Despair and Drek!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by kravi, Nov 29, 2004.

1. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    So this Saturday it hit me. I was listlessly wandering around the house, holding an empty glass in my right hand. Periodically I was jump up and down and scream, though the only response I got was the silence of the walls.

What do I do? What can keep me fulfilled during the winter? TV doesn't interest me, and my favourite books have suddenly become tawdry.

I am being plagued by despair. When I look around the colours are a little more bland, the sounds less clear. I'm afraid of the next several months, for they have no purpose.

--kravi

We should, I think, demand that MLS extend the season to 10 months, like the rest of the world.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I just go to the Metro board and read about all their MASSIVE cup collection.

Sachin

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm with ya bro. So I plunked in a tape of the NE playoff game and poured myself a nice frosty Fosters. :)

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Last fall is the cruelest time of the year for DCU fans. Not even an Inter-American Cup to win these days.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It's 8 moths long for the winners! :)

It hit me last week, one week after the Cup. So I watched the final again.

Thx,

Jay!

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I needed the break--I've got finals coming up.

7. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm lookin' forward to forthcoming happy hours and continued interaction with me homies. I can also hear better these days! :)

GM

8. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way - life is a long, bleak stretch of emptiness until the spring... So I decided to catchup on the things I've always meant to do around the area and went to Gettysburg over the weekend and explored the battlefield. Next weekend is the Phillips collection.

We're lucky to be Dc fans in DC, capitol of the world! Can you imagine the depths of despair in KC right now?
    1. Lost the game
    2. MUCH colder and nastier winter
    3. What to do... go to St Louis or Branson? Maybe the bull-gelding museum?

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pick some second- and third- and fourth-loves to root for, in leagues that are currently running?

10. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Personally, I've enjoyed watching the Redskins lately. Sadly I do like the team, but I enjoy watching them to see what new way they'll find to fvck it all up each week. I have always loved the Three Stooges, Twenty-two Stooges is just sublime.

That's all I see, a bunch of guys running around going "Woob woobwoobwoobwoobwoob..."

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    :D

12. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kravi, we need to find you a life man! I agree with voodoodiver, go out and explore the world for a few months, I know you are from the area so been there done that, but stuff changes around here.

I for one have taken to a little exploring myself, I recently discovered that there is life outside the reach of Metro Rail. Thus far I have been to VA Beach, trying to get to Annapolis and maybe Baltimore (gotta see how your Marylanders live), and then off to California to hopefully get some sun for the holidays.

I know I will spend much of the next few months reading up on Civil War history, check out some of the battlegrounds in the area, and check out some of the Smithsonian museums that I have neglected since I moved here. And I hear there is a really good music scene here in DC.

13. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    You all are right, of course. But everything seems sort of faded and distant. Maryland football isn't so hot these days, and I can't stand professional football any more. When an hour long game takes three and a half hours to show because of advertisments, I get fed up. :mad:

The only thing to do is plan my next vacation. I think I'll take a long weekend in the Florida Keys :) Warmth, sun, etc.

As for watching other soccer teams, my only other love is Hapoel Tel Aviv, and I can't catch their games here in the States. And reading about the results without seeing the games is like waking up next to a woman and not remembering what you did with her. :p

--kravi

14. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Also, I find College Basketball is a great alternative.

15. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Amen. The offseason is why you TiVo and tape games throughout the year.

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Watch this year's Cup game over and over again, then the 1996 and 1999 DC highlight tapes, and top it off by purchasing the Away jersey from 1996 (that jersey is so is friggin awesome!).

17. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    haha i have found my mid off season cure....tattoos..more to follow... :D

18. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VooDoo, after doing Gettysburg, how about Antietam, the Fifteenth Annual Antietam National Battlefield Memorial Illumination is next Saturday evening December 4, 2004.

(I just got this in an e-mail) Antietam National Battlefield, in cooperation with the American Business Women's Association, will host the Fifteenth Annual Antietam National Battlefield Memorial Illumination in honor of those soldiers who fell during the Battle of Antietam. In the event of poor weather, the Illumination will be rescheduled for Saturday, December 11, 2004. The Illumination opens to the public at 6:00 p.m.

http://www.nps.gov/anti/Luminary.htm

On Thanksgiving I poped the MLS Cup 2004 tape in the VCR and we watched that game while waiting for the turkey to cook ... I also spend the time watching the NCAA soccer ... we only have to wait a few months until the CONCACAF Champions Cup gets under way.

19. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so true, before the *shot heard round the world* trying to keep up with soccer was down right impossible and I used to enjoy NFL games. Now they seem like long infomercials. I only watched a couple of NFL games so far and I do not expect that to change over the course of the winter. There are all those Law and Order reruns to watch :)

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    The local NBA franchise is actually pretty watchable this year.

21. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    Unfortunately it take longer to get to the thread that it takes to read about it.

Hell, it does kill 1 second of the day...just have remember not to blink or I may have to start all over.

22. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Going with what Sanguine said, basketball season is here, and the Wizards don't suck yet (which is good since the Pacers are screwed). Now I get to catch up on Cartoon Network in between EPL games. :D

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand; but that can change, if you let it. I wasn't born caring about Barca, indeed have no particular reason to . . .except I shared an office for a while with one Catalonian while collaborating on research with another Catalonian. Talking about soccer was our common ground, they were passionate about Barcelona, I hung out with them to watch matches, and suddenly there it is.

And even if you don't love a team in a match, the match might still be interesting or entertaining. If the level of soccer is sufficiently high, or the drama behind the match is sufficiently interesting, I'll watch anybody.

(unfortunately, neither were true of the Atalante-Toluca MFL match I saw this weekend. man, that sucked.)