Dempsey: Fulham v Newcastle 11:00am 11/9

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by arsenalfc08, Nov 9, 2008.

1. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    don't mess with the narrative, man. he was ronaldhino out there.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    seriously though, from the fulhamfc.com match report (obviously slightly biased):

Seriously though, until Fulham lost all composure in the last ten minutes, Clint looked like he was having a blast out there.

3. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Dodgy PK call, but I can't tell what the hell was wrong with Dempsey's pass...looked perfectly good to me.

4. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looked a blatant penalty to me.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't think Dempsey and AJ were on the same page initially for that pass, but AJ very nicely changed his run immediately (after maybe pushing off another defender) and got to it. Otherwise I thought it was a good pass.

More importantly, though, was that Fulham had been pinned back for most o the half and they were giving the ball away with almost every other touch. Dempsey creating a penalty with his first touch of the ball was significant because it was the first really creative and forward looking play Fulham had executed in quite a while, and after that Fulham had much more of the run of play.

6. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint looked really crisp today.

If he leaves Fulham, I think another Prem team would take him.

7. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if AJ adjusted or was feinting, but Dempsey put the ball in the only spot where it was dangerous -- splitting the defenders with just enough weight to run on to without it getting through to the keeper

QFT

8. BKcitystriker

BKcitystriker Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I agree, I thought the pass in was fine to force the PK.

Clint had more of a contribution to the game in 30 minutes then Gera had in 60, I think we can all agree.

His best spurt, had a nice little piece of juggling skill that got the crowd going, went right down the right channel, then ultimately set up Davies for a near miss.

Looked crisp and confident... no real complaints, a good win a home for the cottagers.

9. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago

like clockwork.

10. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have or found a clip of Dempseys sombrero? Rep to anyone who has a link.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It wasn't really highlight reel material, just a nice, tidy play to keep possession under pressure. But since it led to a scoring opportunity, it might show up in an extended highlights clip.

12. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey was great in the attacking end, no doubt.

In the rest of the field, I see why he might fight for play time. He had several pointless giveaways and he doesn't often end up in a position to help anyone. He's fun to watch but one-dimensional.

13. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was some speculation by a smart fulham blogger at the game that he was brought on to help with def. coverage, as gera was lacking in that department today... lest we forget, dempsey has played d-mid for the revs... we just know him more as an attacking player.

not a good d-mid, mind you... but if his mind's set on tracking back, he knows what to do.

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It's kind of amazing to think that Fulham have had one of the best defenses in the league this season (only Chelsea and Liverpool have conceded less goals) without a true destroyer in the midfield. I mean Danny Murphy tracks back and gets stuck in a lot, especially for a former attacking midfielder, but neither he nor Bullard are true defensive midfielders.

15. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I think he just tries, that's the thing, you could never say he's a lazy player. If you tell him to get stuck in, then he'll do it even though he is not a defensive player.

16. mick357

mick357 New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Dempsey created 3 of the 4 best scoring chances, one the penalty, in limited minutes. I understand that Roy sees value in hard working consistent players and Dempsey can lack consistency but not effort. However, I didn't see a more creative player for Fulham.

I see him best as the right A-mid in a 4-3-2-1, with the nats too.