Did Hankinson just lose his job?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by greenie, Oct 27, 2003.

1. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Lord, I hope so.

There is simply no reason that this team should fail to finish a season with a losing record. Short of him winning MLS Cup, I don't see how the Rapids can rationalize keeping him around.

Fire Hankinson. Now.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this team would do better in the playoff without the Playoff Poo at the helm.

mmmmmmm, donuts

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    loose segue

From the Rapids website---
    Rapids Krispy Kreme Donut: The Colorado Rapids and the four Krispy Kreme stores in the Colorado area have partnered to create the Rapids Black & Blue Krispy Kreme Doughnuts to commemorate the Rapids 2003 playoffs race. The commemorative Doughnuts will be available at all four locations (Aurora, Colorado Springs, Lone Tree, Thornton) beginning Saturday, October 25 and all the way through the Rapids playoff stint...

I tried to get one in Thornton on Saturday, but there weren't any. They did have the posters up though, and the doughnuts look pretty cool :) They look like they have an attitude---you know, like they would kick those other doughnuts' asses.

Anyway, the lady behind the counter cluelessly said, "No, we don't have any of those today. They usually do the Halloween doughnuts until Halloween, so maybe they're going to start the black & blue ones after that."

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    We created this flag on Jameson's Night -- err, the home match against the Revs -- which marked the start of their winning ways.

Not that I believe in voodoo or mojo or anything, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to bust it out again, at least in a virtual sense.

[​IMG]

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw this team's potential in the middle of the season (which I thought Hankinson deserved some credit for), but clearly, if the team doesn't play to its potential in the playoffs (MLS Cup finalist, IMHO)
    then I really hope they will get rid of Hanki. The whole point of the MLS season is to get your team ready for the playoffs.

Unless you are the Burn, every team (even the Crew) was supposed to be getting in position, to peak around the playoffs and be at your best in October and November. With 80% of the teams making the postseason, focusing on the regular season doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's like the NHL, where making the playoffs for most teams isn't as much of a focus as putting yourself in a good position to be ready for the playoffs (healthy players, cohesive team, consistent special teams...)

I don't think firing Hanki now is the answer. If the Rapids lose in the first round to KC, then management will have a clear reason to can Hanki, right now, it would just look reactionary and the team could still lose to KC and we'd really have no clear scapegoat, except maybe management for getting rid of Hanki too soon.

Then again, if the Rapids make the Cup final or *gasp* win the MLS Cup, give Hanki his props...

Kind of silly that really, all you have to do to win the MLS Cup is win 3 out of 4 games. (Win at least one game in the first round, maybe even lose one, but outscore your opponents on the aggregate. Win the conference final, then win the MLS Cup.) You'd think this would be tougher or more involved, but they've tinkered with the playoff format since the league started. They really need to get it straight.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the flag though, that kicks ass.

7. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Why?

I'd like to hear an example of just how Hankinson should be applauded should the Rapids make MLS Cup.

You said it yourself, it only takes two wins to make it to the final.

Obviously firing him today would not be any sort of answer, and should it happen even I would (reluctantly) agree that firing the guy after winning an MLS Cup would be a mistake.

But aside from cursory pat on the back, the only thing that should earn him respect at this point would be Hankinson barmstorming through the playoffs due to a radically different player combination and strategy, followed by the players all crediting the coach for a remarkable post-season.

8. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's get a little theoretical then. I would love to see the Rapids get a great coach. I agree that Hanki isn't it. However, what would you rather have:

Rapids win the MLS Cup?
    Rapids get a new coach?

Now you can't choose both (cuz if they win the MLS Cup, Hanki ain't goin' anywhere although it's not guaranteed that they'll fire him if they lose to KC in the playoffs, wish it was.). But to me, the answer is clear (MLS Cup). Hanki may suck, but winning is more important.

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    That's beside the point. It's not a matter of what I or any fan would rather have, it's a matter of what the team actually does.

I'll answer your question, but with a qualifier of my own:

A. Rapids win MLS Cup, Hankinson gets a 5-year contract extension.

B. Rapids lose to San Jose in west final, Hankinson is fired.

Given those options, I'd choose B. A better coach will do a lot more good (such as win multiple titles) over the course of the next 3-5 years than Hankinson.

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Hey no defending Hanki ....

but what about the damn players??? What about the horrific defense???

What about our beloved Borchers falling to crap since he came on the national recognition scene?

