Developmental League to help Future US National Teams?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Edwin Thorne, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about the two MLS clubs, but several texas youth clubs are in the league.

2. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Part of the political scenario is playing out for the N. Texas area. I just saw the note in Gersman's article. Solar pulled out of the Academy league. I noticed the schedule posted for the Nike Friendlies on 12/6 and 12/9. Texans were originally sending the u16 per their website but that looks like it fell through. You could imagine the battle that is ongoing. A lot of if your not in here, you're out everywhere else. N Texas club teams have given the finger to a whole lot of these initiatives.

Topdrawersoccer:

"....Response to change predictably mixed
    Public and private response to the initiative thus far has covered a fairly wide range. Participation from leading clubs has been pretty impressive, with the notable exception of Texas, which doesn’t have a single representative in the program after Solar SC decided not to be involved. When the program was first announced it received a certain amount of demagoguery, particularly from some organizations, leagues and tournaments. USSF President Sunil Gulati says he hasn’t been particularly shocked at the reaction.

“In any set of changes, you have some that are very positive, some less positive and some that are just negative,” Gulati said. “We’ll be judged on these decisions as we go forward. We’re not trying to turn the world upside down, but we are certainly trying to turn it. We’re trying to get better, and make sure we’re including all elements of American soccer. But sure, there is some resistance to just about any change.”

3. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Well then what will the Academy do with the winter showcase being held in Frisco at the Pizza Hut Park? Many have already booked airfare, hotels, etc. It will be interesting if there won't be any Texas teams participating. Why are they pulling out?

4. ChiefTalk

ChiefTalk New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    There was only one team in in the first place, Solar. It sounds like the club leadership wanted to do it but the membership didn't want to give up the local stuff, Classic League, State Cup and all that.

The clubs have been listed for the Frisco event and there were never any Texas teams in there. Why it's in Frisco, I have no idea (other than that it's a good facility).

5. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Oh. Thanks. How about Dallas Texans? I always thought they were an outstanding club.

I think it's in Frisco because each showcase must be held in one of the four regions. The first one already was in SoCal. The second in TX, and I heard the third may be in Chicago? Would the fourth be held on the east coast or FL? Thanks.

6. cultureman

cultureman Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I believe the 4th showcase is in maryland.Some details yet to be worked out

7. Burn Fan

Burn Fan New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    DFW
    Sounds alot like PDL to me..

8. Burn Fan

Burn Fan New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    DFW
    The reserve league might not be a joke to the guys who got promoted to the big club. If not for the reserve team opportunity they would be off playing D-league or something....

9. ChiefTalk

ChiefTalk New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    I think it's certainly better than nothing. But I understand his point when you are talking about a young person deciding whether to sign with the pros or go to college. With just a 12-game league season it can start to look not much better than college experience (and there are no girls at the Reserve games).

If I was an MLS guru I'd save the Reserve League for kids out of high school or amateurs playing in men's leagues who want one last shot at a pro opportunity. It seems like the MLS teams, when they train, focus on the first 16 - and the other 12 guys or so kind of languish off to the side (unless they go 11v11 in training, in which case they'll have 6 off to the side languishing).

So it's a fair point about the Youth teams maybe not getting enough attention under the current setup. I read the plans for the guy from St. Louis and it seems he has a MUCH more forward way of thinking about professional involvement in youth development.

10. ChiefTalk

ChiefTalk New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Sure Texans are, but they never committed to being in the Academy. Solar did, but then they bailed.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My oldest nephew is on the IMG Academy U-15/16 team, coached by former MLSer Jim Rooney.

12. zhosereh

zhosereh New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Winter Showcase in Dallas.

Spring Showcase (Memorial weekend) TBA....

Summer Showcase in Denver.

There is nothing written or has been talked about that says the showcases must be in each region. It's more of a facility thing & where the event can be supported.

13. USDA

USDA New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I think ultimately when these kids are coached by players who have played pro, MLS, etc.., they will learn from a different perspective. While there some excellent coaches who never played pro they are somewhat limited because of experiences they didn't get from not playing pro. Former MLS players have connections and relationships with pro coaches and once again it's always who you know so I think players who play for these type teams will get a better oppourtunity to be seen.

Has there been any feedback from your nephew at IMG @ Jim Rooney as a coach?

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning to talk to him about the league when we visit Florida over Christmas.

Brian Maisonneuve is a coach down there too. In fact, he coaches my other two nephew's teams (one is nearly 11, and the other is 13). They're both too young for the developmental league though.

I'm hoping to see all three of them in US jerseys some day. ;)

15. zhosereh

zhosereh New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    mais isn't with img, he is with residency. & he coaches with the local youth teams

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. He coaches my 13 year old and soon to be 11 year old nephews.

Rooney coaches the one who will turn 15 in a couple of weeks.