Did Wenger Lose the Clubhouse Back in 07?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DoctorJones24, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    During the Man U/Swansea game today, there was some talk about rumors of Arsenal interest in Michu, and the announcers repeated Laudrup's response: "He's not for sale even if their price was ridiculous. Why be the richest club in the championship?" Now it's one thing for a manager to say such a thing, but I was also struck by how there's no hint that interest from Arsenal would "unsettle" the likes of Michu. And yet that's precisely the nightmare Arsenal fans have lived through annually since Henry left in 07. Why is that? Why isn't Michu holding out, acting petulant, etc. the way Arsenal players have been doing for the past 6 years? I count 10 players who Wenger desperately (in most cases) did NOT want to sell, but whom he was essentially forced to sell by their respective demands, immaturity, and greed. How is that possible? Does it all go back to some symbolic effect of letting Henry go to Barcelona in 07? Is it an intuitive response to the "buy low and develop" mentality of the club that players maybe see as out of touch with the huge clubs? So a perceived lack of ambition?

It just seems to me this is an under-discussed aspect of Wenger's management. What is it about his relationship with his stars that they all seem to so quickly jump ship on him? I actually think this might be his biggest failing (he's still a good game manager, IMO--the jobs he's done the last couple years getting into the Champs League have been fantastic with his squads and injury luck). But you just know if Dortmund or AC Milan expressed interest in Cazorla or Wilshere this January, we'd start seeing articles about how they're feeling unsettled, desiring to leave, etc. I think maybe that's Wenger's real (and only) weakness: knowing how to keep his stars pulling in the same direction as the club overall. Maybe that's how the modern game with all the inflated egos has passed him by.

Players we didn't want to sell, but did: Nasri, Fabregas, Song, A. Cole, Van Persie, Adebayor, K. Toure, Hleb, Clichy, Henry. (I admit that Hleb wasn't seen as a major loss at the time, but it fits the pattern, and he was certainly useful).

I can see an obvious counter in that I'm sure many of our recent signings (Arteta is an obvious example) were indeed unsettled at their former clubs at the prospect of Arsenal interest in much the same way our own players have been.

2. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could have something to do with our stadium debt and financial restraints. We don't spend money unless we generate money from player sales.

Could be that Wenger is too nice for his own good. It doesn't seem like he's willing to hold a wantaway player hostage.

Could be a deeper issue with European soccer where smaller clubs are always expected to bend over whenever a big club wants one of their players. That has always struck me as odd. Here in the USA, players don't have much say in trades. They can't usually force their way out of a team just because they want to go somewhere else. Yet in soccer the little guys are always happy to pawn off their stars at the first good opportunity, even if the player has several years left on his deal.

I'm not surprised that Liverpool's American owner has played hardball in that sense. That is the culture here. A player wants out? Too damn bad.

Then there's just the overall lack of ambition. Why did Nasri and RVP let their contracts run down? Maybe because they looked around and realized that the team wasn't serious about winning. As much as I hate those guys for jumping ship, you can't really blame them when the team shows no ambition at all. This is probably the biggest factor and it has really hurt our brand. Players like Hazard, Neymar, and Illarimendi probably didn't even consider coming here because they don't see us as a club that's serious about competing for major titles. Yea, Wenger talks up our title chances every season, but he never backs it up with transfer activity.

That's why I support buying Suarez at pretty much any cost. Not so much because he's worth the money. More as a valuable statement of intent that we're serious about being a massive club that will do what it takes to compete.

Silva 5 and DoctorJones24 repped this.
  3. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Same. I think Suarez is a lunatic and a complete piece of shit, but I just don't care at this point. Do something, ass holes!

4. D-invincibles

D-invincibles Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is an unfortunate status that we got atm. Two big signings would reverse the perception. Players are like other professions. They gossip, they natter and they influence each another. Henry was a legend, but the way he left Arsenal was not helpful when he should have been retiring with us. Wenger looked bad out of the RVP departure. All the rest of the ten you could let go, those two are ones who said a lot about the club once they were gone.

5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably started with Vieira. I'll bet that upset Henry, who (rightfully) figured at 16 year old wasn't gonna win the CL. Then Bergkamp retired, Cole forced his way out (for 5k/week!) and it's been downhill since.

DoctorJones24 and SaratogaGooner repped this.
  6. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does Arsene stay? Really, his pockets must be very full at this point, he's ********ing old, and he has had his glory days. He must have a huge ********ing ego on the scale of any of histories egolamaniacs . How else can you explain his desire to come to work and get booed by 60,000? That would make me sail off into the sunset, especially if I could well afford it.

7. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB
    Wenger stays because the whole club is built arund him! Why would he leave when he only has to answer to SOME fans and some sections of his media? His bosses are happy with what he does and how he operates. His 'ego' is valued by the board. They give him free reign to shape the club in how he wants it to be done. I think deep down the board are scared of change and especially having to admit their loyalty in Wenger has reached an end. Their egos are at stake and most importantly all their reputations. They need to put the RIGHT people around Wenger, not "yes men" and allow them to challenge Wenger and suggest new ways of doing things. I doubt this will happen but with PHW out of the mix their is more of a chance, albeit a slim one. The problem with the board is none of them represent the views of the fans and none of them are that interested; no matter how much they say they are. Actions speak louder than words.

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Yeah, how did I leave Vieria list? Notice how when Ronaldo forced his way out of Man U, they didn't have a similar crisis, but it's just snowballed at Arsenal until now it's pretty much expected that if you reach world class status, you're better off at a bigger club.

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Maybe this is what's bugging me. Did Nasri or RVP really throw bigger fits than Suarez has this summer? Yet it looks like Liverpool are calling his bluff. What if Wenger had done the same? He's had plenty of chances, but he always always ends up selling.

10. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I really do not understand, as an outsider, how Wenger gets blamed for all this stuff. If Wenger does not spend money on transfers does that money somehow get wired directly into his personal account? Wenger has a salary and bonuses, i don't see not buying players as being a bonus to him, and even if it was, then the blame should still directly go to the owners of Arsenal not Wenger. Basically managers want the best players, if it was me as manager i'd spend as much money as the owners/board allowed, and that's probably what Arsene is doing. I would blame the owners/board for all this, Wenger seems to be the scape goat to me.

11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't spend any money. It's there. He refuses to use it.

12. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    he doesn't have to be a scapegoat, **IF** that is what he is.
    all he has to do is say "the board won't let me spend". if he doesn't, he freely accepts the criticism. simple as that.

anyway, i don't believe it is all down to the board. both deserve kicked out.

13. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tipping point to me was the League Cup loss to Birmingham. I think that loss started the want-away exodus that broke up what ultimately could have been a title-contending team. Had Arsenal won that game I'm not so sure Fabregas desires to return to Barca so quickly and if Cesc stays then I imagine RvP stays as well.

14. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB

Wenger has the full trust of the board; they give him their total backing. Therfore of course he is the easy scape goat when things go wrong.

The club board trust him with all this power and give it to him.

The blame needs to be given to the board who are running this club dysfunctionally. They are not not putting the right people around Wenger to clinch the transfers and to get the right players in, basically there is a faliure to seal the deal.

I am also unsure if OUTSIDE of Arsenal, Wenger has the same appeal and the same draw that he he used to have. Wengers opinion may be worse amongst top targets who feel the club may lack ambition due to the barren years without trophies. Wenger used to be able to convince players to follow his dream at Arsenal. Now I believe this is not as strong as it used to be.

Wenger is basing any new transfers on being done as frugal as possible and as cheaply as possible due to his opinions and morals about "wasting money". He may also be scared of being burned again by paying over the odds for what tern out to be "mediocre players". The bottom line is that the board allow Wenger to have carte blanche control of it all, so he is doing it the way he sees fit. The board is giving Wenger too much power but this has been based on loyalty to Wenger. The scouting network and player acquisutions side of the club is dysfunctional as the recent AST statement said.

The club, the board and even the fans need to shoulder some blame for allowing Wenger to become so powerful and for not reigning it in for the good of our team. Wenger willingly makes himself a scape goat for the board, it is his own doing.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to be the real problem. Wenger is too cautious and will think forever without acting. He needs a go getter that will encourage him to act, and get it done when they decide to move for a player. Our present management team seems incapable of delivering.

16. D-invincibles

D-invincibles Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I use 4 different message boards. There's a lot of thoughtful gooners who say exactly the same. Wenger is like a vital organ in the club, but one that has cancerous tissue. These fans want the cancerous tissue taken out, and yes they are bad habits on AWs part. But they do not want the vital organ thrown on the floor. For the torch carrying mob its only going to be "Can Wenger!"

17. D-invincibles

D-invincibles Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I agree with a few things you said here. My thoughts about it are if the club is run dysfunctionally by the board what will the new manager be able to do with that? That means you want the board gone, Kroenke out, and then see what way Wenger behaves. If he continues then he was part of the problem.

18. jameslamont

jameslamont Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norfolk, GB

Im not saying I neccesarily want the board out, but I want them to show they have the guts to reign in Wengers power and not be so in awe with him. They need to put people around him who can influence the club and have new ideas and influence things.

A shake up of the board is essential if we want meaningful change, we need more fan represenation on the board and some new blood with new ideas. Not people in awe of Wenger and afraid to challenge him, which is what we have now.