Denver still on list of cities for 2018/2022 WC bid

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by murphyskicks, Aug 20, 2009.

1. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invesco is a good venue for a large soccer match and this is the World Cup. It would sell out easily. I'm also sure the capacity of the airport, easy connections to the rest of the country and number of international flights helps. The City also proved they can handle large events with the DNC last summer. I'm sure a lot more goes into the decision than the attendance at meaningless National Team friendlies.

3. sostoked

sostoked Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small attendance? The attendance figures for the Rapids has been fantastic for 4th of July games. Just imagine trading fireworks for jets flying over (surely Air Force would make an appearance). And that's just for the Rapids. People tend to come out of the woodwork for World Cup games. I went to see Saudi Arabia vs. Belgium (I think) at RFK and I'm pretty sure it was sold out charging something like $80/ticket. But people will travel all over the world to see the World Cup, so foreigners alone would fill up half of invesco. Then you have immigrants who are on family reunions (see US vs. Honduras) and people who would go just because it's the world cup. Remember what it was like when the Rockies went to the World Series. Interest was super high for the championships. Expect to see the same if it came to Denver. Trust.

4. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It was a WC qualifier. Guatamala needed a win to advance to the hex.

But you are right that more goes into it than attendance and that is why we are still in the mix. Obviously, we are all hoping #1 to win the bid as a nation to host, and then #2 for Denver to be one of the chosen cities. Even if Denver isn't chosen, I would travel anywhere in the country just to be in the thick of things... if I have tickets to a game it would just be that much better.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it was meaningless for the U.S. side and most of the fans.

But the real problem wasn't how much the game meant, it was the ticket pricing. You could see that at the stadium as the ends (cheap seats) were packed while the midfield sections weren't. When you look at the pricing for the other WCQ's last year you can see that the game here in Denver was priced higher than the others for a game that meant less than the others. IMO how USSF did its pricing was that they've set a dollar amount for how much they want to make for any WCQ game and then they set the prices based on the number of seats in the stadium hopsting a given WCQ to reach that number. For example Chicago's prices were lower than ours, but their stadium has 2K more seats.

6. bestkeeper_14

bestkeeper_14 New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Denver
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well my coach informed me that FIFA called our school in regards to using my teams field as a training pitch. So that is another thing they looked at. I mean there are 4 college soccer teams around Denver, as well as Dicks sporting gods park. I think Denver would be a great fit for a group to play here during the cup!

7. Taylor FC

Taylor FC New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Commerce City, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think that the US Bid Committe would look at geography when deciding. Of the remaining cities, the closest ones to here are Kansas City (9 hours away) and Phoenix (13 hours). I don't think FIFA would want a 5 state gap between venues (like St. Louis to L.A.)

8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I'm pretty sure the 2018 bid is just for 'practice' as it is very unlikely that one will be anywhere in the western hemisphere after Brazil in 2014, Europe or Asia would be 'due' with my guess being a pair of smaller European Countries in a joint bid, maybe eastern Europe where 'skid grease' is easier to procure and apply? Remember it also has to be a country that the committee members want to go to a WC in ... so maybe scratch off some of eastern Europe? ;>)

As for the real bid for 2022 I think we should be in great shape, with a progression of Africa (2010), South America (2014), and (probably) Europe (2018); North America should rachet up next to Asia and our main competition would be Canada and Mexico ... I think we can win that on facilities alone (why I didn't even include Central America btw) and most/all the other factors also tilt our way. If Asia gets 2018 though then all bets are off as Europe (where the decisions are made) will be Jonesing for the glamour and money that go with a WC.

9. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If you look at it from a rotation perspective... you have

2014 - Brazil (S America)
    2010 - S Africa (Africa)
    2006 - Germany (Europe)
    2002 - S Korea/Japan (Asia)
    1998 - France (Europe)
    1994 - US (N America)
    1990 - Italy (Europe)
    1986 - Mexico (N America)
    1982 - Spain (Europe)
    1978 - Argentina (S America)

The 12 years between Germany and 2018 is the longest Europe will have gone without hosting, so 2018 is a good bet to have it in Europe.
    If that is the case - the only applicants have been England, Russia, Netherlands-Belgium combined, and Portugal-Spain combined.

If FIFA is into taking turns, it would definitely be N America's in 2022 (at that time it would have been 28 years between WC in N America). Australia woudl have a shot, but they just moved into the Asian federation. US and Mexico have both put in bids and you have to think the US has the leg up.

I would love to see them start a 5 continent rotation beginning with next summer in Africa, followed by S America, Europe, N America, then Asia.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've decided to ward the 2018 and 2022 World Cups at the same time (one last cash grab for the aging group running FIFA), so while we are talking about a 2018 bid its the same bid that will be presented for 2022.

11. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG... ill be 37 in 2022. hopefully ill have a good job by then! hahh

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Not completely off topic but somewhat I suppose and not worth its own thread (as any WC match in Denver would be at Invesco). But anyway do these ticket prices for similarly sized Rio Tinto compare to what they charged for the qualifier at DSGP? IIRC it didn't sell out but then the hex is different than the preliminary (middle actually I think) round and early September weather is not the same as late October at altitude.

" Ticket Prices (a facility fee of $3.00 per ticket will be added at time of purchase):
    $ 300.00 Center Circle (includes full buffet served in One Hundred Lions Club)
    $ 225.00 Club Patio (includes full buffet served in Stadium Club
    $ 125.00
    VIP Midfield
    $ 115.00 Front Row
    $ 85.00 Midfield
    $ 62.00 Sideline
    $ 48.00 Corner
    $ 38.00 Endline"

http://www.ussoccer.com/Schedule-Tickets/2009/090905-US-Men-vs-El-Salvador.aspx

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    And I thought inflation was in check due to the recession, those are up about $8 -$10 for comparable seats. I'm assuming you left off the 'convenience' fees at DSGP that the cut-n-paste mentions for Rio Tinto or else that would be $11-$13 more. With the gravity of this match SalT LakE better sell it out to SRO as I believe DSGP would have. If they don't they really need to look at their pricing and get things adjusted to fill stadiums with support, some even backing the US.

15. alf001

alf001 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2018 = London

Welcome to the Emirates and Wembley :)

16. problem child

problem child New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    this is good.....as long as the rapids organization has nothing to do with this campaign.

17. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Actually, I think KSE could possibly dump 2 or $3 mill into the Denver bid. I believe he will do that way before he invests another $10.00 in the Rapids.