washington Capitals were in trouble for giving it to some chick in the back of a limo in the mid '80s, though that never went to trial.

Anyway, as soon as our guys start making mad cash and become major celebs, they'll find ways to get themselves in trouble.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I think he's talking about American soccer players, not Americans in general. The only incident like this that I can recall happening with soccer players in the US involved 2 foreign players (I want to say Diaz Arce and Mario Gori?), and the woman ended up admitting she was lying anyway. Aside from Rocket Roy Lassiter, I can't remember any US soccer player ever being charged with a felony.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    this is exactly what I was talking about. While I've heard rumors of drug use for whatever reason, these guys are staying out of major trouble. For now anyway.

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?"

"Convicted........No." - Bill Murray in Stripes

17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, you hear about it. Several Washington Capitals were accused of that a few years back.

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Did you really take time to think about what you were going to write? Are there some long term scientific studies that show American soccer players have some super secret DNA that makes them immune from commiting silly crimes? Seriously, the idea that American soccer players are immune from such actions is a load of crap. It's only a matter of time before someone or some people come along and do something like this.

19. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Hmmm... I wonder why that is?

[​IMG]

Oh.

P.S. It's an accusation that is being investigated. It may not be true, you know.

20. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I completely fail to see how this story reflects on American soccer, their fans, the way the players feel about the fans, or the differences between US players and the rest of the world. Further, I will add this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've seen on these boards in awhile, and that's saying a tremendous amount.

21. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think it's a valid assertion that soccer in America is more family focused than elsewhere - and as such, many soccer players here are aware of and try to model themselves as positive role players, thus avoiding these extremes of sicko behavior. Plus, since soccer here is still growing, many players are aware of the pressure to present a positive image of the game.

But the factor that I think is the most important is that we don't and won't forgive soccer stars the way other countries who are truly mad about soccer will. Meaning, elsewhere stars get completely indulged, and it's easier for them to lose all sense of moral perspective and decency. If an MLS player, say, tries to grope a chick at a bar, she's likely to slap him. If a famous Premiership player does that in England, the girl could very likely be awed and even flattered.

Face it, most Americans don't hold MLS players in that kind of regard. It might actually be what's saving some of them from stuff like this.

Also, if you want names, look on the England premiership board - the thread title is "Alarming Breaking News"

22. dberg077

dberg077 Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My Opinion

First, I truly believe the Kobe accuser is full of doggy excrement. The circumstances are just to indicative of someone who wanted to be with him, late at night, in a hotel, and had clearance past his security guard. That deal was a setup for sex if ever there was one.

Now with this story, I only have one question and feel free to debate it---one no one has brought up so far.

---How did these other players get into the room the 17 yr old girl and her lover were in that night?

The reason I mention the Kobe case is that I think Kobe's accuser was spited by Kobe--like Kobe said "Hey, I made a mistake. This doesn't leave the room ok? My wife, etc"

If this was something the 17 yr old girl decided to do but then felt like crap after, that is wrong to make such accusations.
    However, on the flip side, I was more or less a witness to a girl being gang-raped when I was in the Air Force. At least I was there to do something about it. I heard her through the bathroom door to my suitemate's dorm room. I then locked the bathroom door that lead to my suitemate's room where the rape was going on and called the Air Force security police. Then I got about 8 or 9 guys to stand guard in front of the door until the Police showed up--since the idiots inside wouldn't open it up. Two of the guys went to prison for 5 years and along with the other two who didn't actually have sex with her were given a courts-martial and kicked out dishonorably.
    That being said, she could be telling the truth and then the players deserve all the punishment the courts can dole out.
    I just think that now if girls are unhappy after they participate in some questionable sexual activity, they will call it rape and possibly ruin someone who truly is innocent. More likely when the guy or guys are wealthy for the case to be filed.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Disgusting

merely expressing my pleasure in the fact that my favorite soccer stars have yet to be even accused of doing something like this (as the girl could be completly lying or what ever reason that makes the players innocent).

When did I say any of this? When have I EVER said that American soccer players are immune to these thing? All I did was appreciate what hasn't happened yet.