Discussion of 97’s-00’s

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Apr 17, 2021.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Timothy Tillman scored today for Greuther Furth and now has 1G, 3A in 433 minutes this season for the club. He’s doing well enough that he should be called into the USMNT. Getting Timothy into the USMNT program could also help get Malik into the program eventually.

SCSAutism and Winoman repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

IRVINE, Calif. – Orange County SC announced on Friday the signing of current Honduran international and defender Danilo Acosta ahead of the 2022 USL Championship season, adding the 24-year-old left back to the squad after he split time between LA Galaxy and the USL Championship’s LA Galaxy II during the 2021 campaign. The signing is pending league and federation approval.​

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1202003

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What happened to Wilson Harris? Big two-season run in the USL, gets an HG deal, does nothing, gets dropped. Presumably there's more to the story.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Trey Muse, among others, recently signed with Loudoun. Apparently he was on loan last season so I guess the Sounders thing is over.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I missed this yesterday. Maybe others did too. Fingers crossed. A really nice opportunity to get back on track under the guidance of Donovan.

Winoman repped this.
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I thought the supporter's group put out a good message around second chances.

I think Carleton's struggles to date have mostly revolved around his own choices, and I certainly don't agree with what I assume are his politics based on his attempt to be at the January 6th rally. But I am a big believer in second chances, and I somewhat suspect Andrew has never really realized he's a grown up now.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pathetic that they are releasing a statement defending that they signed him.

That’s already a bad start. Unlikely he’s ever going to be given a shot to let his play on the field do the talking. As I’ve said many times before, he’s been blackballed, and this was even before the political statements.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If he's been blackballed, they wouldn't have signed him. That's what blackballed means.

The Loyal have already taken a stance as a very progressive club. They walked off the field and forfeited points last season when an opponent hurled a homophobic slur at an openly gay player of theirs. Their fanbase is very supportive.

They -- and the supporters -- needed to put something out because while San Diego isn't super progressive, their fanbase has a lot of people who are not interested in supporting people who wanted to storm the Capitol.

NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you think his level of play is USL? His level of play is much higher than that. Teams at higher levels don't feel able to sign him due to the type of pushback you see from a lower level team signing him. That's being blackballed. Using as proof that a lower level team signs him is completely backwards thinking.

12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I disagree. I think the statement was quite well worded. I think this is much better than saying nothing. The statement is positive and sets the stage for Carleton to start fresh. There will always be those that hold his past against him regardless but this puts him in the position where he can control what is in front of him based upon basic criteria outined in the statement. The first step in redemption is to succeed....the statement gives a basis for judging that success. Once he solidifies that first step, then on to the second step.

13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't think anyone is making the argument that his baggage does not factor into the decisions. It factors into the decisions by MLS teams to avoid signing and it factors in to the decisions by USL teams to avoid signing.....SD signed him and they are putting out a statement saying that they believe in him. If he can show that their trust is not misguided, he will get more chances. If he can show dominance at USL level AND do it with a high level of professionalism, MLS teams will make offers.

By the way, for me, black balled implies collusion on the part of the hiring teams. If I was the gm of a MLS team, I don't think signing Carleton is worth the public relations risk. Players represent the team on and off the field. Having a player that does not represent the team well can be just as damaging as playing a bad player (sometimes worse).

Winoman repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why didn't he sign last season with an MLS (or higher level) team? What is different about this from 2020?

15. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Because each team (SD included) has to balance the risk and reward.

I think the potential reward is far greater at the USL level complared to the MLS level.

The risk is hard to say (for me). not sure if they are equal, or more risky for MLS (due to larger footprint)

For an MLS team, the potential improvement of the team due to any quality that Carleton has would certainly be less than it would be for a USL team. (reward)

The risk would be fallout for signing a player with baggage. There are certainly people that would hold his political beliefs against him but I would guess that would be a smaller risk than anything that he might do to embarrass the team going forward. It isn't like he only made one mistake. He has made a series of mistakes. I think that if he makes any more errors in judgement, he will be judged far more harshly than if it were his first. Likewise, the team would probably be judged more harshly too. I am sure many would say that the team "should have known" because "fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me."

Just a few things off the top of my head.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I saw him at Indy 11 and thought he was good, but wasn't clearly above the level. Could he hang in MLS? Sure. But I don't think not being in MLS is some sign on a blackball, frankly, because he's done nothing to prove his worth the hassle at that level.

He should be up there in goal productivity for the Loyal this year if he's MLS caliber. He had decent rates for Indy, but didn't always play ... and you've commented before that him not playing for Indy was also a blackball. So you can understand my confusion on where the blackball is now.

The Loyal are a team with a very specific culture around them now, and they also are very interested in making a bid for MLS at some point. Carleton has talent; that's why he's getting second and third chances.

But it doesn't take a blackball for an MLS team not sign a dude who clearly has professionalism issue and now has political issues in a league whose fanbase politics are very left.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    His teammate at Indy Eleven in 2020 that he was better than was a starter in MLS last season.

