Di Canio Roman Salute's

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by fireman451, Dec 12, 2005.

1. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
  2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Lazio player accused of Fascist salute

Livorno's fan base is Communist. Di Canio is a reknowned Facist, and gave them the salute as he was subbed off. This is not what happens in all of Italy, Di Canio is basically known for this.

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

this was actually posted in the Italy News section but we need a thread here as the story wont go away...

I'm finished with Di Canio, he's become a sideshow and has no business starting when for 2 straight games Pandev comes into the match in that position and scores/setups 3 goals.

There is now way to defend Di Canio anymore, he doesnt understand his actions hurt people and cripple a club trying to recover from the worst rep in europe.

4. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  5. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In this link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051212...LQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--
    it is reported that the Lazio fans waved swastika flags and the Livorno fans waved hammer and sickle flags. Is this true? What's up with the nazi symbolism? I'm completely ignorant of all things Italian (except Juve), and Italian politics in particular. Can somebody explain this behavior? I know that most Euro clubs have their "ultras", but this is way too much.

6. RedskinUltraWFI

RedskinUltraWFI New Member

Sep 15, 2005

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RedskinUltraWFI

Sep 15, 2005

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, that's a bit more than I'm used to seeing . . . at my HS girls' matches and local and regional college games! :eek:)
    Those are, shall we say, VERY serious fans!

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In Italian football politics plays a big part. Many teams fans tend to be of the same mindset politically. Lazio fans tend to be right leaning, some might say fascist while Livorno fans are left leaning. This is true for many, many teams in Italy.

It all goes back many, many years where the different political groups rallied around a team, for numerous reason.

10. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dante, thank you for the info. In looking at Juve's site, I couldn't find anything about their history that dealt with this type of thing. Any info on the politics that are possibly involved with Juve followers?
    As a pretty dedicated Juve fan living in middle America, I pride myself on knowing quite a bit about the club, but this part of their history I know nothing about.

11. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

(I feel as if I'm posting to myself . . . )

OK, now this is the ticket: http://bianconeri.tripod.com/fans.html

This states that early Juve supporters tended to lean to the left politically, whereas today, the Drughis, Nucleos, 06 Clan, et al, tend to be stationed very securely on the right.

I'm so glad that I can still rely on myself to help me out! :D

13. RedskinUltraWFI

Sep 15, 2005

Juve's ultras have tended to be right-wing/nationalist but not in the same sense as Lazio's.

From what I can tell they are apolitical in the stadium. I heard that before the Drughi came back there was some infighting over the fact that the Fighters (the old group that ran the curva, http://bianconeri.tripod.com/bwfighters.html) was becoming too political.

I can't ever recall seeing/hearing about fascist or racist imagery or songs in La Curva Scirea.

14. RedskinUltraWFI

Sep 15, 2005

The Celtic crosses, swastikas, Roman salutes and ties to fascist parties and organizations is a dead giveaway. ;)

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

To be fair, the real party affiliations are mostly dead. What you have is about 5% of the support being vocal and overtly political, and most of those couldn't tell you what fascism is. They just know the trains used to run on time and that booing black players is fun. I make absolutely no defenses for them. They're morons, idiots and I'd ban them from the stadiums if I could. But, of course, nothing like that will happen until UEFA steps in the way it did in England. (Yes, I'm aware its easy for me to advocate that now since Lazio aren't in Europe anyway. But its true.)
    That being said, 95% of Lazio fans aren't fascist - they're just Lazio fans, and the Ultras are a sideshow. I support Lazio because I lived north of Rome for 3 months, and that was the "local" club. No one in the village I lived in supported Lazio because of fascism.
    ThDiCanio has to stop doing this. On one hand, he seems like a decent guy, but these sorts of symbols are completely inappropriate, even if I don't like Communism any more than I like fascism.

16. RedskinUltraWFI

Sep 15, 2005

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that party affiliations among football fans are mostly dead in Italy.

Many of Livorno's ultras (Brigate Autonome Livornesi) and other fans are members of the Partito della Rifondazione Comunista.

And a large number of Lazio's ultras are members of Alleanza Nazionale and regularly host members of C18 and other fascist/Nazi groups.

This isn't simply about symbols or gestures. He is one of them.
    [​IMG]

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

The Ultras are small part of the fan support. Most Lazio fans aren't fascist. They just happen to live in Lazio.

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

As long as your educating the ignorant masses, would anybody mind informing me on the political history for Fiorentina and Roma? Thanks.

19. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002

I find it hard to believe that most Lazio fans aren't fascist when more than half of Italians voted for neo-fascists last election. I have an inkling that the percentage of those people among Lazio fans is even higher.

[​IMG]

20. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Interesting note here in ch4's story:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/dec17a.html

towards the bottom it talks about www.lazio.net a strong supporter site which comes out against Di Canio...my favorite quote:

"He needs to remember that every time he wears the Biancocelesti jersey, he is representing all of us and not just a small section that is determined to spread hate and political mind-games."

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Ah, that's because they didn't. Berlusconi is in no way a neo-fascist, and surely you know the Italian political system better than to say that, right? I surely hope so.

22. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002

Berlusconi has said many things in the past that implied that his thoughts on fascism aren't as critical as they should be. I don't wanna list them all, but the one about concentration camps in Italy actually being holiday resorts is a pretty bad one. It still shocks me how normal it is in Italy for public figures, whether politicians or athletes, to express admiration for Mussolini. His granddaughter is in the parliament, for crying out loud. The fact that his progeny is even alive shows how lightly Italians take the period from 1922-1945.

All of this, of course, is related to the Lazio situation. It's become normal that a team in Serie A is shunned by black players(see Thuram). It's become normal that its fans hang swastikas at games. It's become normal that one of its players gives fascist salutes to fans. It's become normal that the owner of the team is cozy with the very ultras that are the reason for this reputation Lazio enjoy.

Either way, do you not think the relationship between lax attitudes towards fascism in society in general and in the world of football are related?

23. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A History Of Italian Ultras

Nearly ten years ago we had a quote as such:
    "Here in Italy the situation is becoming very hard. I am fed up with hearing insults from our rivals every Sunday and, as time goes by, the situation worsens"

Abedi Pele, footballer from Ghana, in April 1996.

Times have truly NOT changed. :mad:

A BigSoccer thread on Political leanings:
    Various Ultras Political Leanings

24. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

He did it again today...

[​IMG]

25. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Its amazing to think this is the same guy who won a fair play award...