PBP: DISCUSSION OF WIRELESS VIBRATING ANAL BEADS USED TO CHEAT AT CHESS

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Q*bert Jones III, Sep 15, 2022.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is all on the margin

Is he a 2700 super GM?
    is he a super GM who is cheating?
    is he a 2600 who is cheating a lot?

2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - its at the margin

This is what Hikaru was saying about the game John mentioned. Lev Aronian - one of the very best players in the world - was thrown by a strange move - lev said he played very strangely or something like that

There is a lot of mind games now, because Lev clearly thinks he is cheating, which then changes how you play

3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "doped his ass off"?
    Watch that language in the anal beads thread!
    People might get the wrong idea about Lance. Probably would be noticable in this biking shorts.

superdave and russ repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, that's right. Niemann made two odd moves that put the game into unknown territory. Aronian had his choice of several reasonable responses that would have placed him in a normal position, but he chose an inferior move. Then Niemann responded brilliantly to that one mistake, quickly ending the game.

Although Aronian clearly erred, he was also punished unusually harshly for that mistake. Which brings us back to the central point -- the guy is either a very adept Iand persistent) cheater, or he is currently playing at Magnus Carlsen level. (Or both.)

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    it's possible having played the g4 g5 novelty to get Lev out of book, Lev just blundered into Han's opening prep - it's a rapid game so it is not as if you have a lot of time to figure out the position over the board

its hard to believe Hans cheated in that game given all the scrutiny - which does mean he is performing at Super GM level

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to find this kind of argument pretty convincing. Unrealistic things are unrealistic.

It’s a lot less convincing since January 20, 2017.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He could be doing it, but with all the wanding and stuff, it is hard to believe they wouldn't find a device

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders78, a little help here…what is “wanding?” Sounds magical.

:ROFLMAO:;)

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

rslfanboy repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    An update, sorely lacking in WIRELESS VIBRATING ANAL BEADS

11. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Um, have you seen Dumbledore's Elder Wand? The connection to vibrating anal beads should be obvious, even to a muggle! The wand chooses the wizard you know.

(And if that ruins Harry Potter for you, I'll be happy to start in on the X-Men)

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen Harry Potter.

rslfanboy repped this.
  13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, then google Dumbledore's Elder Wand and decide for yourself. (And given you're not a fan, JK Rowling suggested Dumbledore was gay).

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about to tap out, so I'll google that tomorrow morning as soon as I get to work.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lots of people in the South haven't seen Harry Potter. You'd be surprised at the triggering that film did to some members of the Christian community. I dated a woman who was steadfast against anything HP, like she'd been listening to her pastor and church members. If she'd been any stupider, she'd bark at the moon.

roby and russ repped this.
  16. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wouldn't be surprised actually - I've known about the "Satanic" aspects of it since it first came out, which became even stronger when Rowling suggested Dumbledore was gay. What I found more interesting was how some tried to find the Gospel in it. Nothing like co-opting a fantasy book series to spread the faith!

xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, you haven't even be-********ing-GUN to see co-opting...

Backwards, dangerous filth. These men are far too god-damned talented to piss all over a great Ambrosia tune with their praise to the flying spaghetti monster lyrics change. They can write their own propaganda or get someone to do it for them. Leave real music the ******** alone.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The chess fiasco is getting complicated and reminds me a lot of the issues in cycling. Clearly a lot of SuperGMs don't think Han's performances are real and Carlson objected to Hans being a replacement in the cup before he lost that game to him. It was only after that game that security measures were beefed up - it would have been easy to cheat to that point.

Like cycling, the problem with getting hard proof is that other competitors can't get that - only the authorities can, and they have been weak. In reality FIDE are weaker than Carlson & Chessdotcom (which has acquired Carlson's upstart venture). I suspect we may even see an effective break away with Carlson now not defending his FIDE title and playing on the pro-tour - a lot of these tournaments his own company has effectively controlled to this point. Carlson has been huge in building chess as an e-sport since the pandemic. Chessdotcom has already banned Hans from it's events

So like with Froome - Hans will probably be allowed to keep going for a time until he finally gets busted

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One thing that has become clear is that clever cheaters probably can't be caught via data models alone.

Where the smoke/fire is, is where users have zeroed in on certain games, and then analysed engine correlation. But that isn't statistical.

So for instance, according to chessbase, Carlson has only 2 games with 100% engine correlation in his entire career, whereas Hans has many more.

So then you have to look at those games and zero in on certain moves - e.g a move so stunning a human would be unlikely to find it.

And really only other super GMs aided with engines can do that analysis. Because often the best engine continuation would be obvious to a SuperGM

To me the real issue is Hans is playing moves so surprising other SuperGMs can't understand his play.

But in at least one case, this has been because the move Hans played was simply bad but Alireza had to trust hans had calculated it properly - this is where the whole issue of engines can effect gameplay even if no one is using an engine!

superdave repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It seems you've dated some real gems! :whistling:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have an attraction to churchy women, but I don't want them to be THAT damn churchy

roby repped this.
  22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only certain times you want them to say "O God!", right?

xtomx repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Step aside, vibrating chess anal beads. We done got ourselves a fishing scandal of Moby Dickian proportions

(NSFW)

xtomx repped this.
  24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checking that isn't standard operating procedure?

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has gotten lame. Like, why hasn't anyone suggested the Patriots use vibrating anal beads to cheat? They cheat all the time and are looking for an edge -- what if every player had vibrating anal beads and they sent down the plays that way?