I thought the turn around was competely because of the players? If so, then isn't the colapse compeletely because of the players too?

What about Pablo missing an important game cuz he's an idiot?

I'm seriously not saying Hanki isn't to blame for a winless six game streak ... but COME ON ... it's not all him.

Garlick has allowed 8 goals in the last 3 games ... 8 in two if you don't include the SJ game.

I don't know ... what I'm saying is I'm completely bummed with them ALL.

These wankers better get it together for KC.

Greenie ... who's who in that picture?

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    GoRapids:

I am very much in agreement with you. I think Hanks has been at best a non factor and at worst a detriment. I agree that's it's been the players that stepped it up and deserved all the credit. At the same time, they've let down recently. To your points:

"but what about the damn players??? What about the horrific defense???"
    To many missed chances and poor defense.

What about our beloved Borchers falling to crap since he came on the national recognition scene?
    I'm not sure it's related, but yeah, his youth and inexperience has returned. Perhaps he was playing way above his head, I don't know. But he was awesome during that streak, maybe we were spoiled.

"What about Pablo missing an important game cuz he's an idiot?"
    Agreed - great player when he's on the field and not playing demolition derby defenses

"I'm seriously not saying Hanki isn't to blame for a winless six game streak ... but COME ON ... it's not all him."
    Like I said he's a non-factor, at best. He did nothing to create the turn around, nothing to cause the 0-3-3 and nothing to turn it around since. Since we don't have a coach who contributes, put the money towards a 5th keeper :)

"Garlick has allowed 8 goals in the last 3 games ... 8 in two if you don't include the SJ game."
    I'm blaming the 'D'.

"I don't know ... what I'm saying is I'm completely bummed with them ALL."
    Agreed

"These wankers better get it together for KC."
    Agreed

12. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Regardless of the outcome of this last game, if I were counce, Hanki would be long gone (of course I'd have to fire myself because I don't think that counce is much better).

The Rapids hired proven mediocrity as a coach....................and that's just what they got (maybe even less).

He's hardly been a winner at any level that he's been a coach. I think his best streak was three years with the battery, only winning about 65% of all matches.

Hell, I'd rather have Dave Dir as a head coach. At least we'd get a guy that's won some hardware and is a little more animated than a blow up doll.

13. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was willing to give Hanki some credit during the streak. Not screwing it up deserves a little praise, maybe very little. I also always made the reservation of, how will Hanksinson handle the team when Pablo, and then Powell comes back. Add to that Zizi's recovery.

Of course none of these players is particularly to blame for our lousy form of late. I do have a lot of criticism for Pablos "midfield" play, and Zizi's touch, but the fact is that the difference between the majority of our players is very marginal. Putting the best TEAM on the field takes a pretty refined touch for management. Hankinson doesn't appear to have that touch.

For those who haven't read Wynalda's article (http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/90min1025wynalda.html) it's well worth reading. Look at the things he praises Sarachen for, and imagine saying those things about Hankinson. I don't think you can. When Hankinson has had options he has invariably tinkered with the team in a negative way. There was a point during the season when this team found itself an identity. It's a shame that the identity seems to have disappeared as Hankinson's options returned.

14. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm.... well said.

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    While I'm not disagreeing with you saying that the tinker lead to negative results ....

What would you have done different?

When Frasier's father passed ... what would you have done?

When Becks and Pablo had reds what would you have done?

When Spenny got hurt ... what would you have done?

With the exception of the last game where Zizi got the start over CC ... I don't think the starting lineup was wrong? Show me it was ... seriously ... I NEED to get on this "Its all Hanki's fault" wagon.

16. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    You can make these arguments all day about the chess piece nature of players. It is natural to do because it is something we can look at and judge based upon game performances we have seen.

But the biggest things a coach does is not always deciding who plays. We have all seen coaches who can take identical players from a previous guy and win with them. A recent example is Jack McKeon.

So much of what a coach does is psychological in getting the team ready to play and confident in his scheme. It is teaching the team his style and getting them to buy into it. It is working with a bunch of different personalities and getting them to work together. I know this sounds like a trite sports movie but its true. When I played a lot of sports, and I bet most of us can attest to this, it was obvious which coach was a leader and made you believe and which did not. And the leader always got better results.

Hankinson has been a .500 or lower coach in the MLS. We can critique who plays, but most of the work has been done before that. I don't think that this guy has got the ability to truly lead a team to glory.

17. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Obviously you can't do anything about some of these problems... Frasier's father dying is a good example. And sometimes bad things just happen on the field...Beckerman getting red carded a few weeks ago.

BUT... Some things Hankinson could have done differently...

For example (just to name one thing) could have worked with Mastroeni to temper his dangerous play. I don't care what they do on the national level. The Rapids are in MLS, not playing for the national team (usually). When he's playing for the Rapids, he needs to learn to play under MLS rules and refs.

Another example - Henderson was terrible for most of the year (injuries?) - great chance to develop someone else so that even when Hendo comes around, we have a quality bench player. That didn't happen.

I can't believe that a decent coach would go winless in 6 games when playoff seeding is up for grabs. That is just sad. All it would have taken was a victory, somewhere along the line. And then with it all on the line, we let Dallas get 4 goals in 20 minutes???

Partially, it is the players fault, but ultimately it is the coach that comes up with strategy and plans. Hankinson's only strategies, as far as I can tell, is:

(A) If all my subs are injured and we are doing well, I will not sub in an injured player.

(B) I will try to make sure as many Colorado (especially Littleton natives!) connection players play, no matter how poorly the play or how detrimental their conduct is to our team (Trembly!!!).

Oh well. MLSCup or bust. I suspect that he will be canned after MLSCup ala Mooch, in a "We need a coach to take us to the next level" statement.

18. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    One important question that almost no one has answered: WHO would you pick to replace Hanki?

19. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    [​IMG]

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey GoRapids, in that photo that is Dan Counce on the left and Tim Hankinson on the right.:D I had to plug that one in there.

Fashion, you better get me a few of those donuts. Or maybe someone could post a picture when they arrive.

I'm still on the fence with Hanki right now. I think there isn't any reason why the Rapids can't win the whole damn thing. In which case I need to reevaluate a few things.

21. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again?

I believe Pet Rock is biding his time planning on replacing Fergie at Man U next season. I know this as the Queen told me when I was visiting this summer and ate ice cream in the palace with her.......

I have been critical of Hankinson early this year, and felt he was not the answear. During the streak, I gave him credit for the success. You are what your record is in Pro Sports. Late this year, it's been clear to me that the streak was due to the players rallying behind themselves, not the coach. I just cannot get over having a coach who is not responsible for getting his players emotionally ready to play.

As much as I enjoy in pointing out where Greenie is wrong, he is correct in that Hankinson has not shown the ability to be the 'extra' factor that great coaches give their team (at any level). He has, if anything demonstrated the opposite. I am most critical of his use of allocations (i.e. the special players to take you from pretender to contender, or from bridesmaid to bride). We are still pretenders & bridesmaids.

To repeat my posting from another thread, Counce said of Cannon, "Any time you can improve your team by adding someone, you should" (or something like that).

I also agree that change for change sake isn't ideal...you must 'improve' if you fire. No, I do not have a name...but with our solid core of middies, a Frankie Yallop type may be better than a re-hash of a B-Movie coach.

RLH

22. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Can't believe I'm actually going to say this but:

For all Seth's failings (whining, flopping, inciting) he was effective. When he was paired with Becks in the middle, the Rapids season turned around. Both of those guys disrupted play, slowed the opponent's midfield, and generally made themselves a thorn in the side of their opponents. They also clogged the middle and took the pressure off our back four, while allowing the Rapids to reset their defense. It cannot be overstated how important that type of play is especially when you have a rookie in central defense and a complete liability at right back.

Not that I'm happy with watching Seth get in the faces of other players or generally act like a two year old, but he was effective and central to the Rapids' turnaround.

23. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Adding to joeyclams' statement, all those who criticize Beckerman, Termbly and Hart would be wise to consider the fact that the Rapids' best stretch of the season involved all three of them seeing regular playing time as starters.

They may not be technically gifted and lacking in many areas, but the fact is that in the middle of the season they got the job done when there was nobody else around to do it.

24. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda has an article on MLSnet that would swade the nay-sayers into firing Hankinson. I always like the Rapids, especially Spenny, and I agree with the notion of firing him. He lost control of the team, his ego needs to get in check, and he needs to coach a less stressful team because you NEVER replace a healthy goalkeeper who GOT YOU TO THE PLAYOFFS with a goalkeeper who played a COMBINED 45 MINUTES!!! Regardless or not that Cannon is a GOTY, he's rusty and not ready for the playoffs. Colorado fans, you better prepare a nice card for Garlick, cause I have a good feeling he's on his way out.