Diallo injury a good thing?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Jacen McCullough, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Bear with me for a minute here, but I think the Diallo injury could end up being a good thing. Without Diallo available, OZ will have no choice than to put Clint up top with Faria, slotting Williams in as A-Mid (where he belongs). With Diallo on the IR, his starting slot likely reverts to Brad Davis, who should have been starting (over Faria) in the first place. We still might have a problem with the right mid situation, but if Ramos is back, as is rumored, OZ will have to choose between sitting one of Moore and Paule, or sitting one of the defenders to go with a 3-man backline. Either way is better than the no-winger formation we've been playing. Finally, something specific to the Dallas game, with Ziadie suspended, we may see a backline of Akwari Petke Addo Jolley, which is probably our best combo in a four man backline. Looking at all of this, Diallo's injury, and the timing of it (right before Ramos is due back) may end up being something that does more to help the team than hurt it.

JMac

PS: To stop the criticism before it starts, yes I do realize we'd be dead F*!@in last without Diallo, and I do think he's a great player, but this team has a ton of great players and OZ screws it all up anyway. If an injury to Diallo is what it takes for OZ to re-work the line-up, then I hope Diallo's a slow healer.

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Diallo is out ...he's going to be out for 2-4 weeks.

Looks like Oz has his final chance to show if he can put a winning formula on the pitch.

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oz will probably screw it up and start Klinger up top with Faria. Davis will still be coming off the bench and Ramos won't last a half. Not to sound pessimistic but seems like we've been thru this in the past and Oz will not start his best 11 at their best postions no matter what.

4. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it worked for Arena (IMHO injuries to Armas & Agoos forced Arena to make some important changes), maybe it will work for OZ.

5. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i was always looking forward to seeing diallo and mathis play up top with williams, ramos and davis in the midfield....

but because of oz, i knew it would never happen.....

so...maybe it is a blessing in disguise insomuch as we get to see clint play as a forward....although faria has been a disappointment this season, maybe all of his hustling will keep defenders busy and free clint up a few times during a game....

eitherway, i think davis belongs in the starting line up...and ziadie should be on the bench....the red card finally puts him there.....

knowing oz though, he'll be starting again vs. dc.

oz has been a huge disappointment this season....

6. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is we still have a horrid lack of depth in the midfield and forward positions. The only people we can bring in off the bench are Ramos (if healthy), Lisi, Moore and perhaps Chronopolous. Meanwhile Dallas might be have the best depth in the league.

7. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Why am I picturing Alvarez in the starting eleven? I really hope I shouldn't be this scared.

8. Bill Russell

Bill Russell New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    Count on OZ to do that or something nearly like it.

9. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    No bigger situation for Mathis to step it up. Injured or not if he doesn't come through in this stretch, I say trade him and his salary to another MLS side for next year or transfer him to Europe.

10. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Diallo injury?

WTF? Today I read in the Star-Ledger that Diallo will be out 2-4 weeks (the rest of the season), but now he may play on Thursday?

http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/story.jsp?ID=868

This article from metrofanatic.com also says that Tab will be playing on Thursday so it may all be a hoax ;)

11. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this nightmare this summer, the Metros were playing at some Community College field on Long Island and had Alvarez starting as a forward. I think as part of that nightmare Alvarez actually whiffed on a shot

12. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Re: Re: Diallo injury a good thing?

and Nassau County law prohibited the throwing of streamers, and for some reason, Cowlumbus had special kits for the match....

13. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Re: Diallo injury?

The article is a Metro press release BTW.

14. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Re: Re: Diallo injury?

Its a sad day when metrofanatic is no more reliable then a Metro press release....