Denny, Westberg in the US- US vs. Mexico U20s (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 21, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Think this is still appropriate for this forum, given few of us have seen Denny in action. I guess the mods will decide.

I went to the match in Ft. Lauderdale tonight. Some notes:

YAs:

Denny seems like a solid player to me, but nothing (his skills) stood out. Runs kindof hunched over, with neck stuck out. Is not a small guy- a shade taller then Szetela, but less stocky.

I can see Denny being a solid Coca-Cola player in time....but it is hazy after that for me. He will have to up his game in several ways to make it to Premiership caliber IMO.

Westberg,the goalie looked OK- poor distribution IMO, but is good with 'the stretch'.

Potential YAs/trained overseas:

Szetela, as usual, is the one Yank that really stood out. He has terrific ball sense, and does so many things like a seasoned pro.....I have little doubt he'll be in Premiership within 3-5 years (latest). Sigi wasted him on the right for most the game (Denny was in the middle), but Szetela is a better player, and a better player for the middle then Denny IMO.

Adu has great skill with ball at feet, and had some unique touches. He is and looks scary with space and running at guys. However, Freddy still is way too reliant on the ball coming to him, and right at his feet. He's got a ways to go to become an all around player, and expanding the box he plays with. He will get there, IMO.....it will be best for him to go to a Chelsea or top club at 17/18 and get bitched at for (lack of off-ball) effort.

Having said, you can see Freddy get frustrated when teammates don't think as quick as him, or read his sublime touches. However, if you aren't putting out the defensive work effort, you lose 'goodwill' in those situations.

Other kids:

Unfortunately, no other Yanks really stood out for me. Michael Bradley did probably the worst from my perspective. Freddy put him thru once for a clear 1v1, but Bradley botched it.

Actually, some of the young Yank defenders (back line) looked poor at first, but looked more and more composed as the game went on.

I could see Will John (who played forward) become the next Yank forward to be converted to defender by some foreign club. I was impressed with his defensive instincts, and think he can go further there (then forward).

(Edit: Apparently, one of the kids in the US backline was only 16 (Ofoi sp?). If that was him, then he played pretty impressively for such a young age.

Recap:

But at the end.....Szetela, and Adu (in his own Freddy way) stood out. Denny workmanlike, but not shining...

BTW- US won 2-1 on a late Adu PK. Mexico looked the better team in 1st half, but lost composure in 2nd, culminating in ridiculous appeals/red cards on a pretty clear penalty. Mexico U-20s are just as good at cheap fouls as their Mexican Men's National team breathern. Pretty sad for Mexico (they do have some talented players), but US should be happy with their overall composure (although, as a team, they have quite a bit of work to do. It should start with Sigi putting Freddy out wide (duh) and Danny S. in the middle (double duh)

2. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    That seems strange. He has a rep for great distribution.
    Were guys showing for him?

Some of your other comments are at odds with:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/1101087931/

"Schmid also credited Stoke City midfielder Jay Denny with playing a solid match in central midfield.
    "
    Anyway different viewpoints appreciated since I can't see anything from the middle of the Pacific.

3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    In the defense, Besagno, Sarkodie are both 16 and sub defender Borja is also 16. Rogers is 18 and Sturgis is 17.

If you consider 19 is the right age for the U-20 (the game will held next year), then most of US players are playing up (19 and 18 as right age groups)

19 --Alvarez

18--Rogers, Gonzales, Denny

-------- Everyone below can play for 2007 WYC

17--Sturgis, Bradley, Szetela

16--Besagno, Borja, Sarkodie, Soroka, Zimmerman(just turns 16 today)

15--Adu

No info for Will John.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Go look at Lloyd Heilbrunn's comments on Youth National Team....was at the same game....we agree on the big points almost in entirety...

In the keeper distribution category, I watched 1/2 of the Brazil-Honduras game before, and the starting Brazilian keeper was excellent at distribution. Pinpoint in fact. Gave a good basis for comparison (it is scary for the rest of the world if Brazil finally has a keeper)...However, Adu is still too small, doesn't come to the ball....so often Westberg was just kicking in direction John- that is true. However, even so, his kicks were just off (it seemed to me)..

Like I said, Denny was workmanlike, but did not particularly shine. The entire team (including Denny) played a better 2nd half..more composed. I think Sigi is more than pleased with the win (given the understaffing) and Denny is new to the team, so I think Sigi is just being a positive guy. Nothing wrong with that. I was looking, though, expecting Denny to standout (talentwise) given his years at Stoke, but I didn't really see it this game.

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Will John is 19, I believe.

Then Sarkodie was impressive (if 16)....he settled down nicely.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to Memo? He's not even a sub now!!

Is it the story of a small, unathletic, highly skilled player not being able to compete with men?

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he didn't exactly shine competing against boys at the Under 17 World Championship.

But I think it is still too early to make a final judgment.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You never want to write anyone off, but Memo's lack of playing time with the Galaxy does not engender optimism about his future prospects.

9. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
    The TDS article does say Memo drew the PK that Adu converted.

"The dramatic finish came after LA Galaxy midfielder Memo Gonzalez had drawn a foul in the area, beating a defender and then being pushed down from behind."

on second thought perhaps it wasn't deserved?

'Adu agreed with the late penalty award but admitted he was somewhat surprised that it was actually given. "Memo did get fouled. He's knows how to get by people and he beat the guy, and the guy pulled him and gave him a little kick," Adu said. "They were getting away with it the whole game and probably thought 'why not?'"'

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I believe it was Szeleta who made a great dummy (it was either Danny or Freddy)....basically letting the ball run by him as they were at the top of the box, and the ball was being cut across (direction corner flag). 2 defenders bought the dummy, and it created a great lane. Memo was either there, or moved into the space to meet the ball (he was not offside). That put him behind the defense, 1v1 with keeper at an angle. The defender had no choice to bundle him (or let him go solo on goal).

Memo deserves credit for being there, and not prematurely shooting....but the dummy was more the trick in this scene IMO. It was brilliant and heady- 1st class stuff.

Maybe someone who was there can clarify (was it Danny or Freddy?). Normally, one wouldn't get them mixed up, but everything was so bang-bang towards the end, including the Mexican player accosting the ref (screaming "******** this, ******** that) and cops running on the field (4 of them to separate refs/Mexican team)...