Denmark - Sweden

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Big balls, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    So Sweden is basically out. Considering that they have not had 1! good game so far, winning in copenhagen seems impossible. After putting on the worst showing against Malta since 1974, Sweden needs to win by a 3 goal margin against Denmark in order to have a chance at finishing first. A simple win would put them 2nd. I would settle for a crap match that ends up 1-2 to Sweden but I don't see it.

Prediction, 1-0 Denmark after a match that would make any fan of football cry.

2. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's a big game for Sweden and Denmark - I guess the good news is that IF they do win then Sweden has a chance to win the group and avoid the playoff.

I also think Hungary will battle for points in Portugal - they have nothing to lose and the Portugese are in even more of a "must win" than Sweden. It will be a tense game... I could see another 0-0 draw for the Portugese which would be wonderful!

It will be a very big game.

3. ifkgötet

ifkgötet Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Göteborg/Borås
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Don´t be so negative bigballs :). I just had to write that hehe....

4. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Good one mate ;) . I tried to accept you on the friendlist, did I succeed ?. I am lost at sea at this forum. Dunno where the friendlist is, dunno anything.

5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    "Sweden needs to win by a 3 goal margin against Denmark in order to have a chance at finishing first."

That's overstating it. If Sweden wins by two in CPH, they would be plus 8 in goals to the Danes plus 9. Sweden would then just need to pepper Albania's net with three or so goals on 14/10 and they would probably be SA bound. You're also assuming that Denmark will get three points from the Huns on 14/10, which is not a sure thing by any means.

This group is still fluid, it can go a lot of different ways.

6. ifkgötet

ifkgötet Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Göteborg/Borås
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Haha, it is registered. Let´s hope at least for the second spot. I am contempt with the developement of the group at the moment. Not long ago it looked very bleak indeed.:cool: Better times hopefully. I like Denmark as well. I wish them well if they go through. But when it´s time to meet them obviously one roots for Sweden.

Ha´de gött BigBalls.

7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'm confused. As long as Sweden finishes second there is a very good chance they will be among the best 8 of 9 group runner ups.

In order to take second:

1. Sweden beats Denmark and Albania... off to the playoffs (with a remote chance of catching Denmark for first)
    2. If Hungary-Portugal draw in Portugal... Sweden must only win 1 of the two final games to get to the playoffs.

Really, Sweden needs to beat Denmark and then see what happens.

I think Denmark will play for a draw.

The best thing that can happen to Sweden outside their own game is a Hungary-Portugal draw.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Unless some crazy guy attack the referee, Denmark and Sweden will most likely hold each other to a draw...as usual..

9. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes, that's what I'm afraid of... then we will need some self-destruct magic from Hungary-Portugal (like a draw themselves).

Denmark benefits from a win or a draw but for Sweden a draw leaves their fate in someone else's hands.

10. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    I think Sweden's last match and the entire qualifier has to be taken into account. They've had a constant struggle scoring goals throughout the entire qualifying campaign.

They might be able to get 0-0 in CPH but that will be a useless result since Portugal will never lose to Hungary at home and I'm positive that their GS against Malta will be nothing like Sweden's.

The one positive thing is that they are going into the match knowing that they are playing for their survival.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sweden has to win whereas Denmark needs just a draw. But I'm sure the Danes will be out for blood. I hope Sweden wins only so they can then defeat Albania. No Portugal for the World Cup, i'm hoping for.

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I am rooting for a Danish win... only because it's part of the crazy scenario that needs to happen in this group for Norway to go to the playoffs. :D

13. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    What is the story, do you get +6 points automatically ?. I just heard this, never thought it was this much. If that's true, it's f'ing crazy. Confused, fill me in.

14. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Confused, fill me in.

The way it works, for all the groups except Norway's group (which only has 5 teams) the matches against the 6th place team are discarded. So for example, Sweden's two wins against Malta are deducted from their point total, giving them 9 points as of today. But Group 1 is a non-starter for Norway. Portugal already has 10 points even with the Malta points deducted, so they would have to lose to Malta at home for Norway to advance ahead of them! Not even a one in a thousand chance of that happening.

Norway's only real "shot", if you can call it that, is in Group 8, where Ireland would have to lose to both Italy and Montenegro, and Bulgaria would have to fail to win both of its remaining matches. Also not going to happen, but Zeek is entitled to dream, I guess.

15. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Understood, thanks mate. Regardless the scenario, it seems Sweden won't be making it to SA. Should the yellow and blue pull off a great performance against Denmark and win the game, they'll probably end up 2nd and face a European powerhouse.

FIFA, the house of foul play decided to put the top rank against the bottom rank even though every team fought the same through months and months. Should Sweden get 2nd spot, anyone but Germany.

16. xibalba89

xibalba89 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden Squad List Announced:

Goalkeepers: Andreas Isaksson (PSV Eindhoven), Eddie Gustafsson (Salzburg)

Defenders: Andreas Granqvist (Groningen), Petter Hansson (Rennes), Mikael Lustig (Rosenborg), Daniel Majstorovic (AEK Athens), Olof Mellberg (Olympiakos), Mikael Nilsson (Brondby), Behrang Safari (Basel), Oscar Wendt (FC Copenhagen)

Midfielders: Rasmus Elm (Kalmar), Samuel Holmen (Brondby), Kim Kallstrom (Lyon), Sebastian Larsson (Birmingham), Anders Svensson (Elfsborg), Dusan Djuric (FC Zurich), Daniel Andersson (Malmo), Viktor Elm (Heerenveen)

Forwards: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Barcelona), Marcus Berg (Hamburger SV), Markus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen), Henrik Larsson (Helsingborg)

17. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland
    Not sure how this game will end, as both teams have some players in good form but will also miss some players through injury. I think the lack of Elmander and Wilhelmsson hurts Sweden more than the loss of Kahlenberg and Daniel Jensen for us. Overall the teams are (as usual) pretty evenly matched although Denmark obviously has home field advantage.

Given Sweden's recent form I doubt that they will put in more than two goals against us, but they're forced to if they want to ensure finishing first in the group as Denmark's home game against Hungary will be easier than Sweden's away game at Albania. Then again, given our recent form I doubt we'll score more than one goal, but that may very well be enough. All in all, it's going to be either a tie or a one-goal game, leaving everything unresolved until the last matchday.

18. Supermanager

Supermanager New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I agree that Sweden hasn't played well in this qualifier. My impression is that they play too defensive versus sides they should win over for instance.

Still, my guess is that they actually will win against Denmark, because simple quality of players indicate that they should, and that they finally are regarded as underdogs, which is what they need to be able to play well :)

19. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    I can't say for sure about Wilhelmsson's current physical status but AFAIK, he's fine. He was fit to play against Hungary and Malta but was left out of the squad so he seems to be drifting away from the NT. Elmander is back from injury.

I agree with your thoughts on the game but Sweden's match against Albania is not away.

I'm starting to feel a bit more hopeful now. I haven't heard any of the players or Lagerbäck talking about going to war for every inch before in the qualifier. A very much needed fire seems to be burning in the squad now. In the past games, the mood has always been so annoyingly relaxed, no matter how many points we lose, Lagerbäck seems to have been ok with it and there's always a tomorrow.

Perhaps a Swedish win is not impossible, although it looks that way if you check the history. Denmark has not lost a WC QF match in Copenhagen since 1981!, very impressive.

20. ifkgötet

ifkgötet Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Göteborg/Borås
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    I wont be doing the same mistake I´ve done in the past, having a severly negetive mind-set towards Sweden´s chances in big games. I will just for the moment try to live with the hope that we will qualify for the WC. Hopefuly on the expence of Portugal. Please let Sweden and Denmark go through!

Kind Regards from a politically correct swede :)

....and go Scandinavia.

21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hi, I'm here in Copenhagen for the big match. Just wondering if anyone knows where the supporters congregate prior to the match, maybe yell at each other, LOL. Hopefully no fights. I assume that around the central train station is a good guess, but I don't really know. Any suggestions? Thanks.

22. Triceratops

Triceratops New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Lund, Sweden SSR
    Just go along Ströget (famous street) you'll be sure to find them

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets go Denmark!

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this should be a good game.. I guess the days when Sweden + Denmark were reaching the quarterfinals of major tournies regularly but it's always good to have at least one Scandanavian team in - good luck guys... may the best team win - or both qualify!

25. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland