Detroit City FC

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by stos313, Feb 1, 2012.

1. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Home Field: Cass Tech

Friendlies are never announced with the rest of the schedule (this is true with any team). I'm sure those will be announced when they put them together. I wonder what kind of clubs they will try to get, whether it's a friendly with the cross-town Bucks or an international U-23 squad. But, I'm sure they're trying to get the best games possible for the team.

2. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard an interview about DCFC on WJR yesterday.... thats good exposure...

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporters Group: Bucks and DetCityFC

Just wondering how this supporters group thing is coming along. I would like to have some sort of supporters group for Detroit soccer, whose main goal is to attend matches, at all levels (elite high school, college, Bucks/DetCityFC), for both genders in HS and Col.

Talked to Bucks owner Dan D today (he missed last week's college games because he was with the U-23 team; he would have been there today if the 23's advanced) about a supporters group for the Bucks. (I didn't see much happen with MCS last season.) Dan referred me to one of his staff members; we talked, with him saying that a fan group will be a task for the interns.

I had been running camera for the Bucks for a few seasons; they went to their own guy running webcasts, so now that time is freed for me.

If this is something that can happen through the MCS or AO-Detroit (their web site has nothing on it, though), then we could go that route. If not, this may be something that I would have to start up.

5. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Supporters Group: Bucks and DetCityFC

So one of the owners works for Dan Gilbert. Is he a investor?

6. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I like how they're playing up the City's French heritage with the team (Le Rouge). We see the French names for roads and such all the time and don't really think about it.

7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field at Cass Tech was just re-sodded. Think it will be ready in a month? Ironic that we had the most mild winter ever; could have done this before winter started. http://detcityfc.com/le-rouge-and-cass-tech-kick-off-partnership-with-weekend-of-upgrades/

150 TONS of sand? What are going to have there, a monster truck rally? ("It's MON-STER TRUCKS! At CASS TECH, Tech, tech, tech, ...")

Well, anyways, there are some who think that the 500 pounds of fertilizer describes me better....

8. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When are we getting our tickets I have paid and not seen anything yet no tickets no shirts no scarf nada !! WTF when are you sending this out?

9. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, you guys need to woosah for a minute. Founders Circle members got an email yesterday about our jersey customizations and it said that tickets will start going out next week or they can be picked up at some team events that will be held in the area before the first match on May 12th. They have been very open on communication the whole time, and those of us who are Founders Circle members (myself included, even though I live in DC) have been spreading that info to you guys.

You have questions? Just email the team. Anytime I've had a question, I just email them or send them a message on Twitter and most times, I get a response from the president of the club himself. It doesn't help to whomp whomp about it here on BS...just contact the club and they'll let you know.

Oh, and the online store is supposed to be open by the first match.

10. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have to remember that this is a new club. They're not just getting ready for any season, this is their first, which means a lot of extra start-up challenges, like securing a stadium (which they've done - and improved, to boot), drawing up fans from as many demographics as possible (because they're starting from 0), and getting sponsors to buy in. I applaud them for the work they've put into it.

11. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i bought a season ticket online to specifically get a scarf.... will they mail the ticket and scarves? or do we need to go pick it up... we are trying to get a group from Lansing to head over sometime in june... so i wants to have me stuff!!!

12. Potomac02

Potomac02 Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket holders, to my knowledge, are getting season ticket cards instead of paper tickets. You just show the card to get into every game.

