Did Landon Donovan just say he wants his own MLS club?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 19, 2015.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-hints-creating-brand-new-franchise-club.html

US soccer legend Landon Donovan has hinted he might try and emulate David Beckham and create his own franchise club in the MLS.

Donovan, who won a record 157 caps for America and had a brief spell on loan with Everton, says he is being approached by big business tycoons who want to get involved in the league.

'When you see franchise values of sports teams in America, they skyrocket quickly. Major League Soccer is still very relatively cheap to get into and they see there is a possibility not only to have a good business venture but to continue to help build something special.

'We are talking all over, you’d be amazed. I’m surprised how many billionaires there are.'

I realize its the Daily and there is a lot of conjecture in there, but it got me thinking, where would Landon want to put a MLS team even if he did have the investors?

2. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesn't he have ties to Sacramento?

3. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was in Sacramento over the summer, and met with our ownership group. About what, no one has leaked.

It's not too far of a stretch to assume it was about joining the ownership group in some fashion, either as an owner or in a coaching capacity (or both). Donavan had no other reason for being up in Sac, AFAIK. No one even knew he was in town until the mayor tweeted a pic after the fact.

I had thought he might latch on to LAFC, but that hasn't seemed to materialize. Either due to Galaxy loyalty, or more likely, a crowded ownership with plenty of ideas and fingers in the kitchen. He's not going to coat tail Beckham, Minny and ATL may not be areas he wants to live and/or ownerships not interested?

Who knows. I'd imagine he'd be having discussions with all prospective cities that have existing ownership groups, along with cobbling together a group of his own. There are a limited number of future opportunities (franchises)

Sac may have the inside track being in California and open to him participating

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Word is that he wants a franchise playing at Azteca.
    As I understand it, he has a large fan base there.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI it's red italics for sarcasm. It's a BS rule. :)

I've also read that Donovan might be involved with AEG's equity sale of Houston Dynamo, but the Daily article seemed to imply a new franchise.

6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However...that makes the remarks Dr. McGuire made at the St. Paul stadium press conference last month about "other members of the ownership group you may not have met yet" all the more interesting...

EDIT: ...and remember, Landon was here for the MUFC expansion announcement back in March.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta got Boca and most of us were surprised at that. Donovan in Minnesota doesn't surprise me that much.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    ✩ ❈❅❒❅❂❙ ❐❒❏❐❏▲❅ ▼❈❁▼ ❁●● ▲❁❒❃❁▲❍ ❂❅ ❐❏▲▼❅❄ ❉■ ❐◆❒❐●❅ ✺❁❐❆ ✤❉■❇❂❁▼▲✎

Zoidberg and edwardgr repped this.
  9. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't know that.

Not surprising. Like I said above, there are a limited number of future franchises available. If he wants to get on board with one, now is the time.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  10. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not a very nice thing to say, even if it is true.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Scorpions are selling season tickets with Landon autographed soccer balls as the incentive ...

.... so clearly he's going to do this here in SA and take the Scorpions to the MLS in a huge SWERVE ~!

:( or not.

edwardgr repped this.
  12. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Don't forget he said, Minnesota would make a great expansion city. If Landon is smart he should get in bed with all the Minnesota owners. They are fair, good people and are humble. ;)

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he wants to get in as a coach somewhere first?

14. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    679398732367052801 is not a valid tweet id

Interesting.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure NPSL means higher aspirations, but good on Landon to get something going.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they're reportedly aiming at USL, not NPSL and have withdrawn the Flash from the NPSL. Hopefully that means they're making the play for USL.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/report-landon-donovan-43671/

Maybe a prelude to an MLS run with the other interested parties in San Diego like former Padres and new Everton part owner John Moores?

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The added details make this interesting. This would be full circle, since the Flash began in the A-League. But do they still re-brand?

Nice one, Gaster.

18. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the NFL vote today and the Chargers maybe going to LA, soccer may have a chance in SD. Also no NBA or NHL either to compete for the sports dollar. Just baseball and Aztec football. If the build a joint Aztec-MLS stadium, its close enough for Donovan if he wants to remain in the LA area. Yes I know the Zolos are just over the border, but who is to say SD and Zolos play a home and away series every year to build up interest in soccer in the area?

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Xolos aren't really that big of a competitor. They have a relatively niche market they've cultivated in San Diego and points north of the border no doubt. But being on their side of the border always will place limitations on their appeal to San Diego as a whole. Particularly the further you move away from the border into North County. And I'm saying this as one of the Xolos north of the border Anglo fans.

That said, a home and home between San Diego and Tijuana could definitely be interesting.

chungachanga repped this.
  20. Guil_

Guil_ New Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tijuana Chargers? Nice