Devo 2.0 'Played' at My Son's School

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by nancyb, Apr 13, 2006.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lip synched I guess a better word for it. I had advance knowledge of this project thanks to our favorite hipster, blogster www.extrawack.com. (Devo 2.0) I didn't know that they were appearing at the local elementary school until my son showed up with these Devo 2.0 stickers. When asked about the show, son responded:

"The only way I'd pay for that was if I was blind and deaf." Now, that's an endorsement.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure 20 years from now he'll be posting on Big Soccer how he saw Devo 2.0 before they became bigger than U2. Chicks will did the story in college.

3. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    [​IMG]
    a friend of mine, who is a drummer, saw them play at a school in the Milwaukee suburbs last week. He thought they rocked, and he's not easily impressed.
    Here's his account from his blog on Live Journal.

"While Keith and i watched the performance, silly-ass grins were plastered on our faces the entire time. The ages of the band members ranged from 11 to 14, and here they were playing "Girl U Want" with a video screen displaying a 50s-style advertising graphic of a girl pointing at a box of soap labeled "Girl U Want." As Keith pointed out, a song about sex accompanied by a graphic representing the commodification of the subject matter, being performed in a ********ing goddamn parochial grade school was probably the most subversive thing we've ever seen, at least since the last time we watched Starship Troopers."

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we were all over Devo 2.0 months ago.

I can't speak for any of their pseudo-performances but the recorded stuff is friggin' great. Shows what a good song + a good producer can do.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying you're hipper than extrawack?

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    That's not a hard thing to be... ;)

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You've raised him well.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a chance; ew's a righteous being. But all the talk among smarter-than-thou music critics on how D2.0 is somehow cool because it's "subversive"? That's all really about people trying to justify enjoying something they think they shouldn't.

In an age when t.a.t.u. can sell records based solely on their fake Lolita-esque lesbianism, there's nothing short of "Jocko Homo" that D2.0 could do to "shock" anybody. Devo are just not subversive in 2006. Hell, they were barely subversive in 1978.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I missed all that discussion.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think ExtraWack is well, wack yo.

Never been a fan.

I blame him for giving us free passes to London.

11. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    The only reason you are on this thread is because you thought it was about Il Divo...

Don't make me post photos of you at the London screening afterparty...