14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year will see the debut of AFC Cleveland and Detroit City FC. They’ll join longtime NPSL side the Erie Admirals, fellow newcomer Greater Binghamton FC, and still novel FC Buffalo. Nine hours of travel separate the two farthest teams making this conference a close-knit, serious regional affair. The newest clubs, AFCC and DCFC, have some savvy supporters. The Northern Guard Supporters/Le Rouge Supporters have created a serious stir in Detroit. Not only have these supporters made it a point to foster close ties within the community, they’ve demonstrated that they have a serious sense of style. DCFC’s supporters will be decked out in some slick scarves and shirts, and the DCFC squad will look less like a fledgling amateur side and more like a seasoned pro side with its kit.
    Detroit has raised the bar for semi-pro soccer in the region. AFC Cleveland and FC Buffalo have stepped up to the challenge. Not to be outdone, AFC Cleveland (newly nicknamed “Royals”) has built a team store that is well worth a perusal and their supporter group, the 6th City Syndicate, has been digging in its heels American-Outlaw-style and creating chants, songs, and its own swag. Buffalo’s supporters, The Situation Room, finally have a team that they can have fun with whereas before they were a lonely footy group having to hone their craft against the remarkably un-tech savvy Erie (the team can’t seem to craft a website to save their lives, have virtually no Twitter or Facebook presence, and seem to make it a point to make it as difficult as possible to actually get to know anything about the team).
    These three supporter groups have been trash talking each other for a few weeks now via Twitter and Facebook, which is truly amazing considering that AFCC and DCFC haven’t yet filled their rosters. Buffalo, Cleveland, and Detroit—these are working class cities, each with a deep immigrant history, cities that have seen better days financially and culturally. These cities are the very definition of hardnosed labor, and as such they love their sports. Cleveland continues to believe in the NFL Browns even though they will never succeed, Buffalo has given its heart to its NHL Sabers and much like Browns fans think their own NFL Bills will one day win something, Detroit with its Pistons, Lions, and Tigers keep faith through their attachment to each team’s deep history in their respective league. These are cities that persist.
    They even persist when it comes to soccer. Once a city gets a taste of soccer, they want it. Even though teams have come and gone from each city due to financial concerns, each city has rebounded and built back up. The current incarnation could very well be lasting. These supporters, these regional, historical and cultural rivals have decided they need a cup. So these supporters have created The Rust Belt Derby going into their inaugural season together. They have taken it upon themselves to make their conference play something more than mere points on a league table. Created and sponsored by supporters, it can’t get much better. This is how the Cascadia Cup started out and we can see what it has bloomed into—huge crowds of boisterous fans in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver that are arguably pushing MLS into respectability and profitability. This bodes well for the Rust Belt teams as they look to slowly but surely pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and play their game the way they want.

16. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I still have not received my scarf or tickets what gives?

17. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game times have been announced, and I put them into my calendar (see my signature line): 4 May 2012; http://detcityfc.com/game-times-announced/

Not listed on that news article are the two friendlies: July 7 at 1:00, and July 18 at 7:00. These were on the schedule cards distributed at the Fort Wayne scrimmage today (cards were available in both English and Espanol).

I received my scarf and season pass at the scrimmage. They did mention that the jerseys for Founders members were not ready today.

A bit more explanation on the "Rust Belt Derby" that msilverstein47 mentions above, from the Buffalo site (with a logo and everything): http://www.fcbuffalo.org/uncategorized/announcing-rust-belt-derby/

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info! Who are the opponents for the two friendlies?

19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The opponents for the friendlies were not listed. I didn't even know until a couple days ago, that yesterday's friendly actually had an opponent. (I was guessing that it would be an intra-squad, or against a team of fans. Or even copy the idea of having an 11-v-100 game, against kids.)

A couple of other points about the sched: as I said before, May 26 has both the Bucks and City playing afternoon home matches. It is the only case I see for the reguar season, but it may also happen for any playoff games (conference F, NPSL SF, or NPSL F). (The Buffalo schedule lists the divisional playoffs at Erie, PA. http://www.fcbuffalo.org/2012-schedule/ )

And those friendlies are oddly-scheduled. The first occurs after their regular season (the other teams in their divison would be playing that weekend), and the second occurs after the divisional play-downs.

20. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool if one of the friendlies were against the Bucks, as a nice cross-town meeting of teams.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be a friendly snowball fight in hell before that happens.

22. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reason why? Any bad blood between Duggan and the DCFC group that I don't know about?

23. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DCFC is different then the bucks I assume. Bucks are in for the money and DCFC are not plus Duggan is a jerk just saying.

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they are competitors for the limited market for minor-league soccer in the area, and I doubt that Dan sees a reason to help DCFC establish themselves any more than he did for the Detroit Arsenal or any of the other NPSL upstarts.

I would imagine that the feeling is mutual, judging from a couple of lines in the essay that msilverstein47 posted above (which I gather was written by DCFC): "Detroit has raised the bar for semi-pro soccer in the region...Even though teams have come and gone from each city due to financial concerns, each city has rebounded and built back up. The current incarnation could very well be lasting....." Neither is true unless you ignore the Bucks' existence.
    The Bucks are not in it for the money, that's just ignorant. They don't do much better than breaking even in their best financial years. Dan does it because he loves it, and will likely never recover all of the money he's put into the Bucks over the years.