Direct Kick on Comcast

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anybody been able to order MLS Direct Kick for 2011 through Comcast yet?

I see on the website that it will be available for 2011, but that's all it says. I called today to order it, and the person on the phone couldn't even find it (which is a problem I had last time we had Comcast).

Any other Comcast cable people been able to order it yet?

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Direct Kick has been made available on any cable system yet. I know my Time-Warner cable system doesn't yet have it.

Last year, as someone reminded me the other day, it didn't become available to the general public until 3 days before the season started, fwiw, so it appears this year will be something similar.

3. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    InDemand who provides Direct Kick to cable companies such as Comcast still has "check back next season" on their information page. But in case it changes somehow after I post this:

http://www.indemand.com/sports/mls/

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First week is a free preview, no? So, there's a bit of a buffer in terms of ordering anyway.

5. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well seeing that the season starts on Tuesday you would think they would at least have information by now about pricing, availability, and such. Then again my Comcast guide here as of right now on the InDemand sports channels for next Saturday has no MLS games at all. If I recall however last year they weren't added to the guide until I believe a few days prior to kick off. But last year they did have the excuse of the pending league strike... this year.... well what excuse can they have exactly again?

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its funny seeing the double standard between MLS and the NFL. The NFL/DirectTV begin there advertising for Sunday ticket during the draft, but the MLS has "check back next season". Funny yet sad all at once. Thats why I watch Union games through my laptop, unless there on FSC or ESPN.

7. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in South Jersey, Philadelphia Comcast. I ordered my Direct Kick on Thursday. It should be up elsewhere as well.

8. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I talked to rep about this the other day. The free preview starts 3/19. That's also when they're starting the ordering process. I wanted to order my package ahead of time so I wouldn't have to scramble on the 19th. You can pre-order DK, but you have to actually speak with a comcast rep or do the live chat. I did the live chat. It should be up for online orders on 3/19 though.

9. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I talked to a live person last night to order it, but she had no clue. Couldn't even find it for the longest time until she got help, then she said they didn't see anyway for me to order it yet.

I will check back next week. Thanks for the help, BSers!

10. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming your cable system has enough of a clue to set up their system for the free preview. Last year, Time-Warner didn't. No free preview here.

When I was a Direct Kick subscriber, the feeling I got was that it was a little-ordered, less-cared-about package that existed primarily because InDemand has no other use for their NBA channels during the summer. I subscribed in both 2008 and 2009 and had issues both times. The billing always got screwed up, the help desk often didn't know what I was talking about, the channels were set up wrong so that I wasn't authorized to receive them all or games appeared on the wrong channel... Last year I switched to MatchDayLive and never looked back.

------RM

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your problems sound like the ones I used to run into with Cox Cable back in the early 2000s, but as the decade progressed they became much more professional in their customer service re Direct Kick, and then when I moved into a "Time-Warner neighborhood" around 2008, they've been very professional in how they offered and provided service for it too.

Anyone know what price it's being offered at this year?

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same problems that I had with Comcast in the early 2000s. When I moved to Cox in 2003 it was perfect, then I moved back to Comcast in 2008. That went OK, but I moved to MDL the next year and never looked back.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $79 again, which is nice.

14. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that's a steal. This will be the first time I will purchase it. Living away from home sucks.

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny, but this is the first year I am seriously considering not getting Direct Kick or an online stream. I have loved having it since becoming an MLS fan in 02. It is hands down the cheapest televised live soccer source in the world (relative to income). But with the Union in operation, I don't have time or energy to watch so many games.

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone with Dish TV they have the Direct Kick TV package up online. So i am assuming you can order it. I will be doing that later this week.

17. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dish and Fios have DK already..Some markets are in HD with Dish tho.

18. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a message on my box today saying that Direct Kick is on free preview this upcoming Saturday. In my area the games are supposed to be on 756-760 but so far no games are showing up on my guide or even on Zap2It.

As far as you folks having difficulties with Comcast in regards to Direct Kick (and anything soccer in general) all I can say is this is why Comcast earned that Worst Company In America award last year from The Consumerist. Their reps have no idea what their company offers due to the lack of training let alone why things are not working due to horrible communication.

19. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when there is a buyout, they usually care more about that then customers.

20. EastCampusAllStar

EastCampusAllStar New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Escazú, Costa Rica
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone seen anything resembling a schedule for Direct Kick yet? Hoping to watch this Saturday but no idea which games they're going to show...

21. EastCampusAllStar

EastCampusAllStar New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Escazú, Costa Rica
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bit worrying as it doesn't show the Vancouver v. Toronto game. I hope that's just a misprint 'cause the game originates in Canada, but that it will in fact be part of the Direct Kick package.

I know the link from mlssoccer.com says that every single MLS game will be shown between Direct Kick and all the network/cable deals.

24. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome that I found this thread. I am so relieved. I was searching everywhere for it online today as well as calling but didn't find anything. Glad to know that it is free Saturday and then I can order. Thanks guys/gals!!!!

25. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you'd prefer to order ahead of time (as I did), you can pull up a live chat on comcast.com and work with a rep that way. If you have more patience, wait till saturday.