Derek Riordan

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by slidingtackleCOM, Jul 4, 2005.

1. slidingtackleCOM

slidingtackleCOM New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Do you think he should stay at Hibs? He has been TOLD by Mowbray to sign a new contract, however he states that he is dissapointed at the lack of loyalty shown by his beloved Hibs. I think he should stay at Hibs until he is the finished article, he has still got some way to go. It worries me that he might end up as another promising Scot cast off on to the Old Firm scrapheap at the expense of the national game.

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I obviously would like to see him stay, but he has to sign. That being said, I'd much rather see him go to England, even the Championship, than the OF.

3. Soccer Ross

Soccer Ross New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Great Britain
    He was impressive last season but lets not go overboard about him, hes not proved anything yet.

If he continues along these lines then he could be a good striker but hes not worth the hype based on 1 quality season.

As a Rangers fan Id be reluctant to see him signed at this stage.

4. baltobhoy

baltobhoy New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Baltimore
    obviously more time is needed to judge Riordan. but i'd like to see him stay because i think he has shown quality, and Scottish football needs to keep quality in Scotland, and attract it from without.

5. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Balto is correct, more time is definantly needed. As far as him staying at Hibs this would be the best for him. Moveing to the Old Firm would be career suicide at this point ( See Stephen Pearson). Can anyone tell me the deal they are offering Riordan? If I was Riordan I would stay away from anything over 2+ years.

6. Soccer Ross

Soccer Ross New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Great Britain
    I think his best move would be to the Championship or possibly a top Div 1 side in England.

Lee McCulloch made a similar move after he was hyped as a youngster with Motherwell, next season he'll be a Premiership player with Wigan. He made the right move and took it slowly rather than jumping too far too fast, as some other players have done (eg Kenny Miller with Rangers).

7. menace2society

menace2society New Member

May 19, 2005
    Riordan is phenomenal, his ability is up there with anyone in scotland, i think he should have got player of the year, he put hibs in europe, and he scores goals that marco van basten would be proud of, why did he not play for scotland, i will tell you why, because he isn't a weegie bastard, as soon as he signs for rangers or tic he will be a regular for scotland, and by the way i'm a hearts fan, riordan has 2 great feet, he is lightning fast, he has vision, and he has composure, what more do you want from a player, come on walter give this kid a start NOW!

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    More hilarious crap spouted by you. :rolleyes:

He is a good player, but he went off the boil at the end of last season and still needs a few seasons to settle down into his style of playing. He is physically weak and still inexperienced, which is why he hasn't been used in the NT, although he has been involved. He should stay at Hibs for at least another year in order to continue his development. We can assess how he is progressing at that point. Let's not over-hype the kid.

9. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    He's talented but far from a great all round player. Another couple of seasons at Hibs would do him good IMO.

10. andybaker77

andybaker77 New Member

May 29, 2005
    glasgow
    he is a bit of a late developer actually, at 22 he should be just about first pick for most teams in scotland, but i would imagine that garry o' connor would be the first on most managers wishlist, not riordan, he scores classy goals but his all round performance is dwarfed by o'connors desire.
    i think he'd be daft to go anywhere, especially with mowbray looking after him he can only get better as a player, if i knew him i'd tell him to do another two years under mowbray and he could probably just about pick where he wanted to go.

11. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox

STOP THE FECKIN PRESS! This Bear is in complete agreement with the Bhoy!

--------------

[​IMG]

12. andybaker77

andybaker77 New Member

May 29, 2005
    glasgow

13. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    [​IMG]

We can agree that Rangers are the Champions! Fail Fail :p

Benedictine Loyal

--------------

[​IMG]

14. LesO'lafatselik

LesO'lafatselik New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    I agree with those saying he should stay at Hibs for another couple of seasons. If he moved to the OF or the Premiership, he'd be unlikely to get regular first team football and that is what every young player needs to develop. With Hibs qualifying for Europe this season, he'll also get to experience that this year (and I suspect next year too).