Die Eisernen - 1. FC Union Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Dage, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looked not so bad when you played in Würburg couple of weeks ago though Kickers had enough chances to equalize.

2. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The D has held up so far, but I've been a fan of this club for too long to place my faith in that continuing.

3. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gave up a bad goal, go a man down, see the opposition lose a man as well...this has been a wild half.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BERLIN — They matched Santa hats with soccer scarves. They sang hymns in cherubic voice and screamed sports chants at the top of their lungs. They held ceremonial white candles and swigged mulled wine from plastic cups.

On Friday night, for the 14th year in a row, the home stadium of F.C. Union Berlin, a second-division soccer club in the eastern corner of the German capital, became the site of the country’s most discussed Christmas celebration. What began more than a decade ago as an improvised gathering of 80 people has since morphed into an ostentatious event — part pep rally, part church service — attended by an arena-stuffing crowd of 28,500.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/sports/soccer/fc-union-berlin-christmas-carols.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/soccer&action=click&contentCollection=soccer&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Dage repped this.
  5. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2nd place is ours clean. Hope the team can keep this roll going!

6. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So...is this actually happening?

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just try to enjoy the situation. :)

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I'm not going to be allowed to leave the US for a year or two, so it's probably gunna happen.

9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    That signing of Seb Polter in January has been a huge boost in momentum. Thoughts on Hedlund? Looks like his form has been on a rise lately.

10. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was an ugly start defensively against the freshly promoted Kiel squad...but 2 games, 2 wins is a good place to start this season :thumbsup:

Dage repped this.
  11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UNION going up after a dramatic relegation battle against VfB Stuttgart for the first time ever. What an achievement!! What a night!! And if there is a city where you can party all night long on a monday, then it's Berlin!!

Next season there will be a derby against HERTHA. Glory days for the Berlin clubs. IMG_20190527_223754_574.jpg

Rosebud repped this.
  12. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congratulations!! You guys deserved it. I

Rosebud and Dage repped this.
  14. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
  15. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So far so ... mixed. This season shows how large the gap between 1st and 2nd Bundesliga has grown. Even Cologne are struggling after only one year down ( Truth be told though, they have the absolutely worst luck you can imagine. Tonight Schalke's Sane miracuously escapes a mandatory send-off and scores the winning goal minutes later...And that was one of their better days. )

Paderborn, the third club promoted, are being ravaged every matchday.

Union will have to hope for at least two clubs being worse than them. Other than Paderborn, there are a few candidates. Mainz, Augsburg, maybe ( hopefully ) Duesseldorf. Most of them have more individual quality though and after Hertha is starting to get her act together none of the established clubs seem to have a disastrous season.

Looks like it will be a fight to the very end between Cologne, Union and two or at max three of the other clubs. I can't see how Paderborn could possibly get out of their predicament. Just like everybody else I commend their bravado, but it won't suffice.

16. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ah no.. it's not that bad - at least not now. They had to play 5 teams that qualified for European competition in the first 7 match days. It was rather clear they would pushed around like they were. They even did better than expected, especially with the win against the BVB. The important phase of the Hinrunde comes after the game tomorrow. They need to start collecting points now and I hope their moral hasn't been demolished in these first weeks. They probably had the most difficult opponents of all teams in the league.

We have yet to see how good this UNION team is.

17. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doing good so far. I would go as far as saying, the team is currently overachieving. Especially if you compare the results with those of Paderborn and Köln.

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey followers, tonight we'll be another European spectacle. Slavia Prag vs Union Berlin, should be a great game.

19. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Until the red card, and then it wasn't such a great game.

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the boys came back to tie the game and showed great spirit. I very much liked it. But of course the two late goals ruined the game somehow but hey, it was a great fight and thus not that bad. They will make it out of the group.

Rosebud repped this.
  21. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Those of us in a different Feyenoord forum (not BS) considered Union to be the most likely to advance from the group and were surprised by the result in Praha. Feyenoord went to Haifa and had a dull 0-0 draw, which is better than a loss, but not what should have happened.

Anyway, this is an interesting group. Union should be able to win all three home matches in my opinion. Feyenoord are usually strong at home, but need to pick up some road points in case of a home draw.

Rosebud and Dage repped this.