Dire On His Way?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Wide Boy, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    The English papers are carrying a story that Mourinho is keen to sign Little Kieron in January.

The proposal is supposed to be that we get the gonad-stamping Huth plus a cash settlement.

It sounds good to me!

2. sakana

sakana BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    OGC Nice
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If we could off-load Dyer I would be happy-- getting quality in return would be a huge, huge bonus. January can't come soon enough.

3. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the way you spelled his name there, Wide Boy. Brilliant! Yep, wouldn't miss him at all if he left.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! Chelski MUST buy Dyer!

(I hope they pay no attention to that Joaquin bloke though :cool: )

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I just can't see "Gonad Boy" in a Toon strip....

...but I do know he would be officially welcomed by Uncle Al. :)

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Whos Dire? Little Kieron?

Dyer came to NUFC with huge potential, and has failed miserably to live up to it. Souness will sell him when the transfer window opens. Theres quite a few players going in my opinion. Dyer, Bramble and Robert.

My brother was in a nightclub in Newcastle, and he spotted Robert and Olly Bernard. Robert signed his shirt.

7. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mel B:
    "Theres quite a few players going in my opinion. Dyer, Bramble and Robert."

Can't see selling any center backs until after at least 2 are brought in. Souness isn't foolish enough to go from being short at the back to signing a guy who fills the void to selling someone and being short agian.

And I believe Johnsen's contract expires in January anyway, leaving him one player down from the start.

8. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

But Ronny was only a stop gap brought in until January. Bramble is shite.

9. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    Johnsen's contract is supposed to have a clause allowing it to be extended to the end of the season, if both parties agree.

Johnsen seemed to me to be out of position for Man Ure's first and should have cleared the ball before the third but in between looked a reasonably good defender (by our low standards at least).

Titus had a typical game. Some amazing gaffes, but at the same time he did some difficult things very well.

10. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Cant see Ronny getting an extended contract. Titus is **********. Bobby Robson's alligence with Ipswich. Not to worry though. Cant wait till next year.

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So if NUFC dont' extend it, is Johnsen SOL? I'm curious since I thought a player could only make no more than one move each year in terms of a club owning his rights. For example, Southampton could loan Crouch out during the winter window but since they just bought him they couldn't sell him. Maybe that only comes into play if it's a transfer and not when a contract runs out?

12. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Come again mate. I think you'll find your taking shite there. That was s. h. i. t. e. incase it got deleted.

13. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    My understanding is that a player can move without restriction if he is a free agent, which Johnsen would be if his contract isn't extended. That was how Newcastle could sign him outside the transfer window.

14. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my understanding as well. It seems that FIFA/national associations/etc can make rules for the Clubs to abide by, but when a player is out of contract he is the same as you or me and can go and work where ever they will pay him. Seems about right.

Johnsen hasn't played a lot this fall. If Toon can sign 2 defenders, he likely wouldn't get an extension. If they only get one, he probably has a job until spring.

Since, as far as I know, Toon is unlikely to find a top quality defender on a free, they might as well open the checkbook now and buy 2. But if So'ton were to go down maybe Higgenbotham, Svenson, and or Van Damme could be had cheaply. Not to mention James Beattie...

15. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    That basically summarises the decision of the European Court of Justice in the famous Bosman case. While the case technically only covered a player wanting to move from one EU member state to another, in practice it is applied to movements within the same country as well.

16. Toonfan_01

Toonfan_01 New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    England
    Too true we won't miss him especially with al these players that Souness is rumoured to be bringing in. I hope we don't sell Robert though, i know he can be moody but he is a very good player.

www.toon-army.co.uk

17. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Robert is a moody bastard. Weve had no luck with French players, except Olly. Souness wont stand for anyones shite.