Detroit Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by detroitexpress, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Nope. She's just letting the chain out a little bit.

I'm wanted for high crimes against humanity over there. You know, for things like name calling.

2. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Detroit meeting August 17th

MLS DETROIT SUPPORTERS' MEETING

When: Saturday, August 17th, 4:00pm.

Where: Coaches' Corner of Detroit Bar/Grill, 1455 Centre Street, Harmonie Park in Downtown Detroit.

Why: to further discuss efforts to bring an MLS franchise to Detroit and to watch the Soccer Saturday telecast of DC-San Jose.

Please try to attend. Matt (the owner) said that if a significant base shows up, he would consider showing soccer matches on a regular basis at the bar. Nice, big-screen tv in front of the bar. Its a lot closer (for some of us) than the Spectadium. Parking is $5-7 at various lots in Harmonie Park. If you want free parking, you have to meet me at Riverfront Apartments (right next door to the Joe on Jefferson) by 3:20pm that afternoon. You will need one dollar for the People Mover though. E-mail me privately if you are coming to Riverfront at:

polonskijr@hotmail.com

I am going out of my way to organize this guys, so please make arrangements now to attend. See you on the 17th.

Mike

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Mike will I be able to get into this place?

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Bucks Beat Des Moines!!!

The Bucks beat the homestanding Des Moines Menace tonight in the first round of the PDL playoffs. The Menace haven't lost a game all season. Here is the game summary:

MID MICHIGAN UPSETS DES MOINES IN PLAYOFFS
    Previously Undefeated Menace Falls, 3-1

The Des Moines Menace entered the Central Conference Finals as only the third team in Premier Development League (PDL) history to finish the regular season undefeated, but could not handle the potent attack of the Mid Michigan Bucks (12-5-2) on Friday night in Des Moines. The Bucks advanced the Conference Final with a 3-1 victory on the strength of two goals from Pat Noonan and outstanding play from goalkeeper Eric Pogue. "Almost everyone of our players played their best game of the season tonight," said Bucks general manager, Jim Duggan. "The guys showed a commitment to defending which, in turn, led to a lot of scoring chances - and we finished well. We beat a great team by working hard for each other."

Noonan opened the scoring at the 22nd minute with a bullet to the upper right corner past Menace keeper Michael Gabb. Only several outstanding saves by Pogue kept the score at 1-0 going into halftime. Mid Michigan came out hard in the second half, gaining a three-goal lead on a Noonan header (at the 66th minute) from a Stephan David corner kick and a strike from Ryan Mack (Noonan assisting) with 20 minutes remaining. Both teams continued to attack, with Des Moines (16-1-2) finally getting on the board courtesy of St. Nicholas Benjamin with 14 minutes remaining. Pogue finished with 11 saves and was named co-Man of the Match with Noonan. The Bucks face the Boulder Rapids (CO) Reserves in the Conference Final tonight (Saturday) in Iowa. Boulder defeated the Great Lakes Division Champions, the Chicago Fire Reserves, 3-1 in their semifinal match-up yesterday. The Central Conference Champions will face the Western Conference Champions next weekend at a site TBD.

Goals: BUCKS - Noonan (Snape), 22nd minute; BUCKS - Noonan (David), 66th min.; BUCKS - Mack (Noonan), 69th min.; MENACE - Benjamin, 76th min.
    Bucks' Line-up: Pogue, Presser, Swann, Heinemann, David, Rice (Djeukeng 82nd), Mack (Omekanda 88th min.), Khumalo (Turpin 85th), Scicluna, Snape (Kletzien 86th), Noonan.
    Menace Line-up:
    Gabb, Krupnik, Brazeau (Dombrowski 79th), Modherson, Valenti, Neto, Boltnar, Grau (Benjamin 60th), Ananda, Gibson (Nickel 55th), Riddle (Mark 53rd).

For more information on the Bucks, log onto:

http://mmbucks.com

5. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Mike I won't be able to make it, I looked at my schedule for soccer, and out first scrimmage is that day at 2 PM away at Jackson Baptist. Meaning our game won't be over till almost 4, and then the long hike back to Plymouth.

Sorry Mike.

6. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davids:

I understand. However, try to attend one of our monthly get-togethers after your season is over. You represent the suburban youth element of our movement and I would like to get your input.

Mike

7. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Thats a big 10-4 Mike.

8. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    You've just been fired as the "Youth Representative" for using that phrase.

[Mr. Burns]Clean out your desk. You're gone.[/Mr. Burns]

9. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Was there a soccer drive-by or something in Detroit? What are your thoughts on Detroit's mention as a possible sight, along with others. Do you think there is anything special in them, or did he just reel off a few names of the looong "expansion possibilities list"?

10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Its exciting, but we were somewhat expecting it. I'm pretty sure the 'interest' has come from the Duggan brothers, thats awesome.

It looks as though our main competition is with dare I say it Cleveland, San Antonio, and Tulsa! Not who I thought it would be.

11. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed part of the all-star game yesterday. Did Garber mention Detroit as a possible expansion city?

12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we ALL missed part of the ASG yesterday (storms and signal fadeout from the stadium).

Detroit got a mention in Garber's State of the League address: http://www.mlsnet.com/special/as02/as0802sotl.html

Garber:

"Fans and Stadiums are key to our next subject - - Expansion

We need to expand our footprint - and we will - but it must be at the right time under the right circumstances. As I’ve stated before, we will expand when we have the right market, with solid local ownership and an appropriate facility, and not before.

We continue to seek investors willing to commit to the sport for the long-term, along with a public or private vision for a soccer-specific stadium.

This weekend, we have a contingent of interested investors joining us from Tulsa, Oklahoma and Cleveland, Ohio. In the past months, we have visited several new potential new MLS markets, including Toronto, Detroit, and San Antonio. We will not be expanding the League in 2003. We are hopeful to expand in 2004, though we have no specific dates in place."

13. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    It's a step. It's progress. Mr. Garber is now mentioning Detroit by name. Up until this year we haven't been able to say that.

14. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Off all the places mentioned, Detroit is the strongest market hands down.

15. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is excellent news for our movement. It will be the main topic of discussion on the 17th at Coaches Corner.

16. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    i'm getting a car on friday. it's a tracker though so it only fits 2, maybe 4 if you want to be uncomfortable.

so far I owe Lovefifa and Polonski a ride, but not sure how many i can fit into the tracker. Mike if you or your girlfriend want to be uncomfortable i can drive to any of the remeaining crew home dates. If they make the playoffs I can drive at least one of you. It really depends on how comfortable you want to be.

LoveFifa, you want to join a league or what?

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Is this a Chevy Tracker or a Geo Tracker?

Do you have the cool convertible top???

:)

18. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Do I have to fire you twice in two weeks as the "youth representative"?

Cool convertible and Geo Tracker do not belong in the same sentence.

19. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Oh I forgot my sarcasm tags...

20. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    hey LoveFIfa:

************ you

21. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Real men drive Jeeps, not trackers.

22. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    And the even realer men drive 1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eights... :)

23. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    Big back seat. You're starting to step in the right direction.

Say you hate Carson Daly and you could be my new best friend, sans the Fire fandom.

And Ted. Piss off.

24. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I wish Carson Daly would die, I'd rather watch infomercials then watch his stupid "Last Call with Carson Daly" show.

25. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    So this thread hasn't had a post in a while.

I thought I'd chime in with a summary of Plymouth Christian Academy's first practice, which took place last night.

We actually ran in the morning with the cross country team, we had a choice of doing a 3 or 4 mile run. I did 3 seeing as how I'm a goalie, and why should I do 4? My coaches were impressed with my 3-mile time, I wasn't so much as I've done it faster than the 21:30 I did it in yesterday. I was saving myself for practice last night, cause I knew I'd be tired.

So then practice comes along, did I mention we only have 4 Seniors on this year's team? A big change from last year when we had I think 11 or 12 on the team. We had some past alum's working with us. Our goalie that graduated in 2001, who is now playing for Calvin College, and two of the seniors the graduated last year, one who is the coaches son, and the other a midfielder whos going to be walking on at Kalamazoo this fall. We also had two guys that play in the Over-30 leagues in Detroit. This intrigued me because I thought I heard some of you say you also played in a league like that.

Anyways, first practice was running running running and more running. We touched the ball maybe the last 20 minutes of our 2 1/2 hour practice. I didn't even get any shots on in goal. I think I"m going to get some shots today, I hope so.

So if you guys get a chance sometime this season come watch PCA's varsity team. We claim to be one of the best Division 4 teams in the State, will we be this year?