Diego De La Torre?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 22, 2008.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Can someone confirm for us that one can claim US citizenship based on one's grandparent being an American?

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when it comes time, for his two kids, to chose their international careers, will they chose India, Mexico, or the US ;) :D

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his grandparent is an American citizen wouldn't that allow their offspring to be citizens also? That seems logical. I would think that first, the grandparent who have to provide proof of citizenship.

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/archives/2007/10/post_37.html

5. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I think your missing a big point which is guys like Edu, Gooch, Adu, Benny, were either born in the US or have spent most their lives growing up in the US, in other words they have a direct connection with the US be it thru ancestry or just plain growing up and living here and learning the game here. The same could be said for practically all our NT. Mexico on the other hand are poaching talent who have no connection to Mexico other then playing 2-3 years in the mexican league because they need the help. Guys like Vouso, Franco, Leandro have no mexican ancestry, heritage, no experience living or growing up in Mexico, thats where the difference is.

6. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    De la Torre has no "American ancestry".

The kid just wants to play in the World Cup.

He'd play for Haiti if they made it to South Africa.

Guille Franco made similar remarks a few years ago which is why nobody in Mexico likes the guy.

7. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Chivas is apparently interested is acquiring De la Torre to strengthen their squad going into the latter stages of the Copa Sudamericana and next year's Clausura tournament.

If he is picked up by Chivas he'll have a bigger chance of being called in to the MNT and maybe he'll change his mind about playing for the USMNT.

It'd be really weird to have a USMNT player playing for Chivas.

Not sure how the fans would react to that.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Has either Torres or Orozco received any abuse from the crowd so far for chosing to play for the USA?

9. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I haven't heard anything about that so I can't comment on the issue but I'm sure there are some idiots out there with a bone to pick with them.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  12. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If he chose to play for the US then Chivas would not sign him, they only sign Mexican players. Similiar to Bilbao in Spain who only play Basque players.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for explaining that to us soccer peasants.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is true. While they have traditionally gone that route they have bent the rules to some degree. Jesus Padilla was born in San Jose and it stirred a bit of controversy when that was discovered. But eventually that was over looked. Chivas has reportedly been after more Mexican-Americans in the past year. I do think they would frown heavily on a US international in their kit but think at some point that tradition will be tested. Then it will be interesting to see what they do.

15. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles

It hadnt been mentioned yet so figured i would throw it out there, sorry for insulting your immense intelligence on the soccer world there buddy.

16. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    fyp

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this kid related to Antonio de la Torre, who had a cup of coffee with the Rapids a few years back?

19. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Did he lived in USA? I personaly dislike players like Rergis who never lived in US and really don't care for US, play because they're not good enough for their native country,

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    umm Diego de la Torre was born in Mexico and his only link the US is his maternal grandmother, who was born in Texas.

He spoke out about playing for the US to put pressure on the FMF to cap him and I don't see where he would fit in on the US squad given the fact that you have Clark, Bradley, Torres, Beasley, Dempsey, Sztela, Thorrington, and others ahead of him on the depth chart.

Seems to me like you're getting ahead of yourself.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He has more of a shot of playing for the USA than Giuseppe Rossi does, and there are loads of Rossi threads in the Gameday forum.

And it wouldn't be the first time that someone has reported on De la Torre there either:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822805

So perhaps the next time you're making the rounds on patrol of these boards you could point those things out to the guy who started that thread. I'm sure he's just dying to know.

22. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    There's no better place to find Mexican national team news than on the US side of the boards.

I mean, you're doing a pretty good job at covering all the latest news.

I just find it a bit strange that the kid is being called a yank abroad when he hasn't even excercised the option of obtaining American citizenship.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your objections to this thread seem to be based on a misunderstanding.

According to the reports cited earlier in this thread, de la Torreis eligible for dual citizenship, which makes him a YA. He may never play for the USMNT, he may really be stating his interest in doing so purely for mercenary reasons, but--and as has been stated before--YA status is not the same thing as USMNT eligibility or interest.

Unless and until there is some additional information refuting de la Torre's US citizenship potential, this thread and others about him have a place in the YA forum.

Persistent griping about the legitimacy of said threads does not, however.

24. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    fair enough.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Doubt it. I think it's just a fairly common Mexican surname.

In fact, his coach at Toluca and another teammate also have it.