Dennis Rodman Meets Dad Philander for First Time in 50 Years

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jul 19, 2012.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ironic name, isn't it?

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I know. It was too rich to pass up.

Pops was groovin' during the Pinatubo eruption too according to his memoir:

Here's how Philander Rodman begins the 29th chapter of his unpublished memoir: "The devastating eruption of Mt. Pinatubo on June 15, 1991 didn't stop the girls from giving it up."

[​IMG]
    One of Philander's many self-published books
    Photograph by Matt Elkind for Slate.​

If I came here to find out what it's like to live in the shadow of a volcano, then Philander's manuscript, laid out in bold all-caps across several hundred pages in an outdated version of Microsoft Word, gives a certain kind of answer.

His wife Celsa was nine months pregnant that summer, and his other wife, Paz, was caring for the kids. Or at least her share of the kids. At 4 a.m. on the day of the eruption, Philander was out on his first date with Helen. She had hair down to her butt, he writes, and the kind of waist that made her ass look bigger than it really was. "This one night, my love came down on me."

As the volcano started to burble and spew, Philander and Helen made love. Then they took a shower and made love again, and after lying around for a bit, they made love one more time. At daybreak, he handed her a wad of bills, and when she wouldn't accept it, they had an argument. Philander reminded her that he "never takes free pussy."

Then he stepped outside, leaving Helen naked on the hotel bed, and found himself staring up at a mushroom cloud. Rocks and sand were turning in the air—"beautiful, but disastrous without my knowing," as he puts it—and a few minutes later, warm, white ash began to fall from the sky. "I know Helen was good," Philander thought, "but I didn't think she could set off a volcano." When he got back to his bar, everything went dark—so dark that he couldn't even see Celsa sitting next to him. "That's no bullshit," he says, "it was just that black and dark."

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/..._dad_and_the_eruption_of_mount_pinatubo_.html

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Move over, Charlie Sheen!