Discouraged

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by billward, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that Bill. USL 1 should be single table also it would be great if USL 1 and 2 could do relegation/promotion although they never would. I think more west coast teams could only help the league by creating great regional rivalries as well as cutting costs. Then you could always have East v West championship at the end of the season.

2. FC Fred's 1st Fan

FC Fred's 1st Fan New Member

Dec 1, 2006

As far as D1 goes wouldn't that be go back to? Not that I would have a problem with it, but my guess is the league would consider it a step backwards; they seem happy with single entity.

And personally that is my objection to D2 expanding to a western division. I just fear that after a year or two of separate divisions that they would then decided to go single table and teams would find themselves in some financial crisis because of the travel. Also, as has been said elsewhere, you're going to need to find a bunch of teams that are willing/able to join at the same time

3. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    You would definitely need more than one team in the West. Look at the westward expansion of the Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants. They had to move at the same time to lower travel cost and to create a rivarly. The bad part was that it completely killed off the Pacific League in the process (the original SF Seals, Oakland Oaks, Hollywood Stars, etc).

I always wondered if the MLS had similar plans for the Pacific Northwest. Would a separate MLS team in the PNW kill off the USL in that region? Probably not. The fan base is too strong in that area, and I am sure no one is stupid enough or evil enough to try and break the Seattle/Portland/Vancouver rivarly... well, maybe AEG is.

But nevermind that. Perhaps have D2 split between east/west (setting opportunities for some PDL teams to move up and fill the void while retaining their PDL counterparts as reserves), and leave D1 as national. What do you think? Or do you think that the D2 franchise costs would still be too great for some PDL teams?

4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strong fan base in PNW? Portland has great fans, Vancouver I think has decent support, but Seattle not so much.

5. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle are averaging over 4k per match in all home games.

6. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the problem in Seattle is playing at Quest field. With 4000 in there the place looks empty.

7. Lawman

Lawman New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Vancouver
    Seattle are averaging 3250 per game not 4K+
    Vancouver average 5183

Thank you very much
    2006 USL-1 Champions > 2005 USL-1 Chumps

8. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

This is all very true. Freight is intentionally trying to kill off AMTRAK.

9. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Isn't Seattle a larger market?