Diego De La Torre?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 22, 2008.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From Wikipedia:

• Grandparent rule. One obscure ruling of section 322 of a 1994 immigration law enabled persons to emigrate to the United States if they could prove that a grandparent was a citizen.[47] In 2006, there were 4,000 applications of citizenship through grandparents. While parents of any nationality can use the law, Israelis comprise 90% of those taking advantage of the clause.[47]

So from what I read the guy has had US residency for ten years now. He might have a fair chance for naturalization. I'm just not sure how he'll be able to meet the thirty month physical residence in the last ten years rule.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say "the guy", do you mean Diego or his father? Residency meaning a Green Card (there's almost no other way to stay in the US that long without one)?

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm saying that there is a law where you can get residency if you are the grandchild of a US citizen so we should just believe Diego when he says he got ten years ago from his grandmother. Residency=green card. Everything else is work permit or visa.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you mean. I didn't see this in one of the articles:

Born in San Luis Potosí in 1984, de la Torre has had United States residency for 10 years thanks to his grandmother, who was born in Mexico but became a US citizen.

“I think I’d need a passport but they have told me that after having residency for five years, they give it you immediately,” he said. “If there is an opportunity to go to the national team, I don’t think there would be any problem getting the passport.”

I'm not sure how he could have and keep a Green Card for this long while living outside the US. It's possible, I suppose (there are some strange exceptions to the rule). The thing about the Grandparent Rule is it has to be activated before the child is 18. If they had their act together, I guess he could have done it, but he would have had citizenship, not a GC. It may be they used the rule that lets his father get him a Green Card since papa was a citizen if grandma met the residency requirements.

I don't think I saw this article among the thread, so it does shed more light. It sounds much more probable than the "my grandmother was a US citizen so I'm eligible for US citizenship" that we often get. I guess we will see how it plays out.

5. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assist on the only goal vs. Monarcas on 1/4-

neems and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2:38-

Those were his only 2 goals in the 2013 Apertura, but they were both pretty nasty.

Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  9. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has moved to Jaguares.

Yesterday he came off the bench and went 34 minutes in their 2014 Apertura opening 1-1 road draw with Chivas. He picked up a yellow.

Highlights

During the 2014 Clausura he made 15 starts and 1 substitute appearance for Querétaro in Liga MX. He also made 2 substitute appearances in the Copa MX.

Tom Collingsworth, TimB4Last and Testudo repped this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Is De La Torre on loan with Jaguares, or did they purchase his contract?

11. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    de la Torre went the distance caused an own goal after his crossed went in off of Carlos Salcido as Jaguares started the Clausura with a 2-1 home win against Chivas.

Higlights

During the 2014 Apertura he scored two goals in 16 games (10 starts) in the league. He also made 3 starts in the Copa MX.

@bungadiri @Friedel'sAccent Academy since we are not sure he is a YA?

Testudo repped this.
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego de la Torre went 77 minutes as Jaguares started off the Apertura with a 0-0 road draw against Dorados.

He made 17 starts for Chiapas during the 2015 Clausura.

13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    de la Torre went the distance and picked up a yellow card as Chiapas lost the first leg of their playoff quarterfinal on the road to Tigres UANL 2-1.

Highlights

The return leg is tonight at 7 p.m. eastern on Univision, Univision Deportes, Univision Deportes Network - TV en Vivo, fubo.tv, and Sling TV.

14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #89 autobus39, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    de la Torre came on at the half as Chiapas lost the home leg 1-0 to Tigres and the series 3-1 on aggregate.

de la Torre scored 3 goals in 15 games (14 starts) during the regular season. Chiapas finished 4th in the regular season.

Highlights

15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is still kicking around, currently with Cafetaleros de Tapachula in the Ascenso MX.

He started and went 60 minutes in their 3-0 home loss to UAEM F.C. last night.

During the Clausura he made 7 appearances (2 starts) in the Ascenso MX and 3 starts in the Copa MX picking up a red card.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't know if this guy is eligible for US citizenship, but he's now retired and is managing Cafetaleros de Tapachula in the Ascenso MX.

TimB4Last and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean....if wiki say he's a Yank...... :D

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has joined the Atlanta United coaching staff:

https://www.atlutd.com/news/atlanta-united-hires-gonzalo-pineda-as-head-coach

Following a 13-year playing career, Pineda has been an assistant coach with Seattle Sounders FC since 2017. Rob Valentino (assistant) and Liam Curran (goalkeeping) will stay on staff, while Pineda will bring on Diego de la Torre, who recently served as head coach at Cafetaleros de Chiapas in Mexico.

mike4066 and TimB4Last repped this.