You mention this nonsense that he didn’t always play. I can tell that you don’t actually know what you are talking about because you vaguely throw that in. He didn’t always play because he had a broken arm. Once he broke his arm, he could’ve opted for surgery ending his season. Instead, he tried to rehab it and play through it. It was apparently very difficult though to play with a big club on his arm, which is why he didn’t play much late in the season. He physically couldn’t. The team results collapsed late in the season right around when he didn’t always play, as you suggest.

We all know the reason he’s not able to sign higher than USL is because he’s been blackballed. Claiming he’s not been blackballed because a lower division club signed him is ridiculous.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I also love all these people that insist he’s done something so terrible off the field.

What is it? I’m willing to hear the argument that he’s done something worthy of being blackballed. I always ask this, and there’s never anything beyond some teenage immaturity or merely actions you wouldn’t advise.

There are kids that do much worse and it doesn’t get out, but since it’s okay to publicly hate this guy we have to act like he did something criminal or should be blackballed? Sorry, I’m not going to go along with that. I don’t go along with blackballing any of them.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This guy brought himself back from Costa Rica and the UPSL to get a legitimate pro deal playing for one of the most respected American players of our time and while people should certainly feel empowered to discuss whatever aspects of his career they choose, I'm personally grateful that the season starts soon so we can (hopefully) talk about his performance in actual games.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Tyler Pascher was better than him at Indy Eleven. Pascher was a rotational player before he got hurt for one of the worst teams in MLS, but he wasn't a difference maker.

I think that's about where Carleton would be. But if I'm an MLS team, why should I take all the baggage for someone like Pascher? Yes, Carleton has some upside, but even to realize that, I probably have to commit to a multi-year contract.

I know you both love Carleton's game more than me (though I really do like his game and think he could be very good) and you think that he's largely blameless in his fall from grace.

But the evidence doesn't say that. The evidence said that he didn't want to put the work in, that he comes with significant teammate and public baggage. There's no secret list of blackballed players and Andrew Carleton is hardly important enough to be one.

We're never going to agree on this. But there's absolutely no reason for a GM to take a risk here. If you are right and he's a star in USL (and I agree he has the talent; we'll see if he's grown up), then he can easily be acquired.

21. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think that one thing we can all agree on, most of it is somewhat foggy. We know the results of some of his actions(suspensions from team/dropped from lineup) but most is mostly rumor and stuff from twitter (opioid party concoctions if I remember correctly, partying before a playoff game etc). The Jan 6 tweets.

two things about it:
    1) if it was one transgression, most everyone would probably look back at some of their own youthful (or not youthful) mistakes and forgive, but if it continues, the question "will it ever stop?" comes into play. Professionalism is important.

2) I really have no idea about the extent or actual severity of the errors that he committed (that isn't the type of info that clubs disclose), but at least a few of the clubs do and that type of info can sometimes get around. Hard to evaluate the decision when they don't know all the info but I find it hard to believe that MLS clubs are failing to sign him because it is personal and that they all got together to ban him from the league. (I apologize if that isn't what you meant, but that is pretty much how I interpret the meaning of "blackball")

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't think he's being blackballed. I don't think anyone BUT you think he's being blackballed.

He absolutely comes with very real baggage. It doesn't matter that you don't care about that baggage or you think Atlanta United made him do it or whatever, it matters what the San Diego Loyal (or a potential other team) and their fanbase think.

Support for the January 6th rally and support for the insurrection does not align well at all with a fanbase that is pretty damn left -- especially on some key hot button issues -- and very vocal and active.

There's a reason there were press releases around it. Entirely valid.

And that's without going into the work ethic concerns, the purple drank, the partying before MLS Cup, etc.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #98 Clint Eastwood, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    I don't buy the conspiracy theories. The idea that the whole domestic soccer community could organize themselves enough to "blackball" one player is laughable at best. The off-the-field issues were real. But the kid has talent. If he can rededicate himself to being a mature professional, then there's a place for him.

I actually don't think the Jan. 6 stuff had anything to do with it. After all, he wasn't actually there. And he'd already slid out of the picture before then. Believe it or not, much of the US soccer community shares his political beliefs. Exhibit A: Dan and Clark Hunt. You're telling me Dan Hunt didn't want to sign Andrew Carleton because of his politics? You must be having a laugh.

upload_2022-3-10_14-42-20.png

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #99 ussoccer97531, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    How many Indy Eleven games did you watch? You are making claims about what happened and you are getting basic facts wrong.

Besides, I don’t know how you can possibly use a teammate (that I repeat was worse) as some proof about how another player (who is much younger and possesses much more talent) would fare.

I believe he’s largely blameless for why he’s been blackballed. Do I think he’s largely blameless for everything he’s done? No, I’d say he’s made some decisions that anyone would advise against, at minimum. However, that is so far removed from the blackballing, and I’m not judging him (or anyone) for their life off the field. There are many players who’ve done much worse. That was also years back. As far as I’m concerned, he should be judged for how he plays on the field. Unfortunately I think that’s never going to happen.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I watched four or five.

Pascher was a better player than Carleton for Indy XI. I have my opinion; you have yours.

We're never going to agree on Carleton, or frankly, the role of individual work ethic in development, so we should probably stop.