Diagnosis of Canadian Football

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DominicanStrikeForce, Jul 10, 2005.

1. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    <<That connection to the game because it is Canadien and because it is good football seems to be what is missing. >>

Well Newman, I havent missed the point, you've just agreed with my point about GOOD FOOTBALL. We have plenty of community and amateur football for people to enjoy, but the game hasnt taken off at the pro level across Canada because many of the large immigrant communtities that Joe Macarthy slights are loyal to the type of soccer being played in their country of origin. You and Joe's argument depends on the 'Eurosnobs' or Latinsnobs in Canada having to give up their devotion to good football to support USL or even lower level soccer out of devotion to Canada. My argument is to present good soccer over here, and the "snobs" will gradually be won over. Its democratic. I'm probably a eurosnob and I am hoping for an MLS team here in Toronto so I can PAY to watch better quality soccer. I have observed the improvement in the MLS and am now won over. I know I'm not the only eurosnob who has been.

Its time for North American soccer to admit it is a minor sport, stop acting like everyone owes it a favour and go out and win over fans through dedication to quality.

2. What people don't seem to realize on here sometimes is that the Lynx would struggle to draw much of a crowd in a large European city given the relatively low playing standards. Nobody is obligated to pay to watch pro soccer. The onus is always on the team to produce an entertainment product that will pull in paying spectators.

3. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Blizzard, you are a voice of reason on here. :) There are many high quality entertainment alternatives available in Canada. For soccer to try to step up to the plate without its A game is an exercise in futility

4. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Amen Gooner Amen, you just now said it so good. I have for years tried to put that into my own words .

5. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    I was just listening to The FAN590 with Chuck Swirsky, they were discussing the state of Canadian soccer, and how sad it is that Canada is ranked only 84th, it was pretty interesting, they made some good points. Its good to see that the media is getting more critical of the CSA...hopefully it will put a fire under their a$$e$.

6. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It wont, it was a fluke just like 1986 was. :(

7. Joe MacCarthy

Joe MacCarthy New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Can't let that pass. For a long time we pretty much owned the US and much of Concacaf (save Mexico) We began to struggle after the demise of the NASL and later CSL.

We certainly weren't embarrassed in WC86. You can download the Fifa technical reports from here
    http://www.fifa.com/en/development/technicalsection/0,3454,3,00.html
    for a team analysis. I'm on a dialup account at this moment but I'll post it sometime or someone on a high speed line can if they feel like it.

From Matthew at Vs
    http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7332&whichpage=4

I agree completely and so did World Soccer. In their post World Cup issue their team summaries basically said "Debutants will be disappointed to go home without a goal, but put a scare into the European champions. Earned respect with an honest, hard-working approach and gave more traditional footballing nations a lesson in hard work (not naming names but go back one reference."

Which was a reference to Bulgaria who they felt were 'rude, negative and wasteful of what talent they had." or something to that effect.

8. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    FYI, there are more Canadians on Soccer scholarships in the NCAA than in Basketball and Baseball combined.

9. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    What if Canada formed a soccer league in the same style as the CHL? Have three different leagues, say WSL (Western Soccer League), the OSL (Ontario Soccer League), and the QMSL (Quebec Major Soccer League). Then the winner of each league (as well as the host city) would meet in a certain host city to play for the national championship.

Do you guys think it would work? It would minimize the travel.

10. DominicanStrikeForce

May 1, 2005
    Canada

I'm not saying we dont have good players at all. I'm saying that for some reason our national level consistantly faulters and I'm asking why, wheres the problem.

11. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By fluke I mean it was a fart in time, it won't happen again and if it does so what? Embarrassing... it depends what you mean by that, sure we played a good French side and did not loose by a high score but did we play good soccer?? :confused:

I was a young buck back in those days and was very involved in Canadian soccer until about 1994, I have seen some talent, lots of promise, but it all goes back to my original point... where is this sport in our culture, our hearts our philosophy.......nowhere!! So yes I will stick by my comment that 1986 was a fluke.