Die, The New Offside Rule, die!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by aloisius, Jun 30, 2005.

1. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    No, I’m not talking about the endless passive/active issue; it’s much simpler and much dumber.

The calling of offside only after the attacker touches the ball. He and the defender run 30-40 meters after the ball only to find out it was offside anyway.

I got to handed to FIFA, they’re very creative at making up shiite rules for no reason at all.

2. __Dynamite__

__Dynamite__ Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Krusa (Denmark)
    I agree, the new rule sucks!

I`ve seen an interview with Sepp Blatter on danish television yesterday and he was praising this new rule with no limits. Simply disgusting.

3. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I think that at this point FIFA knows that pretty much everybody thinks they are crap so they just go out of their way to piss people off.

4. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    The trouble is that the new rule is actually a law that was passed by the IFAB, nominally independent from FIFA (but subject to their influence), who only meet once a year. Their new change to the "laws" comes into effect on July 1 (the Confed Cup use was only an "experiment") and can only be changed at next February's IFAB meeting (or if they call an extraordinary meeting).

Maybe after a half-year of the rule being in place in all the big leagues will people be pissed enough to make the change back to the traditional rule in time for the World Cup.

5. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    The rule isn't perfect, but I'd rather have this than have 'judgement' calls determining what is active/passive and determining who wins a match. "Passive offside" is so incredibly variable that it really has no place in the rules.

This is what you are talking about. Because the player is 'passive' until he touches the ball.

6. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    If that is what they are trying to solve, a better solution would be to go back to the original rule (offside position = offside) and exclude injured players (laying on the ground) and players that take themselves off the field of play to indicate they are "passive".

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Yes, I understand that, but the ref should not do anything by the book. There is a difference between a player who is running toward a ball and a real passive player who is avoiding the actual play.

8. Rowdiesfan

Rowdiesfan New Member

Feb 10, 2001
    Orlando, FL
    Running at a full sprint towards the ball is not 'passive'.

9. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    When should the whistle be blown though? I guess that is the confusing part. Well really it doesn't seem too difficult to enforce what you're proposing.

10. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    When the ball is passed forward.

11. Rowdiesfan

Rowdiesfan New Member

Feb 10, 2001
    Orlando, FL
    Flag should be up whenever anyone is in an offside position...referee should decide if player is passive or not

12. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    So when a CB passes the ball upfield about 10 meters, still on their end of the pitch, and one of their strikers happened to be 50 meters upfield and a meter offside, should the whistle be blown? I mean where do you draw the line?

That is the problem. The referee decides who is passive. They are very inconsistant.

13. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    When the ball passes the line where the second to last defender was at the time of the pass or when the offside player touches the ball (whichever occurs first).

14. imahbeng

imahbeng New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    ref shud use common sense

Fifa shud stop adding stupid rules(yellow card 4 taking off shirt)

15. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Yes; besides, a few years ago (I think around WC 1994) there was a recomendation to all referees to "not blow the whistle in case of doubt", which was based on the original rule that the offside should be sanctioned when the ball is played [passed].

Also,
    "If a player is not interfering with play then he shouldn't be
    on the pitch.''
    - Bill Shankly

And I agree with everybody who says FIFA = crap.

There is so much to talk about the offside rule, I can see a book being written about it... :rolleyes:

16. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Yes, they "shud". ;)

How about the mother of all stupid rules, because of the irony it represents: Giving a player a yellow card for diving "trying to deceive the referee". I mean, if the referee was able to see he was diving, then I guess he wasn't deceived... :D

17. ZizouFan14

ZizouFan14 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    This rule is terrible for many reasons, but this is probably the most important:

If a player is in an off-side position, and he and the defender are running after the ball, and the forward player is fouled in a dangerous position before touching the ball, he will have gained a great advantage in a position he shouldn't have been allowed to play in in the first place.

18. ZizouFan14

ZizouFan14 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Yes, but if he wasn't punished he would do it every time, until the referee makes a mistake and calls the penalty kick.

Another stupid rule is touching the ball after the play. They were harsh on this in the FIFA youth Championship.

19. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    How is that ironic? There is a difference between trying to deceive and being successful at it.

20. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    The offside rule make even less sense when you consider there is no difference in offside between a ball sent to the corner and a ball sent into immediate attack toward goal.

The idea of offside is the offense has to overcome at least one defender to get to the goalie. A ball to the corner concedes that the defence will be able to defend.

As much as FIFA and purists are loathe to do it, a line from the top of the center circle across the field should mark offsides. Something like the old NASL offside line. Either that or call fouls in the box more closely and get more PKs into the game for ballance. I am sick and tired of the sheep who keep telling me that the 1-0 or 0-0 game is good football. After watching the 2005 Champion's League Cup Final I dare you to say it to my face.

21. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    Very good point. Not only that, but it certainly adds to the potential of being unnecessarily injured as well.... :(

Zwanzigoetzel

22. Daniel-Alberto

Daniel-Alberto New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    texas
    i don't see the point in this rule, pretty unnecessary.